Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
I found this on the dock the other day but my wife won't let me keep it. Seemed well trained and doesn't shed.
I think she graduates from high school next year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering you probably have grandchildren her age... I'm not too surprised...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
I found this on the dock the other day but my wife won't let me keep it. Seemed well trained and doesn't shed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-21-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I think she graduates from high school next year.
My guess was - just entering high school . . . makeup, unfortunately, visually changes a 13 year old.
Old 11-21-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
My guess was - just entering high school . . . makeup, unfortunately, visually changes a 13 year old.
I'm sooo glad I don't have a daughter...I'd be so worried. Geez........
Old 11-21-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
TD,
It's unreal how bushy basil plants become in the greenhouse environment of our pilothouse. There's glass overhead and on all sides. A trick is to only harvest the top leaves of stems and branches. This promotes rapid new growth to emerge - creating a denser plant.

Bruscetta is what you described . . . at least what we call it - great for snacking, as a light brunch or accompanying a meal. I like to slice up some crusty, rustic bread, drizzle both sides with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) and grill on a very hot ridged grill pan over the cooktop - turning once. Chopped fresh tomatoes (seeded), fresh basil, and fresh grated parmesan cheese are then added to each slice, drizzled with more EVOO - good eats. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll place it in the oven for a minute, till the cheese melts.

We also use it on a variety of other foods, grilled panini cheese and tomato sandwiches, soups, stews, baked eggplant parmesan (propane oven), pan grilled sliced sausage, onions & bell peppers with olive oil over angel hair pasta, my fresh littleneck clam & mussels zuppa (harvested from the shoreline at low tide), tomato sauce/pasta dishes . . . I could go on & on, but you get the picture. We love basil.

Not quite Bruscetta, no onion and the tomato just sliced not diced but yeah, that's the general idea. Maybe Ms Wombat will have more luck keeping the basil loving caterpillers at bay on board than she does at home.

The Spaniels have a thing where they take a slice of bread toasted on one side only then you pour some olive oil (evoo of course) onto the bread , rub into that some garlic and then some very ripe tomato. Pan con Tomate they call it. With a side order of Jamon (the black foot acorn eating pig type Pata Negro sp ?? not sure) and a plate of freshly grilled or steamed prawns (shrimps to you lot). Whenever I go to Spain, the first thing I do is find a little cafe and get me some of that.

PS to Alex - Portuguese version of Pan con Tomate ?

(edit) suffice it to say whether on TB or the Womboat the TBs and Wombats would be guaranteed a meal to each others liking.

pps - basil is sorted, now find me a 12v juicer (not citrus. carrots, apples and the like) and she will have no more excuses not to buy a bigger boat and move aboard.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-21-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
The Spaniels have a thing where they take a slice of bread toasted on one side only then you pour some olive oil (evoo of course) onto the bread , rub into that some garlic and then some very ripe tomato. Pan con Tomate they call it. With a side order of Jamon (the black foot acorn eating pig type Pata Negro sp ?? not sure) and a plate of freshly grilled or steamed prawns (shrimps to you lot). Whenever I go to Spain, the first thing I do is find a little cafe and get me some of that.
Actually that is not a Spanish recepy but a Maltese one, based on and Italian recepy.

The name is Ħobz biz-Zejt , and it dates back to the famous great siege of Malta in 1565 (See here), when the seiged people had nothing more to eat but oil thin bread and a few tomatoes.

They rubbed the tomato on the bread so one tomato could feed many people.

Tha Spanish really...really..never invented anything, other than killing indians, bad weather, bad marriages with portuguese royalty, and plague, disease, and the Miura bull...that's pretty much it.....
Old 11-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey TB...if they charge $60 to cut the bristles on your "***** licker" boat cleaner mop, how much would they charge to cut my KING SIZE FAMILY MODEL REAL PEOPLE mail man eater??? (G)

my dogs don't go on the boat...the idiot above jumps in the water and last time he did that I had to get the dinghy in the water and tow him to a beach, to get him of the ocean.
Old 11-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

What, you didn't want 100 gallons of sea water on your boat walking around in the shape of a furry four-legged mop???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Giu-

What, you didn't want 100 gallons of sea water on your boat walking around in the shape of a furry four-legged mop???
Nahh..stupid idiot jumped in the water, he then off course couldn't get up, I rigged a few ropes and tried to lift him up with the boom, but he wouldn't stop moving, and altered the center of gravity several times, resulting in dog head first dives...he then got scared of the boom and would swim away from the boat.

I finnally got the dinghy in the water, and motored about 1 mile to the beach in Estoril, towing him behind the dinghy, where I got him in the dinghy, motored back to Giulietta and he got back on the boat thru the transom cut.

I then tied him to the winch.

He's an idiot, but he likes water.

He weighs 65Kg dry, I assume with the wet hair, he weighed around 160lbs..

At least TB's ***** licker is good to pick up with a bucket....
Old 11-21-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Considering you probably have grandchildren her age... I'm not too surprised...
Dream on, old man. My daughter's just 19 and when we're out together we often get confused as a couple. Why, just last year I got carded at an appleby's restaurant (so the light was bad, as my wife keeps bitterly reminding me).

Lots of advantages in looking young for one's age
364 feet

our life afloat: