SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Coastie needs help finding new home!

6K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  peikenberry 
#1 · (Edited)
I am reaching out to the sailnet community for your assistance and support. I'm getting orders to move and my choices have to be in by Friday (7Feb). I'm looking for a mooring ball primarily, or a marina with reasonable rates. I have a Catalina 27 that I liveaboard, or upgrade to a 30-32 foot boat once I get settled in my new assignment. I'm nervous about moving the boat and need (experienced) opinions on the possible locations below. I don't think I could call every marina in these cities before the deadline. The choices are listed below. What city would you pick and why? Where would you moor your boat? I live in Boston so it would be cheaper to truck the boat on the east coast. I'd be inclined to sell her if I was moved to the west coast. I listed them in the order of priority where I might want to go, but I'm not sure and I haven't started calling marinas yet. I just got notice this morning.

Jacksonville, FL
Charlestown, SC
Atlantic City, NC
Belfast, ME<--- how cold is it really living aboard?
San Francisco, CA
Galveston, TX
Seattle, WA
Port Arthur, TX

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't been on the West Coast, nor in Maine, but my list would read Galveston, Charleston, Atlantic City as the first three, with Jax almost tied for 3rd.

#3 ·
I've spent a fair bit of time around the country, and would recommend them in this order:

First choices, primarily due to climate and cost of living.
Charlestown, SC
Atlantic City, NC

Second choice, but I like cold weather and New England, so this is a bit biased. :)
Belfast, ME<--- how cold is it really living aboard?

Third choices, primarily based on cost of living.
Port Arthur, TX
Galveston, TX

Fourth choices, due to the very high cost of living there
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA

Last choice, based on cost of insurance... trying to get any coverage in Florida at all is tough.
Jacksonville, FL

Unless, your choice is going to be based on the marina availability. Texas is probably up with the Carolinas in terms of slip availability. San Francisco, Seattle and Jacksonville are probably pretty tough in terms of slip availability for a liveaboard.

#6 ·
Welcome to Sailnet Dawnbreaker. :) I used to live in your neck of the woods... a while back. I'd recommend you read this post to help you get the most out of your time here on Sailnet.

#8 ·
The only downside to Charleston is the relative proximity to both Cam and Sailhog. :)

#9 · (Edited)
I am in SF and could give you the names of marinas where you could possibly get a slip, no moorings here. They run from 7-12 dollars a foot. Alameda is probably the best spot, you would be close to Coast Guard Island and its a short, but sometimes difficult, commute to Yerba Buena island. If you were stationed By the Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito has the most expensive marinas. Forget about SF itself.

As far as live aboard status goes, they will all tell you that you can't. But they really don't mind, its just a liability thing, so i wouldn't even tell them. Most people just sneak aboard for a few months and feel it out. If they don't say anything and you are a good quiet, helpful, neighbor. You will be fine.

For this area, I would recommend Alameda Marinas, not too expensive, the most slips available, and centrally located. Calm Waters too. They tend to be the most liberal with live aboards too.

That being said, Alameda is a slow town and i recently met a 32 year old female coastie that is regretting her move here from SoCal (but there may be other factors involved). There is not much activity here unless you want to go into the City. Also, like mentioned, the cost of living is high, and the drivers suck. How is that for an endorsement! But there is year round sailing.;)
edit - if you are in the rescue part of the job, those guys rock out here! If that is you on craigslist, thats a good place to start.
Best of luck.

Berkeley would be okay for starters
Here:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/560539483.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/564450417.html

#11 ·
Go to the BX/PC. Buy a copy of the Military RV and Camping Guide (from Military Living.com).

The guide also lists the marinas owned and operated by all the uniformed services. Find out if there is a military marina near where you want to go...and how much it costs. They can provide you intel on the area(s) you are considering.

Obviously, if you live in a military marina you will have access to all the money-saving benefits of a military base (commissary, BX/PX, laundry, movie theatre, ect.)

Good luck living the dream.

Steve
US Army, Retired

#12 ·
not Seattle

I would stay away from Seattle. I've lived there off and on for the last 36 years. Finding a moorage would be extremely difficult. It is an expensive place to live. The weather is lousy; we don't have the harsh bitter cold winters nor do we have the blistering hot summers. We do have grey skies and rain.

I'm here but I am not really a big fan of the place.

#13 ·
Do you mean Atlantic BEACH NC? If so...that is a great place due to the proximity of the Pamlico sound which provides great sailing as well as proximity to Beaufort and the Inlet for occasional coastal trips along the NC/SC shore where there are lots of good places to visit.
Prices are low in NC and winters are mild...all a plus for living aboard.
Try here: http://www.anchoragemarina.net/default.htm
Good luck to ya.

