Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008

wannabe4 is on a distinguished road
Wauquiez Pretorian 35

I am soon to be buying a liveaboard, blue water cruiser and want to make the right decision first. I intend on living aboard for many years and sailing to the south pacific etc.. One of the boats on my list is the pretorian 35. I have read very favourable reviews online and am looking for owners opinions on everything from seaworthiness to standing room. As a guy who is 6'4" thats a consideration for me. Does anyone know the V-berth length, aft cabin, standing room? Thanks in advance for your replies!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Ancient mariner Hal Roth and his wife live on one and may have done a circ on it. He's complimentary (who isn't about their boat?) but in his case, I'd take his comments as good advice.

Here's some perhaps helpful links:

http://www.irbs.com/lists/live-aboard/9707/0323.html

http://www.ssca.org/DiscBoard/viewto...66dad22dbbde1d

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Roth,%20Hal

Basically, if you buy his book "How to Sail Around the World", which I recommend, you'll learn a fair bit about his boat, as well as what the title says.
Old 02-23-2008

Wauquiez 35

Thanks Valiente, great help!
Old 03-05-2008

Andy125 is on a distinguished road
Check out the Wauquiez Hood 38. Tons of headroom throughout, huge vee berth and settees, large aft cabin in the Mark I model. Awesome boat, sails very fast for a "cruiser" and points high. PHRF 150 Chesapeake. I liveaboard right now with my girlfriend and we are both 6'2" and space is not a problem. Comfortable, safe, seaworthy and a great sailboat.
Old 03-07-2008

Great info-thanks. Last weekend I stepped aboard 3 Wauq 35's in Seattle. Nice boats but a wee to small for a guy 6'4". I'll check out the Hood 38 when an opportunity arises. Fast Passage 39 anyone?
Old 03-11-2008

If anyone has anymore comments on the Hood 38 they would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 03-12-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe4 View Post
If anyone has anymore comments on the Hood 38 they would be appreciated. thanks!
I own a Pretorien but have been on several Hood 38s, in fact I almost bought one. I'm 6 feet tall and the headroom in the Pretorien is just barely adequate for me, it definitely isn't going to work if you're 6'4". For me, it's definitely worth the trade off of less headroom for lower cabin top, the deck is so much easier to get around on. The Hood has significantly more headroom (still has that low, sleek cabintop though) and one of the largest vee berths I've seen. Both boats have great cockpits, the coamings are high and are angled perfectly for sitting with your back to them.

What I didn't like about the Hood is I really don't care for either of the layouts. The MK I has the companionway hatch on the deck, not in the cockpit which was a deal killer for the wife. The MK II layout is a little claustrophobic, the aft cabin comes a little too far forward. Other than that, great boat.

John Drake doesn't post on this board much any longer, he's living on a Hood 38 MK II in the Keys and can go into great detail about the boat. Heck, just google "John Drake Hood 38" and you'll see any number of posts from him on various internet boards.
Old 03-12-2008

thanks garymcg!