Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008

daveyjustin is on a distinguished road
Cool Alberg 30 liveaboard

Hi there

I'm considering an Alberg 30 to liveaboard. They have a great reputation, but I'm worried about the accommodations. Does anyone have any advice about living on an Alberg 30?

Can you install hot/cold water shower?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Davey-

There is a blog about a boat named Strathgowan that is a liveaboard Alberg 30, and a couple and their toddler is living aboard one. The URL is We Live On A Boat , IIRC.

Installing a shower on an Alberg is a bit difficult, since there really isn't an appropriate space for it in the cabin. You could install one in the cockpit..but that isn't what you're probably looking for. If you were living aboard a boat, most likely, you'd have use of the marina's shower facilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2008

daveyjustin is on a distinguished road
thanks

I know this blog. Thanks for reminding me about it. They live in my neck of the woods. I thought they lived on a houseboat too.

Yeah the Marina... that's true. I guess a shower is one more mechanical nuisance anyway.
Old 03-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No, I think they'd shoot themselves before living on a houseboat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-03-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Small boats are great liveaboards, since they don't permit gathering too much stuff... however it doesn't look good on you when there are flower planters on deck, a couple old bicycles, and all the other crap permanently docked live-aboard types get.. most marinas don't appreciate that either. If your personal habits will result in a boat that isn't sail-able don't do it. Now if you can live on it and still take it sailing every weekend more power to you! I did over a year on my Rawson 30 with my wife and cat, and 6 months on on O'Day 25 by myself
Old 03-05-2008

Andy125 is on a distinguished road
I'd upgrade a bit to an Alberg 35. A friend of mine has lived on one on the hook for over 3 years. It's comfortable enough to have guests over for a few beers, has a proper head and shower, is small enough to be inexpensive and not accumulate clutter...and they're beautiful.
Old 03-06-2008

Oldsalt_1942 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No, I think they'd shoot themselves before living on a houseboat...
I've lived aboard boats for a great deal of my adult life as a captain of yachts and small commecrial craft. And living on a houseboat isn't like being trailer trash or banished to some outer ring in nautical hell.

I've never been into the sail/power debate. They each have a lot to offer, especially if you're getting paid to play on them. Let me tell you, living on a 65' Hatteras for three years wasn't shabby.

I was skipper of an 85' ketch on the French Riviera and the Costa del Sol for another three years and sailing across the Atlantic with wine served at the evening meal every night was pretty special as well.

I loved the three years and three trips on the ICW from Cape Cod to Ft. Lauderdale that I had on a 47' Grebe. She creaked and moaned in a pleasant manner when underway at cruising speed of 10 mph.

I lived for 6 years on a 26' sailboat and enjoyed every minute of it.

But I also cherish the fond memories I had of the two years I lived on my shanty boat on Bayou Bienvenue just outside of New Orleans back in the early 80s. It (it didn't qualify to be a "she") was essentially a shack on a pair of 36' pontoons made out of well casing and it cost me all of $1,500.00. Not one day of being mate on a 176' Feadship in Nassau, Bahamas, which were fantastic, was better than a day I spent in my shack on the Bayou.

Juet remember, the view of Paradise is exactly the same whether your on a 26' sailboat or a 176' goldplater.
Old 03-07-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
The cabin on an Alberg 30 would do for a single person to live aboard, but much more than that would feel cramped, at least by my standards. Albergs typically aren't very beamy boats and I don't believe the 30 (or Triton) have an aft cabin for storage/extra sleeping capacity.

If it's just you...go for it! If you've got others who will live with you, I'd look for something else.

Old 03-07-2008

tristanhayes is on a distinguished road
I agree with sailboy

If you cannot depart in 15 minutes, then why live on a boat. Instead, you are simply living in a cheap shack.
Old 03-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The couple on the Alberg 30 in Port Credit referred to above *did* move to a houseboat after the arrival of a second baby. But I believe they've kept the Alberg 30 for sailing.