Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008

Dunlookn has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Go to the BX/PC. Buy a copy of the Military RV and Camping Guide (from Military Living.com).

The guide also lists the marinas owned and operated by all the uniformed services. Find out if there is a military marina near where you want to go...and how much it costs. They can provide you intel on the area(s) you are considering.

Obviously, if you live in a military marina you will have access to all the money-saving benefits of a military base (commissary, BX/PX, laundry, movie theatre, ect.)

Good luck living the dream.

Steve
US Army, Retired
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
not Seattle

I would stay away from Seattle. Iíve lived there off and on for the last 36 years. Finding a moorage would be extremely difficult. It is an expensive place to live. The weather is lousy; we donít have the harsh bitter cold winters nor do we have the blistering hot summers. We do have grey skies and rain.

Iím here but I am not really a big fan of the place.
Old 02-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Do you mean Atlantic BEACH NC? If so...that is a great place due to the proximity of the Pamlico sound which provides great sailing as well as proximity to Beaufort and the Inlet for occasional coastal trips along the NC/SC shore where there are lots of good places to visit.
Prices are low in NC and winters are mild...all a plus for living aboard.
Try here: http://www.anchoragemarina.net/default.htm
Good luck to ya.
Old 02-06-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Put in for Depot Bay Oregon. It is on the shortest river in N.A. But it is a sharp "S" turn to get out of the bay.
Then you have Newport Or. also. A nice town to live and a couple of good marinas.
Old 02-06-2008
I can't reMember

Slipkiller2 is on a distinguished road
I suggest that you check out the Galveston area. Sailing on Galveston Bay is good and the Gulf is not that far away. There are many marinas with about 7,000 slips in the Galveston Bay area. Here's a list of several marinas:

Kemah Boardwalk Marina
Legend Point Marina
Marina Del Sol
Portofino Harbour
South Shore Harbour Marina
Waterford Harbor Yacht Club
Bal Harbor Marina
Bolivar Yacht Basin
El Lago Marina
Galveston Yacht Club & Marina
Galveston Yacht Service
Payco Marine Inc
San Leon Marina
Seabrook Shipyard
South Texas Yacht Services
Watergate Yachting Center
Houston Yacht Club
Lakewood Yacht Club

Other information about Clear Lake (Galveston Bay) and Galveston.

Besides the 2 main yacht clubs (Houston and Lakewood) there are several sailing groups in the area. A few are listed below:

Texas Mariners Cruising Association
Galveston Bay Cruising Association
Texas Association of Single Sailors
CLEAR LAKE SAILING CLUB

All of these groups offer many racing series all year round.

One of the premier racing events is the annual Harvest Moon Regatta which is one of the largest offshore races in the US. It goes from Galveston to Port Aransas (Corpus Christi) and covers about 150 nm. This year over 260 boats participated. IOR boat compete but the majority are racer/cruisers. I did the race for the first time this year and it was great. Bacardi sponsors a after race party and the rum is free and flows!

Weather is not bad either. It's a little chilly today with a high of only 56 today. January is the coolest month with the average night time temp about 50 and August is the warmest with about 90.

If you want any othet info, let me know.
Old 02-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
c2c Tim..

I would seriously think about selling your boat and buying one wherever you relocate, unless you are inseparable from it for some reason. A lot of slips are transferable which solves some of your dilemma and you wont be burdened with the logistics in your short time frame.
This is not a good time to sell but it is a good time to buy.

Just a thought.. Good Luck in your decision.
Old 02-06-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I would second Stillraining motion. Decomissioning, loading, hauling, unloading, and commissioning a boat is expensive, time consuming and no fun. Easier to turn the boat into money, put the money in your wallet, and then turn the money into a new boat when you arrive at your new home.
Old 02-06-2008

captaincrump is on a distinguished road
Galveston is not really a sailboat-friendly town - a lot of industry and oil rig support activity. BUT, halfway up to Houston is the Clear Lake/Kemah area, the nation's third largest concentration of pleasure boats, dinghys to megayachts. For living aboard, check out Legend Point.
Good luck in your reassignment.
Old 02-06-2008
can't name here 31

cssdengr is on a distinguished road
If you go to Atlantic Beach NC you will be relatively close to MCAS Cherry Point and MCB Camp Lejeune. There are two marinas aboard each installation with great rates, plus the benefits of living on base. Cherry Point is on the Neuse River which offers great sailing and is relatively close to the ICW. Lejeuene is on the New River which is limited but there's a lively "yacht club" there.
Old 02-06-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
I would second Stillraining motion. Decomissioning, loading, hauling, unloading, and commissioning a boat is expensive, time consuming and no fun. Easier to turn the boat into money, put the money in your wallet, and then turn the money into a new boat when you arrive at your new home.
Not when you have the US taxpayer paying for every bit of it! I had my boat shipped by a contractor hired by the DOD, only problem was the boat was 4 months late and the pulpit was mangled. Shipper settled these issues without hesitation. not a bad deal.

Charleston, SC wasn't very live aboard friendly when I was there, can't imagine it is any better now.

Last edited by sailboy21; 02-06-2008 at 09:32 PM.