Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
Talking winter liveaboards call out

i'm just curious where everyone is livingaboard this winter, what sort of heat you are running; if you don't i despise you.....maybe anything in particular that is enjoyable about the experience, or is just a pain in the rear.

to start i'm currently aboard in southern illinois. and yes, i can't wait to get out of this state. countdown: 2 years.... i run propane when i'm aboard and while i'm awake. i also use an oil filled electric radiant heater and a backup ceramic heater. despite the evening ice skating adventures i have returning to my slip everything is going great. and the sunsets are always better this time of year(in my opinion at least). so who else is out there?
Old 12-01-2007

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Living aboard here in ST John's Newfoundland, use electric heat and the temperture is always around 70 degrees. Wouldn't live a shore as like being all cuddled up in my home here on the water, and besides I'm tied up to a brewery what more could one aske for.

Artful
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2007
aquaholic

sailor1343 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sailor1343
tied up next to a brewery?!.....nice....
Old 12-01-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
we live in victoria harbour. woke up this am to snow covering the boat and docks. beeautiful! we have two 1500 watt heaters, but still find we need the dickenson stove now and then to get it real toasty.

read in the paper that this is supposed to be the coldest winter in more than a decade, thanks to la nina. the joke's on us, as this is our first winter on the boat. brrrrrrrrrr.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Warwick, R.I. I've been using a 1500 watt heater and it's worked well so far (it's been down to 25F) but it's going down to 14F tonight and I already found a few more drafts...

I'm getting a 6000 BTU propane heater which can be a wall or floor mount, indoor rated, vent free w/ auto CO shutoff this week. I will also bring in a 1/2" fresh air vent line from outside w/ a diffuser at the end so it wont get drafty (like you do w/ a wood stove), to help feed it and keep the CO negligible.

I had one of those heaters before, but a 30K BTU in my basement and did the same thing w/ an outside air line suppling it and never had a CO problem even w/ an air tight house.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 12-01-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2007

winchmaster is on a distinguished road
I live in Michigan an often wonder about living on abroad, just couldn't talk the wife into the move.
Old 12-01-2007

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
When I first moved from Oklahoma to the Puget Sound area, I lived aboard my Catalina 22 from February to June 2005.

I used a 1500 watt heater, and slept in a down sleeping bag on the starboard berth. I couldn't figure out why I was always cold sleeping, even with the heater on and the cabin thermometer reading in the 60s.

Finally, I figured out what was going on. The berth was below the waterline, and the cold from Puget Sound was pulling the heat from me.

I rigged a blanket to cut off the heat loss through the quarterberth and moved up to the V-Berth, which was a couple of inches above the waterline.

I was comfortable for the rest of the winter.

I still can't believe how long it took me to figure that out!

I miss my little boat.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 12-01-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Aboard in San Diego, have two 1500w ceramic heaters, but only using one right now.

This year we bought travasacks for bedding and they're great, like sleeping in a heavy quilt

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Big Wuss... you're in southern California...what the hell do you need heaters for???? Wimp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Aboard in San Diego, have two 1500w ceramic heaters, but only using one right now.

This year we bought travasacks for bedding and they're great, like sleeping in a heavy quilt

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-02-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
12 am, actual outside temp is 21įF and very windy, It's around 60 or so inside w/ the heater running a lot.

I have to get some insulation sunday.... Q-Berth is my biggest heat loss and cold draft maker. Should I just seal it off or insulate it?

Anyone ever use that foil outer wrap w/ bubble inside flexible insulation?

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.