Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
I have a dream

My dream is to one day live aboard my boat and travel the world, working my way around. I currently live ashore and work for myself as a carpenter doing residential additions/remodels. I hope to take my skills on the road and use them to earn money for the kitty. What do you think are the chances and opportunities of finding carpentry work, either on boats or shoreside construction sites?

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
My dream is to one day live aboard my boat and travel the world, working my way around. I currently live ashore and work for myself as a carpenter doing residential additions/remodels. I hope to take my skills on the road and use them to earn money for the kitty. What do you think are the chances and opportunities of finding carpentry work, either on boats or shoreside construction sites?

Good dream, hope you make it...

However, learn how to work with brick and mortar, because outside the US and Canada, most countries's houses are made of brick and concrete. Specially in Europe..

Wood skills in many European countries will lead to starvation.

Welding/brick/concrete/plaster, OK...
Old 12-15-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
My dream too! (heating, air, refridge) But, you have to realize most marinas have a monopoly doing work on others people's boats. They won't take kindly to freelancers Is my guess. It may be an awful lean way to get by, unless you have some real good self markerting skills. Not to mention the morning you go down to get your $ and the boat you just worked on shipped out destination uknown!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Masonry skills are also in my arsenal. I used to do a fair amount of wall building and chimney rebuilding, I just didn't think of it as a sailing job opportunity. That would be great, all those tools fit in a little bucket!

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 12-15-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Sounds good, but most live aboards tend to be on a tight budget, so they would probably rather have you do the work for free or in exchange for something (not money). If your kitty depends on you working as you go along - you may not get very far, 'cause there's also a lot of others out there with the same dream (I'll include myself here).
Good luck anyway.
Old 12-15-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Difference between a dream and a plan is if you start taking action on it.
Old 12-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
FWIW...most countries have laws limiting the work foreigners can do and carpentry is not one of the big skills cruisers need so it is tough to do more than supplement your budget with an occasional "below the radar" job. Skills like diesel mechanic, electrician, rigger and refrigeration tech are more in demand among the cruising community and in boatyards that might hire along the way but even for them it is very tough to make "a living" in a foreign country.

A job as ship's carpenter on an old wooden schooner might be a more logical way to see the world under sail.
Old 12-16-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
bearing in mind that some folks do what you are planning on very limited money, and construction pays well. You might be better off earning that kitty at home and spending time abroad until it's time to make more money.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
Old 12-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think you're better off making money here...and then saving up to cruise, rather than trying to work your way around the world. As previously pointed out, at least among cruisers, barter is often preferred to paying cash... and most countries do frown on people working without the proper papers.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-16-2007
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
My dream is to one day live aboard my boat and travel the world, working my way around.
One day I plan to do the same. What I have found. Around the States a person can find a little work here and there. When I help my brother do work on his boat. I live on board and find a few places within walking distance to eat and have a few beers. People always seem to be happy around the ocean and it easy to become friends with people. In conversation people usually ask; "What do you do"? I am a person who has the mentality; if, I can not fix it, I do not buy it. So, I can do a lot of things. I tell these people the area of my expertise as a Jack-of-all-Trades. I have done work for these people (Not because I needed the money at the time, but, as a friend). I save them money and I make a few bucks too. I not sure how this would work in the International scene, but, I feel, there be some times I may make a few Bucks. I look at the fact, I am not limited to only Boats in a marina. Also, I can deal with a Barter System as most the money I will need would be used for what people will give in trade anyway. I can not make a promise, but, this a short on what I know.