Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008
Wharf Rat

bob chaisson is an unknown quantity at this point
The cushions in my boat appeared hardly used. I trimmed and added 3" of memory foam (the power knife is absolutely the way to go). That wasn't enough. I picked up another 3" pad and put a bedspread between them to prevent bunching and allow them to breath. Still not quite right. Added a old blanket underneath with one of those emergency thermal foils between the cushions and the blanket. Finally covered the whole thing with a fitted mattress pad. Perfect! The only problem is getting out of the darn thing,
1st. You don't want to.
2nd. You sink so far into it, you have to crawl on your belly to get out. Now I need grab rails on the overhead.
Back pain is gone. I think the pain was caused by two things, lack of comfort in the mattress and thermal draw through the hull, cause even with the mattress fixed, the pain didn't stop until I installed the thermal barrier.
Old 03-08-2008

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
froli system under, egg crate or mem foam on top is by far the best comfort and price. Plus the froli keeps the weird things from growing under.

All the best, but you do need some sleep.

dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hoffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
is anyone who has used the memory foam have a bad back? we have 2" memory foam and 2" eggcrate foam over the vberth cushions that are as hard as rock...
Yes I have a pretty bad back...two ruptured disks...We have 2" memory foam over our posturepedic bed at home and its really not enough...I didnt want to spring for the 6" but we eventually will when the bed wears out..I"m sure 4" would be better then two but I will go for 6 as I dont want to have to buy it twice...when we were shopping for beds 10 years ago 6" was very expensive for even a queen..

But our hips and shoulders also feel better with the 2" we added last year...wish we had more..

IMHO...Go for 6" if you can afford it...
Old 03-15-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've missed this thread completely , had I seen it I wouldn't have bothered starting another. Tch tch.

However, Yofy's point about remaking the v-berth mattress from two pieces without that silly filler bit is on the money. I did this with PB and it worked a treat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-23-2008

MattGardner is on a distinguished road
I finally went and bought a 4" foam pad for my v-berth at Walmart. It is a combination of 2 1/2" regular foam + 1 1/2" memory foam. I used a freshly sharpened regular kitchen knife to trim/saw it to size (worked great) using the original berth cushions as pattern and then folded and pinned the mattress cover underneath (rather than cutting and resewing it). Holy Smokes what an amazing sleep difference. It is firm but with a bit of give, no more bunching up problems like I had with thin egg crate foam mattress pads.
I left it as one piece to avoid eventually sinking through the middle seam, so getting at the compartments underneath is not as easy, but it is still possible (I only store seasonal clothes in there anyhow so not much call for getting in them regularly)...and the sheets stay basically in place while lifting the whole thing at once.

Sleeping GOOD.
Old 03-23-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGardner View Post
ahhh...and as an aside.
TIP: I heat up an 8" cast iron skillet on my stove, and rub it around under the blankets before jumping into bed...a cheap alternative to an electric blanket for warming up the bed during these cold winter nights.

Cheers.
Something that works much better than an electric blanket, is an electric mattress pad. They heat from the bottom up, and depending on the size have heat controls for each person just like blankets. It could be used on the hook just to get the bed warm, then turn it off before you get in to save on electricity. We have one at home, and I wouldn't want to do without one if I could help it.
Old 03-23-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
We rebuilt our vee-berth with 4 inches of marine closed cell foam (like they put in cockpit cushions), then two inches of egg crate foam, with the egg crate upside down. Feels like an expensive store-bought mattress.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 03-26-2008

IslandRaider is on a distinguished road
Just ordered the Froli spring system an going to add 2" egg crate to the 4" matteress, hope it results in better sleep and a dryer matteress

Last edited by IslandRaider; 03-26-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.