SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Help confirming boat choice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/38204-help-confirming-boat-choice.html)

daddyhobbit 11-04-2007 12:00 AM

Help confirming boat choice

Ok my wife says HMM we should buy a bigger boat and live abord. I am all for it. However, now comes the question what size boat and what kind? I am thinking a pilot house in the 40-50 foot range. I worry that the bigger we go the harder it will be to maintiain and sail for two people. Any thoughts? We have looked at a young sun 43 in Virginia and a Hudson Force 50 on the west coast. The force 50 is a little intimidating to cruise with only two people, however, it would be like not leaving the house.

sailingdog 11-04-2007 03:03 AM

Might want to look at a smaller catamaran. Many smaller catamarans, like the Gemini 105, Iroquois, MaineCat30, TomCat30, and such are going to provide almost as much space as a 40-50' monohull, yet be easier to sail and maintain. :D Just a thought.

It would help if you said where you plan on sailing the boat, and what kind of sailing you plan on doing. Also, are you going to be living aboard it?

Valiente 11-04-2007 09:30 AM

Once again, this is a question with insufficient background information. If you are just looking for something to daysail off a fixed dock, get a trawler. If you intend to live aboard while anchoring in a Pacific atoll 500 miles from fuel, you might get an entirely different boat than if you are island-hopping in the Leewards.

In some circumstances, a cat is a great choice, and certainly better than a monohull. But I personally consider those circumstances relatively limited, unless you are considering the sort of "oceanic" cats the South Africans and to a lesser extent the French are building.

Tell us how you intend to *use* the boat, today and five years down the road, and we are generally happy to advise. I own a steel pilothouse, but it's not for the layout, and that pilothouse gets extremely toasty in the summer at dock, but then I don't anticipate being at dock, if you follow.

sailingdog 11-04-2007 10:02 AM

Those oceanic cats are really pricey... :)

Never thought of your boat as a floating dutch oven...but I guess it kind of is, with the greenhouse effect from the pilothouse windows. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 217072)
Once again, this is a question with insufficient background information. If you are just looking for something to daysail off a fixed dock, get a trawler. If you intend to live aboard while anchoring in a Pacific atoll 500 miles from fuel, you might get an entirely different boat than if you are island-hopping in the Leewards.

In some circumstances, a cat is a great choice, and certainly better than a monohull. But I personally consider those circumstances relatively limited, unless you are considering the sort of "oceanic" cats the South Africans and to a lesser extent the French are building.

Tell us how you intend to *use* the boat, today and five years down the road, and we are generally happy to advise. I own a steel pilothouse, but it's not for the layout, and that pilothouse gets extremely toasty in the summer at dock, but then I don't anticipate being at dock, if you follow.

AjariBonten 11-04-2007 11:06 AM

I like water, what should I buy?;)

Just ribbing you, hobbit.....:)

Welcome aboard, stick around and read lots. Post too, you'll soon learn a lot and refine your question about 200 times before answering it yourself.....;)

So are you planning on punting the Brandywine, or setting off West from the Havens ....;)

Shack 11-10-2007 10:43 PM

40' Pilot House

Mr. Froto,
I just moved aboard a 43' pilot house. We decided that the ratio of sailing to living was going to be bigger on the "living" aspect than on the sailing. That guided our choice. You may wish to examine your prefered boats under a similalr analysis.

There are many 40' boats that are designed for a crew of two to handle. Get an auto-pilot, and single handing is very feasible. Two people handled our boat in heavier seas and moderate winds without complication.

Note: the pilot house serves as an excellent "extra room" when in port and as a foul weather helm when under-way.

Good luck & fair winds...

Valiente 11-11-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 217096)
Those oceanic cats are really pricey... :)

Never thought of your boat as a floating dutch oven...but I guess it kind of is, with the greenhouse effect from the pilothouse windows. :D

I have a number of hatches that help, and the saloon and the aft cabin stay cool...but it's weird at dock when the A/C is keeping fore and aft chilly and having very little effect on the pilothouse itself.

I have screens, but I need to screw in snaps for them, particularly on the west side. I'm going to perhaps insulate the roof more, as well. When I'm sailing, it's fine, and the engine doesn't heat it up at all...it's just the sun.

sailingdog 11-11-2007 11:12 AM

Valiente-

What did you expect from sailing in a big dutch oven with a mast. :)