#14 ·
Put in for Depot Bay Oregon. It is on the shortest river in N.A. But it is a sharp "S" turn to get out of the bay.
Then you have Newport Or. also. A nice town to live and a couple of good marinas.

#15 ·
I suggest that you check out the Galveston area. Sailing on Galveston Bay is good and the Gulf is not that far away. There are many marinas with about 7,000 slips in the Galveston Bay area. Here's a list of several marinas:

Kemah Boardwalk Marina
Legend Point Marina
Marina Del Sol
Portofino Harbour
South Shore Harbour Marina
Waterford Harbor Yacht Club
Bal Harbor Marina
Bolivar Yacht Basin
El Lago Marina
Galveston Yacht Club & Marina
Galveston Yacht Service
Payco Marine Inc
San Leon Marina
Seabrook Shipyard
South Texas Yacht Services
Watergate Yachting Center
Houston Yacht Club
Lakewood Yacht Club

Other information about Clear Lake (Galveston Bay) and Galveston.

Besides the 2 main yacht clubs (Houston and Lakewood) there are several sailing groups in the area. A few are listed below:

Texas Mariners Cruising Association
Galveston Bay Cruising Association
Texas Association of Single Sailors
CLEAR LAKE SAILING CLUB

All of these groups offer many racing series all year round.

One of the premier racing events is the annual Harvest Moon Regatta which is one of the largest offshore races in the US. It goes from Galveston to Port Aransas (Corpus Christi) and covers about 150 nm. This year over 260 boats participated. IOR boat compete but the majority are racer/cruisers. I did the race for the first time this year and it was great. Bacardi sponsors a after race party and the rum is free and flows!

Weather is not bad either. It's a little chilly today with a high of only 56 today. January is the coolest month with the average night time temp about 50 and August is the warmest with about 90.

If you want any othet info, let me know.

#16 ·
c2c Tim..

I would seriously think about selling your boat and buying one wherever you relocate, unless you are inseparable from it for some reason. A lot of slips are transferable which solves some of your dilemma and you wont be burdened with the logistics in your short time frame.
This is not a good time to sell but it is a good time to buy.

Just a thought.. Good Luck in your decision.

#17 ·
I would second Stillraining motion. Decomissioning, loading, hauling, unloading, and commissioning a boat is expensive, time consuming and no fun. Easier to turn the boat into money, put the money in your wallet, and then turn the money into a new boat when you arrive at your new home.

#20 · (Edited)
Not when you have the US taxpayer paying for every bit of it! I had my boat shipped by a contractor hired by the DOD, only problem was the boat was 4 months late and the pulpit was mangled. Shipper settled these issues without hesitation. not a bad deal.

Charleston, SC wasn't very live aboard friendly when I was there, can't imagine it is any better now.

#18 ·
Galveston is not really a sailboat-friendly town - a lot of industry and oil rig support activity. BUT, halfway up to Houston is the Clear Lake/Kemah area, the nation's third largest concentration of pleasure boats, dinghys to megayachts. For living aboard, check out Legend Point.
Good luck in your reassignment.

#19 ·
If you go to Atlantic Beach NC you will be relatively close to MCAS Cherry Point and MCB Camp Lejeune. There are two marinas aboard each installation with great rates, plus the benefits of living on base. Cherry Point is on the Neuse River which offers great sailing and is relatively close to the ICW. Lejeuene is on the New River which is limited but there's a lively "yacht club" there.

#21 ·
Charlietown, hands down...... the bay is great place to sail a Cat27. It is a tourist town and dock rates are high during the season, off season very affordable..... if you use a mooring ball, your only a ten minute dingy ride to the CG station. Also, folks really appreciate coasties in this town.... come on down....

#22 ·
Have you thought about St Augustine, FL? We looked there last year and it was very convenient. They don't have mooring balls, but you can anchor in the bay. The city marina offers use of their dinghy dock, laundry and showers for a small monthly fee. Just another option.

Good Luck!!!
I don't know how it is on the east coast, but finding live-aboard space is getting tougher on the west coast.

#23 · (Edited)
There are a bunch of 30' slips open in shilshole (Seattle) probably close to $10 a foot. Further north in Bellingham it's very easy to snag a sublease at squalicum for a 30' $185 and a very short walk to the costie station - Pretty mild weather as well. No problam being a liveaboard in squalicum as long as you keep your house-plants and such off the dock.

#26 ·
Not sure about liveaboard slip availablilty in Galveston, but you will be in a prime area to find a larger boat if you choose. There's some folks on a Yahoo group that have some good knowledge on Galveston, that should be replying to your friend's request there for info.

Best of luck on your move.

#29 ·
Thanks everyone....I've been assigned- to Galveston

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I'm going to post a new thread regarding where the best place to keep a boat is....Kemah, Texas City, or Galveston??? Cost vs sheltered from hurricanes vs amenities?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.