Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I'm pretty much alligned with Xort's postings. We fill our tanks periodically while at the dock, twice a month if we're using water freely, to keep our tanks fresh. Years ago we did have shore pressure water attached and came home to find four inches of water above our bildge ceiling. Our pet monkey, long from our boat now, had reached from his cage and worried a hose fitting until it failed. I also value the freedom to leave the dock without excessive amounts of detachments and alterations,-easier for an afternoon sail! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'm not talking about a pressure regulator failure. Any failure in the pressure water system could lead to the vessel sinking. Turning the water off is far safer than relying on any device.

I was responding to the comment made by Stoneage regarding regulators which typically is not the weak link in any system. Already mentioned that it's considered best to shut off the supply when unattended.

Last edited by k1vsk; 12-26-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2008

Captsomer is on a distinguished road
I would never hook my boat up to city water. I just don't see the point in taking the chance. Its not that hard to fill your tanks. Even in the winter. I have a 100 gal. tank and I get about 2 weeks with no problem. (a shower every day, some dishes, drinking, etc.) I don't really work hard to conserve. If my girlfriend stays over I might have to fill up a few days early though... In thirteen or so years of living aboard, I've only run out of water two times. You learn.

I power my system with a 12 volt pump and run the water through a charcoal filter like you find at the hardware store for homes. This keeps any grit out of my system and gives me clean, good tasting water all the time. I change the filter a few times a year.