Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1343 View Post
the only problem i have is condensation on the windows. i know a large part of this is because of warming the boat up and cooling it back off at night or when i am gone during the day. burning propane doesn't help much either. i will say that electric sure helps dry things up although with the prices being the way they are i am running my electric heaters only when i am not on board, etc. any ideas as far as mositure and condensation goes?
Consider buying a de-humidifier.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it feels like it is spring here. december 2 and it is 63 degrees outside. this weather is really different.... i'm trying to decide whether this global warming is a good or bad thing. :
Global warming??? Ken looks outside, err, a few flurries here (R.I.) already and a big storm coming in tonight that's supposed to hammer the Mass. and northern N.E.folks!

Radar map, RI,Ma.Ct.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2007

hollyp is on a distinguished road
Portland, OR. Snowed a little yesterday. Two electric ceramic heaters running full time on our big power boat (have to keep the parrot warm you know) and electric blanket at night. We like it really warm in here, like 78-80 degrees. We have a big old espar but can't find a replacement spark generator to get it working, Very, very frustrating. On our sailboat, we use a wallas diesel heater/stove and it takes a while to heat the cabin up but once it's warm it maintains it 78-80 degrees on high and uses very little fuel, doesn't smoke or smell bad, and id fairly quiet. It's nice to off shore power but I always miss the electric blanket.
Old 12-02-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
Global warming??? Ken looks outside, err, a few flurries here (R.I.) already and a big storm coming in tonight that's supposed to hammer the Mass. and northern N.E.folks!
hopefully you will get this warm spell that just ran through. but for this time of year we have yet to get the cold weather that is normally around by now. i'm not complaining though
Old 12-03-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... the only problem i have is condensation on the windows....
Try some thermal film on the ports. They come in many variations - tint, densisty, heat reflectivity, etc - depending on desired use. I don't have the site handy but look for "GILA". Do not get the low quality junk made for cars! GILA films are made for home and office glass.

I first used such a film during a record 100 yr cold winter. This was during the energy crisis of the late 1970's and I found it in a home/hardware store. Viewed from the outside it had a gold tint which made it difficult for outsiders to see in (we had big portlights). From the inside it cut down only a little on the light and added a slight warmth tones to the color.

But the big dif was on heating and cooling. Before using the film we had frost on the inside of the panes - it was that cold! After, we never had frost or condensation on the panes again. Plus we were cooler in the summer as it reflected back most of the heat in the sunlight.
Old 12-03-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
From the Gila website:

Can I put window film on plexiglass?

a. Plexiglass, acrylic, and lexan are three non-glass materials used to make skylights, sidelights on front doors, storm door panes, and garage door windows. The advantage of these "plastic? materials is that they are more impact-resistant than glass. They are often more durable in certain window locations than glass.

b. Window film adhesive is not designed for these "plastic" windows. Changes in temperature cause natural expansion and contraction of both plexiglass and window film. The plexiglass and the film expand and contract at different rates, which causes the film to buckle and lift off the glass.

c. If you want to reflect more heat, you may cut a piece of Heat Control film to the size and shape of the window. Leave the clear liner on the film, and mount the outside of the curl of the film onto the glass after you put a ¼" border of double-sided tape around the inside perimeter of the window.

d. Do not try to apply film to compound-curved or domed skylights. Window film will not stretch to conform to these 3-D surfaces; but it can crease, pucker, and wrinkle badly if you try to force it to fit.
Old 12-03-2007

Lion35 is on a distinguished road
I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. I use one 1500w heater and it's plenty for our mild winters, specially with a wood hull for insulation.
Old 12-03-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
From the Gila website:
Can I put window film on plexiglass?
Hmmm.... Come to think of it, the panes on that boat I had were tempered glass.

Still, I wonder how much the expansion dif's would be on a port sized pane of plastic?
Old 12-03-2007

Tenaya is on a distinguished road
Last winter we stayed in the Netherlands. We have a WEBASTO diesel heater that is fantastic, but still went back to San Diego for the winter. This winter we are in southern Spain and I went for a walk on the beach in shorts. The sun is better than a heater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2007
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road
We are in NY Harbor

in sight of Manhatten and statue of liberty.
used styrofoam and relfrex insulation to help
have an electric oil-filled heater, an electric built in heater in aftcabin and a heat pump for salon. Once water reaches certain temp heat pump no longer works and then use dickinson diesel fireplace which pumps out tons of heat.
Also have a 750 watt bilge heater to stop bilge from getting cold soaked