Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Actually, Gateway Marina in Brooklyn might work. The downside is that it is just west of JFK, so the only practical way to Garden City is by car. 25 minutes door to door--except the two highways you'll have to use both bog down regularly with any excuse. And as a NYC resident, you may be liable to NYC income taxes, which are much higher than Nassau or Suffolk county.

Northport and Port Jeff could be hour-long commutes, ugh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2008

ssmith8523 is on a distinguished road
Nick - what happened to FL and the deck repair?

I was just reading some old postings and you were supposed to move to FL, not NYC! Ask your employer to move you to Annapolis, lots of marinas and anchoring space here. Did you ever fix your delam'ed deck? I have a Cal 34 and I had a spot 2'x4' under the house winch that was saturated. Took a circular saw and cut it out from below, glassed in a new pice of plywood - good as new.
Old 03-01-2008

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Update

SSmith...

The delamination was not as serious as the boatyard thought it was. they drilled a few holes and filled it, no real problems.
As far as Florida goes, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer since that last post and I passed up on the job offer. I stayed in Chicago and took care of him until his last day four months ago. Now, another oppertunity has presented itself in New York. I've never lived there so I figured living aboard may be the way to go. After doing some research, I've found some fairly affordable houses/apartments with available docks. Maybe I should go that route just in case winter and summer heat really sucks as bad as everyone says. I'll be flying out to do some house hunting in a few weeks and I'll keep you guys posted. I appreciate all the good advice from all.

-Nick
Old 03-01-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"I've found some fairly affordable houses/apartments with available docks. "
IN NEW YORK?!

Either your definition of affordable is somewhat higher than mine, or you are seeing ads for illegal basements apartments in flood zones on the "canals" on the south shore of Long Island. I'd be curious to know what you've found (I'm not in that market) but caveat emptor, bigtime. And check out the nautical charts of the area, while you're at it.
Old 03-02-2008

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
affordable apartments

I was looking on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and found some houses for rent in Oyster Bay and the surrounding area. I'm looking to pay between $2000 and $3000 (gas and electric included) per month. Ok, its expensive, but lets take this into prespective...it comes WITH the dock, and I'm planning on having a roommate or two to share expenses with... 3 and 4 bedroom houses available, roomies split the rent, I get the dock and a bedroom. I think it would work well once I figure it all out.

-Nick
Old 03-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Make sure at least one roommate likes to sail, and you'll have an easy time finding crew too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culinary411 View Post
I was looking on craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums and found some houses for rent in Oyster Bay and the surrounding area. I'm looking to pay between $2000 and $3000 (gas and electric included) per month. Ok, its expensive, but lets take this into prespective...it comes WITH the dock, and I'm planning on having a roommate or two to share expenses with... 3 and 4 bedroom houses available, roomies split the rent, I get the dock and a bedroom. I think it would work well once I figure it all out.

-Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-05-2008

ssmith8523 is on a distinguished road
Nick...

Sorry about losing your Dad. You have my sympathies.
Old 03-05-2008

Three grand near Oyster Bay...and with a dock?! I'd have expected higher. The municipal moorings are reasonable for town residents though, even if you can't get dockage. (If there's no monster waiting list, dunno.)
Old 03-07-2008

tristanhayes is on a distinguished road
I can't believe that there are spots available in the NYC area. IN D.C. its impossible.