Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Status Report

To the friends I've made here lately - here's and update and a big THANKS for the encouragment and support. THANK YOU!!

The wife and I are into our first week living board (with our dog). Not only have we moved aboard but we have move states, new job, and moved the boat over 200 miles in the process after my return from deployment. I'm in the military and we timed this move aboard with a change of station. I'm burning leave before I check into work, and we are currently stocking our boat and getting our systems and communications on-line (in a home-like living status).

We just got back on internet with Verizon's BroadbandAccess. It's good to go! We get 800-1400 KBps. Appears just a a few seconds slower than Roadrunner Cable ISP for high volume down loads. No difference for web surfing. (Again, its GTG!). No shore connection needed, cell signal equals internet access! At $60 per month, I recommend it.
I am not nor is my spouse employed by Verison Wireless or any of their subsidieries

We just had some other liveaboards aboard for beer and snacks and to celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday! Now I sit here in a quiet warm cabin finishing my Guiness and listening to Irish drinking songs while the wife turned in early. More work tomorrow after church.

It has been stressful - all the changes. New city, new living environment, etc. New expectations. Some tense moments between me and the wife where expecations of time and priorities are concerned, but the lager helps. The most helpful are the people around me. I think that I have the most helpful group of liveaboards in the world around us that are assisting us to finish the last (and often most difficult) 10% of all the little challenges that pop up. Its been a great experience so far. Frustrations, concerns, bills, anxieties, etc... But in the greater proportion of it all - it has all been worth it. Its great to be finally living aboard!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Welcome back Shack! More than glad you're back safely and I'd guess that Semper Fi covers the rest. Keep us updated frequently. Where'd you relocate to?
Old 11-10-2007

Where?

Sailaway,
We're holed up in a little marina outside of Wash DC (Tantallon Marina in FOrt Washington). The tides are an issue for getting in and out, but its alot closer commute than a single family home in Fredicksburg .... cheaper, too.

Lots of wildlife (both human and animal!!)
Old 11-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome back, congrats and glad to see things are working out. You're in MD now???
If so, which marina?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2007

Red face Which Marina?

UH .... thanks Dog. Please see the previous post.

Not trying to bust your chops. YOU have been of help in particular to us making to the live aboard life. Thanks Sailingdog!!!

Anytime you're down our way, you have a friend in-deed.
Old 11-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL.. you must have posted that while I was writing my post. I load a lot of pages and then start writing responses, so I don't always have the most recent posts in a thread. I'm pretty familiar with Fort Washington, since I used to live down in Northern Virginia, and have friends who live in Fort Wash.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-11-2007

Fort Washington

Well, your friends are now friends of mine.

None of these guys (friends) knows anyone who does dredging?? Pretty shallow here in the mouth of our creek. Its a tight fit.

Take care & fair winds to you.
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

Draft isn't really a big issue for me. With a boar dup draft of 15"... I can get into most harbors and anchorages without too many issues.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey...that's great for you guys Shack. Happy Vet's Day!!
Old 11-11-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Well done. What type of boat do you have? I've been told mine looks like a Humvee, so a Marine would probably appreciate it.