Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008
c2csailor

c2cSailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c2cSailor Send a message via Skype™ to c2cSailor
Unhappy Coastie needs help finding new home!

I am reaching out to the sailnet community for your assistance and support. I'm getting orders to move and my choices have to be in by Friday (7Feb). I'm looking for a mooring ball primarily, or a marina with reasonable rates. I have a Catalina 27 that I liveaboard, or upgrade to a 30-32 foot boat once I get settled in my new assignment. I'm nervous about moving the boat and need (experienced) opinions on the possible locations below. I don't think I could call every marina in these cities before the deadline. The choices are listed below. What city would you pick and why? Where would you moor your boat? I live in Boston so it would be cheaper to truck the boat on the east coast. I'd be inclined to sell her if I was moved to the west coast. I listed them in the order of priority where I might want to go, but I'm not sure and I haven't started calling marinas yet. I just got notice this morning.

Jacksonville, FL
Charlestown, SC
Atlantic City, NC
Belfast, ME<--- how cold is it really living aboard?
San Francisco, CA
Galveston, TX
Seattle, WA
Port Arthur, TX

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by c2cSailor; 02-06-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I haven't been on the West Coast, nor in Maine, but my list would read Galveston, Charleston, Atlantic City as the first three, with Jax almost tied for 3rd.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've spent a fair bit of time around the country, and would recommend them in this order:

First choices, primarily due to climate and cost of living.
Charlestown, SC
Atlantic City, NC

Second choice, but I like cold weather and New England, so this is a bit biased.
Belfast, ME<--- how cold is it really living aboard?

Third choices, primarily based on cost of living.
Port Arthur, TX
Galveston, TX

Fourth choices, due to the very high cost of living there
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA

Last choice, based on cost of insurance... trying to get any coverage in Florida at all is tough.
Jacksonville, FL

Unless, your choice is going to be based on the marina availability. Texas is probably up with the Carolinas in terms of slip availability. San Francisco, Seattle and Jacksonville are probably pretty tough in terms of slip availability for a liveaboard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
If you could get the Bellingham WA station, you could walk from your boat in Squalicum Harbor to the station house.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 02-06-2008

Dawnbreaker is on a distinguished road
Definitely Charleston #1; good marinas, not too expensive, good climate, good people.

Atlantic City, NC #2, many of the same reasons.
Jacksonville, #3.

You definitely don't want to be on the gulf coast in hurricane season.
Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to Sailnet Dawnbreaker. I used to live in your neck of the woods... a while back. I'd recommend you read this post to help you get the most out of your time here on Sailnet.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-06-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Charleston has a huge sailing community and several great marinas. Year-round sailing, ICW is right there. Beautiful city...
Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

The only downside to Charleston is the relative proximity to both Cam and Sailhog.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-06-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I am in SF and could give you the names of marinas where you could possibly get a slip, no moorings here. They run from 7-12 dollars a foot. Alameda is probably the best spot, you would be close to Coast Guard Island and its a short, but sometimes difficult, commute to Yerba Buena island. If you were stationed By the Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito has the most expensive marinas. Forget about SF itself.

As far as live aboard status goes, they will all tell you that you can't. But they really don't mind, its just a liability thing, so i wouldn't even tell them. Most people just sneak aboard for a few months and feel it out. If they don't say anything and you are a good quiet, helpful, neighbor. You will be fine.

For this area, I would recommend Alameda Marinas, not too expensive, the most slips available, and centrally located. Calm Waters too. They tend to be the most liberal with live aboards too.

That being said, Alameda is a slow town and i recently met a 32 year old female coastie that is regretting her move here from SoCal (but there may be other factors involved). There is not much activity here unless you want to go into the City. Also, like mentioned, the cost of living is high, and the drivers suck. How is that for an endorsement! But there is year round sailing.
edit - if you are in the rescue part of the job, those guys rock out here! If that is you on craigslist, thats a good place to start.
Best of luck.

Berkeley would be okay for starters
Here:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/560539483.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/564450417.html

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 02-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2008

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
Charleston definately. Its a lovely town, and very historic. The people are the true definition of southern hospitality, and are very friendly to sailors. You would throughly enjoy it.

-Spencer