Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
TB
Healthy looking Basil Brush you have there. Must inform the Ms W, she will be beside herself. Life without Basil is not something that appeals. Me she could live without but fresh Basil ? No Way, Manuel. mmmmm Fresh tomato, drizzle of olive oil and some chopped fresh basil on toast, ground pepper. Breakfast of Wombats.

AB,
Parrot. Norwegian Blue. Sleeps a lot but lovely plummage.
TD,
It's unreal how bushy basil plants become in the greenhouse environment of our pilothouse. There's glass overhead and on all sides. A trick is to only harvest the top leaves of stems and branches. This promotes rapid new growth to emerge - creating a denser plant.

Bruscetta is what you described . . . at least what we call it - great for snacking, as a light brunch or accompanying a meal. I like to slice up some crusty, rustic bread, drizzle both sides with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and grill on a very hot ridged grill pan over the cooktop - turning once. Chopped fresh tomatoes (seeded), fresh basil, and fresh grated parmesan cheese are then added to each slice, drizzled with more EVOO - good eats. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll place it in the oven for a minute, till the cheese melts.

We also use it on a variety of other foods, grilled panini cheese and tomato sandwiches, soups, stews, baked eggplant parmesan (propane oven), pan grilled sliced sausage, onions & bell peppers with olive oil over angel hair pasta, my fresh littleneck clam & mussels zuppa (harvested from the shoreline at low tide), tomato sauce/pasta dishes . . . I could go on & on, but you get the picture. We love basil.
Old 11-21-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Sixty dollar haircuts??? No dog is THAT cute! I thought only Giu could afford that!

Gotta get me some mint!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
I would like to have a bonsai tree....
Just to be able to smell dirt when 500 miles offshore...
Old 11-21-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Sixty dollar haircuts??? No dog is THAT cute! I thought only Giu could afford that!

Gotta get me some mint!
I still can't accept that Don - even though it is my wife's "baby" . . . my haircut only costs me $12.95 from SuperCuts.
Old 11-21-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you could take the dog to the local barber college for a 5 buck trim! I pay 11 dollars for a haircut, my wife pays 25, and my dog does his own (he sheds a LOT). Skipper is a thoroughbred Schipperke, which according to a recent article in BoatUS magazine, is the perfect boat dog. Because of the shedding, I am beginning to think ceramic is the perfect boat dog!
Old 11-21-2007
Señor Member

We've had two shih-tzus within the past 18 years and accepted the fact that these dogs needed professional grooming - their hair is like ours, doesn't shed, but keeps growing.

The grooming rates started at $30, back with our last dog's first cut. But because of all the pet-groomers raising their rates through the years, we bought one of those Wahl pet grooming kits a while back. My wife has no aptitude for this sort of thing - but had good intentions that I would learn to do it - saving us a bundle.

The kit came with an instructional DVD for all breeds - even a 15 minute segment on shih-tzus. Also, included with the electric clippers were many attachment heads, hand shears, toe nail clippers, ear hair pluckers and assorted combs/brushes - all very intimidating stuff to learn to use, especially for a macho guy like myself (g). This dog even has a special toothbrush and Vet-approved toothpaste.

After the first time I attempted grooming our last dog, she looked like the victim of an unfortunate lawn tractor accident. I did get a little better at it, but people quit stooping down to pet the dog. When the groomer did her, she got all kinds of attention. Instead, they asked what breed it was, or said stuff like, "It's so noble of you to rescue dogs from our pet shelters".

So now, I've gone back to getting porked by "Perry" of Perry's Plush Pooch every 6-7 weeks.
Old 11-21-2007

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
sorry i dont have any pics of the mint plant but if you use it often it gets real bushy. You dont need a gimbaled pot either. just a hanging pot does well. i take it down when under way though.
Wish i did get a pic now. it even has a name.
Benjerman Franklin
Get it? like benjerman franklin mint..............
Anyone else grow plants? i was hoping to try some more that dont need much care. A form of tomato would be great.
When i leave the boat for a few days i make sure i water it well and then take him down and put him in the cockpit.
I am moored in brackish water of the ct river so some may have varied results if constantly out in the salt.
to do this i buy mint from the grocery store and what i dont use i put in a glass of water (i do this in the winter) by summer some dies off but some grows a large root ball. then go buy a cheap plastic hanging pot. plant it and let it start to thrive, then it does best if you abuse it. use it often and it just keeps growing back.
if anyone is in the ct river next season stop by for a mojito!!!
Old 11-21-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Would be nice to have a small herb garden for fresh herbs. A small planter box with a few of the herbs that you want to be fresh. And a way to lash it down so that it and the herbs stay put in rough weax.
And for company my sweet maine coon mixed cat. Moderately long hair, a long fluffy tail and the disposition of a Linx. She'll hunt anything that moves.
Old 11-21-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
She'll hunt anything that moves.
Good for the "other" critter thread .......
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-21-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Cannabis makes a good herb if the climate is warm enough. Lots of uses for hemp on a boat

And as for the "***** licker" (don't get me started on THAT thread), why in god's name not do it yourself? We also own a poofball/elephant tampon, and I shave her. The wife does prefer a professional grooming but that's pissing away money IMO.

This almost belongs on the liveaboard class thread.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.