Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
houston liveaboard

Ok I posted on here a few month ago trying to figure out where to live, at that time I had a girlfriend that was an finishing school to be an R.N. and I am an industrial mechanic/electrician and the consensus seemed to be that the best place to live aboard and work for us was on the Chesapeake bay well now I am single. I guess I loved my boat more than her go figure. Houston has a ton of jobs in my field (live in saint Louis MO now yuck) I have looked at a lot of the marinas and called a few and there seems to be a lot that allow live boards but most have a min 30’ well as a single guy on a budget a production 28’ Catalina or hunter would be just fine for sailing and living for me so I guess the question is do most of these places really care if the boat is a 28’ or a 30’ or do they just want the money for the thirty foot slip? Also to foot of bow sprit would not be too hard to cobble on or maybe a davits do these count? I know the best way to find out is just call the marina but I have found the sometimes it is easer to ask forgiveness than permission.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2008
I can't reMember

Slipkiller2 is on a distinguished road
I live near Houston but am in St Louis tonight. Brrrr it’s too cold for me. Low 9 tonight. I’m heading back to warmer weather tomorrow and go sailing this weekend.

Most marinas are going to charge by the length of the slip and not the boat. Lots of marinas in the Clear Lake area. You can find some at http://marinas.com/browse/marina/US/TX/ Current costs run about $7-9 per foot.

If you’re looking to move to the area, check out http://www.boatingguidetoamerica.com...erica:State_TX

Come on down the weather is great.
Old 01-24-2008

slipkiller2
thanks I know this is a little cold for me if I had half a brain I never would have left I moved here from galveston island 2 years ago.
Old 01-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The 30' is the minimum length they will let you pay for. You can put yer dinghy in the slip as long as you pay for a 30 footer! It ain't the Chessie...but hey...if you can live aboard and find work and sail whenever you want...go for it!!
Old 01-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Basically, they don't want you paying less than a 30' boat price... but as Cam said...they'll let you keep a dinghy in the slip if you've paid for the slip... as long as the dinghy is less than 30' long.

A lot of marinas have a minimum length requirement for payment, but not for the actual boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2008

captaincrump is on a distinguished road
There are lots of marinas around Clear Lake, some depressing, some near elegant. For living aboard, take a look at Legend Point, a social place for liveaboards (they call themselves "the homeless"), many of them working professionals. They enjoy landscaped grounds and a happy hour gazebo and amenities used at will. Nice place, on the south shore convenient to sailing on the Bay.
Old 01-25-2008

cool, thanks guys that is nice to know. I dont know what the deal is but there seems in many cases to be an unjustifiable jump in price from a 28' to a 30' boat. have any of you sailed or been around the seidelman 229 I know that they are not the highest quality boats but they seem to sell chaep and look very roomy for there size also look to be a decent performer. so I guess the question is how poor is the quality of construction compaired to like a catilina or hunter?