SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   winter liveaboards call out (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/38939-winter-liveaboards-call-out.html)

sailor1343 12-01-2007 01:02 PM

winter liveaboards call out

i'm just curious where everyone is livingaboard this winter, what sort of heat you are running; if you don't i despise you.....maybe anything in particular that is enjoyable about the experience, or is just a pain in the rear.

to start i'm currently aboard in southern illinois. and yes, i can't wait to get out of this state. countdown: 2 years.... i run propane when i'm aboard and while i'm awake. i also use an oil filled electric radiant heater and a backup ceramic heater. despite the evening ice skating adventures i have returning to my slip everything is going great. and the sunsets are always better this time of year(in my opinion at least). so who else is out there?

theartfuldodger 12-01-2007 01:45 PM

Living aboard here in ST John's Newfoundland, use electric heat and the temperture is always around 70 degrees. Wouldn't live a shore as like being all cuddled up in my home here on the water, and besides I'm tied up to a brewery what more could one aske for.

Artful

sailor1343 12-01-2007 02:14 PM

tied up next to a brewery?!.....nice....

HoffaLives 12-01-2007 05:05 PM

we live in victoria harbour. woke up this am to snow covering the boat and docks. beeautiful! we have two 1500 watt heaters, but still find we need the dickenson stove now and then to get it real toasty.

read in the paper that this is supposed to be the coldest winter in more than a decade, thanks to la nina. the joke's on us, as this is our first winter on the boat. brrrrrrrrrr.

MacGyverRI 12-01-2007 07:01 PM

Warwick, R.I. I've been using a 1500 watt heater and it's worked well so far (it's been down to 25F) but it's going down to 14F tonight and I already found a few more drafts...

I'm getting a 6000 BTU propane heater which can be a wall or floor mount, indoor rated, vent free w/ auto CO shutoff this week. I will also bring in a 1/2" fresh air vent line from outside w/ a diffuser at the end so it wont get drafty (like you do w/ a wood stove), to help feed it and keep the CO negligible.

I had one of those heaters before, but a 30K BTU in my basement and did the same thing w/ an outside air line suppling it and never had a CO problem even w/ an air tight house.

winchmaster 12-01-2007 07:35 PM

I live in Michigan an often wonder about living on abroad, just couldn't talk the wife into the move.

djodenda 12-01-2007 07:54 PM

When I first moved from Oklahoma to the Puget Sound area, I lived aboard my Catalina 22 from February to June 2005.

I used a 1500 watt heater, and slept in a down sleeping bag on the starboard berth. I couldn't figure out why I was always cold sleeping, even with the heater on and the cabin thermometer reading in the 60s.

Finally, I figured out what was going on. The berth was below the waterline, and the cold from Puget Sound was pulling the heat from me.

I rigged a blanket to cut off the heat loss through the quarterberth and moved up to the V-Berth, which was a couple of inches above the waterline.

I was comfortable for the rest of the winter.

I still can't believe how long it took me to figure that out!

I miss my little boat.

poopdeckpappy 12-01-2007 10:59 PM

Aboard in San Diego, have two 1500w ceramic heaters, but only using one right now.

This year we bought travasacks for bedding and they're great, like sleeping in a heavy quilt

sailingdog 12-01-2007 11:48 PM

Big Wuss... you're in southern California...what the hell do you need heaters for???? Wimp... :D :D :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy (Post 231224)
Aboard in San Diego, have two 1500w ceramic heaters, but only using one right now.

This year we bought travasacks for bedding and they're great, like sleeping in a heavy quilt

MacGyverRI 12-02-2007 12:18 AM

12 am, actual outside temp is 21F and very windy, It's around 60 or so inside w/ the heater running a lot.

I have to get some insulation sunday.... Q-Berth is my biggest heat loss and cold draft maker. Should I just seal it off or insulate it?

Anyone ever use that foil outer wrap w/ bubble inside flexible insulation?