Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Big Wuss... you're in southern California...what the hell do you need heaters for???? Wimp...

Cuuuuuuuzzzzzzzz, I'm a big wuss and I refuse to put away the board shorts and T-shirts
Old 12-02-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
12 am, actual outside temp is 21įF and very windy, It's around 60 or so inside w/ the heater running a lot.

I have to get some insulation sunday.... Q-Berth is my biggest heat loss and cold draft maker. Should I just seal it off or insulate it?

Anyone ever use that foil outer wrap w/ bubble inside flexible insulation?
i used 2 layers of that stuff inside some v-berth lockers that were getting clothes wet with the condensation emitted from some strenuous exercise twix the mate and meself. got rid of about say 80%, but there was a lot of heavy breathing and it's damn cold and damp out here. for the price and the fact that it doesn't use up a lot of space, i think it's a good insulation.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2007
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
North Florida

I use 2 candles It gets cold here and I have a heat pump onboard. If it gets to cold I head futher south.

Fair Winds

Capn Dave

Last edited by capn_dave; 12-02-2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Not formatted properly
Old 12-02-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Solar Heating

I don't know what the big fuss is about. I use solar heating, like today, old Sol is cranking out 82 degrees F. Sailboats have sail and motors, they were built to follow the sun. I vote for solar heating and flip flops!

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 12-02-2007

philsboat is on a distinguished road
My wife and I aren't liveaboards but we keep our house cool at night(14 c).While in N.Z. this year we were introduced to mattress heaters(most rental cabins had them).We bought one for home and love it!I'm sure it would be great on a boat.It uses very little power.
Phil
Old 12-02-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
it's damn cold and damp out here.

for the price and the fact that it doesn't use up a lot of space, i think it's a good insulation.
Thanks!

It's damp and cold here also, zone 6 and we do get cold snowy winters.

It's $37 a roll here for 3' x 25', $27 for 16" x 25' and a lot less messy than fiberglass. some duct tape to hold it in place should be ok for now. I'll be gluing it in permanent w/ Naugahyde covering to match the interior when it's warmer out.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 12-02-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsboat View Post
My wife and I aren't liveaboards but we keep our house cool at night(14 c).While in N.Z. this year we were introduced to mattress heaters(most rental cabins had them).We bought one for home and love it!I'm sure it would be great on a boat.It uses very little power.
Phil
you could do the same with electric blankets, but it still means getting up to a bloody cold boat. besides, i wonder what it does to your dna to spend 8 hours every night wrapped in an electromagnetic field like that.

and for the fellow with the ft. lauderdale bragging rights, let's all follow his advice and every last one of us move next door to him. hope he's got lots of rum
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 12-02-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Smile Rum

and for the fellow with the ft. lauderdale bragging rights, let's all follow his advice and every last one of us move next door to him. hope he's got lots of rum[/QUOTE]

You're welcome anytime, we do look for an excuse now and then. First bottle is on me!

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 12-02-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
it feels like it is spring here. december 2 and it is 63 degrees outside. this weather is really different.... i'm trying to decide whether this global warming is a good or bad thing. it is nice having rain instead of sleet and ice the only problem i have is condensation on the windows. i know a large part of this is because of warming the boat up and cooling it back off at night or when i am gone during the day. burning propane doesn't help much either. i will say that electric sure helps dry things up although with the prices being the way they are i am running my electric heaters only when i am not on board, etc. any ideas as far as mositure and condensation goes? i wish this weather would last...i know by january it is going to come back and bite me.
Old 12-02-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Annapolis MD. I have a Webasto Airtop 3500 forced-air diesel heater, unfortunately out for service. Until it comes back, I'm running both heat pumps and have an oil-filled radiator for backup in case the water temperature drops too far.

Regardless, the water heater keeps the engine room nice and warm, so the engine cranks up easily. Had a lovely sail yesterday morning with air temps in the high 30s.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.