SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

how much clothing will we need

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
OK we are moving aboard and will be living in the Virgin Islands until the end of April when we will head north to the Chesapeake Bay for the summer. So how many pairs of shorts should we bring on board? Should my wife pack some capri pants for a cool spell? Never lived aboard full time and don't want to over pack or under pack.:rolleyes: Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
Jim

#3 ·
A lot depends on how much clothing you'll be wearing to begin with. I know some sailors that wear pretty close to nothing down in the Caribbean. Personally, I'd take some of the lighter sun-protective clothes, since I'm not a big fan of cancer...

It also helps if you buy and wear synthetics, which dry much faster than natural fibers.

Some stores specialize in travel clothing that might be of interest to you. Travelsmith.com and REI come to mind. Both have good sythetics that wear and feel like natural materials, but dry much more quickly.

One thing I prefer are the "convertible" pants, that have the zip-off legs and can be converted to shorts. The better ones are very comfortable and work in both very hot weather as well as cooler weather. The brand I prefer is Mountain Hardwear. I've got a couple of pairs of MTHW convertibles that are several years old and heavily used, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them.

#4 ·
Pack less than you think you will need. You can always buy more underwear if it wears out. There are clothing stores on most large islands. I carried a blazer and tie for three years for fancy dinners - never used them. One pair of nice long pants is useful; one or two dresses as well. Hats, shorts, tees, polos, bathing suits, and sun covers will cover 99% of what you need.

#8 ·
Daddyhobbit,
A couple of swimsuits; a few t-shirts; sun-screen; water shoes "Crocs" or similar. I'd have a pair of shorts for outings ashore. I sewed the fly closed on a few pairs of boxer shorts, not to be socially inept for guests onboard. If you wear light weight synthetics, laundry is a quick lather, rinse & dry. I would suggest that the complete wardrobe for carribean cruising can be packed within half the space of a small backpack. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#9 ·
Now at Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI... the most useful info I have seen is to pack the very minimum you think you will need... then unpack and toss out at least half ... probably more.

Guys a couple of shorts and shirts, 2 swim suits... under-ware and socks if your weird...
Good wide brim hat and a ball cap... good sunglasses and boat shoes... maybe some surf shoes due to the coral.

Girls... Away from harbors... most use very little... in harbors or in most towns they need more coverup than would would normally think when your outside the "resort" area.

Most frown on too much skin on women and men with no shirts.

A few places require a guy to have a shirt with collar... no t-shirts and women in summer dresses.... but these are generally the nicer places... but in town no halters and away from the boat or beach no swim suites.

But if your going to spend a lot of time away from the crowds.. stay in the shade and go nude as many do... sun screen is advisable... if your on the boat.. don't forget a bit into you nose.. and the tops of your eyes... use sports lotions so your eyes don't burn out

Well time for another sundowner... later from the Crib...

svRealityCheck Nanny Cay Tortola

#10 ·
Several years ago someone said to me "You don't dress like a live aboard" and I took that as a compliment! I always have at least one knit, black dress, which with a pair of sandals and a sarong around the shoulders makes you feel quite dressed up.Hike it up and you can climb in and out of the dink just fine. Long sleeve white shirts I think are a must to keep too much sun off. I agree with wide brim hats, lots of sunscreen (don't forget ears and tops of feet). My husband keeps a pair of kaki pants on the boat. The new stain, wrinkle resistant ones are great. Quick drying is a must. All cotton t shirts take a long time to dry so look at sportswear for quick drying alternatives. I love my Keen shoes-they can get wet, and I hiked for two weeks in Galapagos in them. You might be doing a lot of walking so it's nice to have some decent support for your feet.

#13 ·
How much clothing? How often do you want to do laundry? How does your wife feel about being seen in the same shorts five days in a row?

Most anywhere you go, there are clothing stores that the locals use (even if they aren't WalMart<G>) and you'll find clothing much more reasonably than in the tourist strips. Besides, it gives you a real everyday souvenir of where you've been.

I'd strongly suggest some "space bags" since they can really keep spare clothing dry--and COMPACT if you decide it isn't needed.

#14 ·
HS-

The "space bags" are a great idea... and they also keep the dirt and moths/bugs off the clothes too. :)

#15 ·
SD-
When pilots cross a coastline they often radio in "feet wet" or "feet dry" meaning they are over water or land.
Well...I kind of apply the same mindset to sailing. "Butt wet" and "Butt dry" and as long as the butt is warm and dry, I'm a happy sailor.[g]
"Butt wet" and "happy" are mutually exclusive, unless I'm swimming or better yet diving. Just one of those personal life choices.[g]

#16 ·
HS—

Well said... That's one reason i chose the boat I did... it's pretty dry compared to most monohulls and trimarans its size. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.