Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007

daddyhobbit is on a distinguished road
how much clothing will we need

OK we are moving aboard and will be living in the Virgin Islands until the end of April when we will head north to the Chesapeake Bay for the summer. So how many pairs of shorts should we bring on board? Should my wife pack some capri pants for a cool spell? Never lived aboard full time and don't want to over pack or under pack. Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Depends on how often you wanna do ya laundry.

Capri's look great on some woman.

Don't forget a dress code applies in certain places, you might not get in in shorts and thongs.
Old 12-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot depends on how much clothing you'll be wearing to begin with. I know some sailors that wear pretty close to nothing down in the Caribbean. Personally, I'd take some of the lighter sun-protective clothes, since I'm not a big fan of cancer...

It also helps if you buy and wear synthetics, which dry much faster than natural fibers.

Some stores specialize in travel clothing that might be of interest to you. Travelsmith.com and REI come to mind. Both have good sythetics that wear and feel like natural materials, but dry much more quickly.

One thing I prefer are the "convertible" pants, that have the zip-off legs and can be converted to shorts. The better ones are very comfortable and work in both very hot weather as well as cooler weather. The brand I prefer is Mountain Hardwear. I've got a couple of pairs of MTHW convertibles that are several years old and heavily used, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-15-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Pack less than you think you will need. You can always buy more underwear if it wears out. There are clothing stores on most large islands. I carried a blazer and tie for three years for fancy dinners - never used them. One pair of nice long pants is useful; one or two dresses as well. Hats, shorts, tees, polos, bathing suits, and sun covers will cover 99% of what you need.
Old 12-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I went for a full year with no long pants and no socks in the Caribe. You don't need much...but you do need good hats and cover from the sun.
Old 12-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Diploma on the making here....very very soon.....
Old 12-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You should be shopping for a shovel! It's already snowing here and is -12 C. The wind is only 10 knots, but is starting to pick up speed and is headed in your direction.
Old 12-15-2007

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Daddyhobbit,
A couple of swimsuits; a few t-shirts; sun-screen; water shoes "Crocs" or similar. I'd have a pair of shorts for outings ashore. I sewed the fly closed on a few pairs of boxer shorts, not to be socially inept for guests onboard. If you wear light weight synthetics, laundry is a quick lather, rinse & dry. I would suggest that the complete wardrobe for carribean cruising can be packed within half the space of a small backpack. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-16-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Now at Nanny Cay, Tortola BVI... the most useful info I have seen is to pack the very minimum you think you will need... then unpack and toss out at least half ... probably more.

Guys a couple of shorts and shirts, 2 swim suits... under-ware and socks if your weird...
Good wide brim hat and a ball cap... good sunglasses and boat shoes... maybe some surf shoes due to the coral.

Girls... Away from harbors... most use very little... in harbors or in most towns they need more coverup than would would normally think when your outside the "resort" area.

Most frown on too much skin on women and men with no shirts.

A few places require a guy to have a shirt with collar... no t-shirts and women in summer dresses.... but these are generally the nicer places... but in town no halters and away from the boat or beach no swim suites.

But if your going to spend a lot of time away from the crowds.. stay in the shade and go nude as many do... sun screen is advisable... if your on the boat.. don't forget a bit into you nose.. and the tops of your eyes... use sports lotions so your eyes don't burn out

Well time for another sundowner... later from the Crib...

svRealityCheck Nanny Cay Tortola
Old 12-17-2007

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Several years ago someone said to me "You don't dress like a live aboard" and I took that as a compliment! I always have at least one knit, black dress, which with a pair of sandals and a sarong around the shoulders makes you feel quite dressed up.Hike it up and you can climb in and out of the dink just fine. Long sleeve white shirts I think are a must to keep too much sun off. I agree with wide brim hats, lots of sunscreen (don't forget ears and tops of feet). My husband keeps a pair of kaki pants on the boat. The new stain, wrinkle resistant ones are great. Quick drying is a must. All cotton t shirts take a long time to dry so look at sportswear for quick drying alternatives. I love my Keen shoes-they can get wet, and I hiked for two weeks in Galapagos in them. You might be doing a lot of walking so it's nice to have some decent support for your feet.