Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A cruising guide of where you'll be travelling will often list marinas and whether they offer transient moorings. So will many charts, like the Maptech waterproof chartbooks, which have a summary of marine services in the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I tried to live on Mooring in a Bay in NJ one summer and got beat up.
Hmm - can't imagine there was a whole heck of a lot of competition for a rubber ball floating in the harbour.... Who attacked you ??? Seagulls ??? Codfish ??

Quote:
Has anyone else parked on a mooring and had good luck living for a summer season.
Uhmm ... lemme think ... nope ! I think there are some folks who have tied their boats to moorings and tried to live on the boats, but as far as the mooring itself goes ... are you sure it's legal ??? How do you do your "Number 2" ?????

Quote:
I found the wind and weather just took its toll on my body and boat.
Yup - that happens. Not a lot you can do about it... Maybe if you got on the boat and found somewhere sheltered to come alongside rather than floating around in the middle of the shipping lanes.... (just a thought )
Quote:
Maybe I need to eat more spinach!
Sure - whatever, eat something Maybe you can drink a liittle more too...

Good Luck !
Old 05-16-2008

djmarchand is on a distinguished road
Mooring life

Living on a mooring would be neat!!!
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Living on a boat, tied to the mooring, would probably be a lot more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Living on a mooring would be neat!!!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
Mooring seems to be different in different countries. In Norway, until quite recently, putting out a mooring was considered to be a civil right. A landowner owned the land out in the sea as far as "a horse can wade". Outside this limit anyone was free to put out a mooring provided the mooring was not in tracks of the shipping traffic, that was governed by the municipal harbour authorities.

Now, since the ownership of leisure boats have exploded, the putting out of moorings is regulated. The mooring I am tied to is owned by a slipway. This slipway have about 10 moorings in a bay close to the slipway. Originally I believe the moorings were used as a "waiting place" for boats that were going on or off the slipway. Now, due to lack off places to slip, the moorings are rented out as permanent slips. For some the whole year, for others in the summer season.

Whether one lives in the boat or not is of no concern of the owner of the moorings. This of course in turn represents some logistic challenges. I need to shore the dinghy, when I for some reason want to go ashore. I need fresh water, I need electrical power and I need to get rid of the wastes of all kinds.

Getting rid of the garbage is the biggest problem. I must more or less "sneak" my garbage into the containers owned by others. So I have learned to reduce my garbage to a minimum. My not so dear neighbouring seagulls, ducks, swans, fish etc. take care of the wastes from the cooking. When I buy anything in the local stores, all sorts of wrappings are left behind in the store.

The riddance of more personal wastes are solved when moving the ship on the way to the gas station for diesel or water as it is allowed to empty the holding tank at a distance of 300 meters from land. The yearly debate of whether this permission should be banned is one of the signs that the spring is coming. But science has proven that the wastes from boats represents less than 1/000 of the total wastes from the community.

Electrical power is only a financial problem. Gasoline is forbiddingly expensive. I spend around $1 a day on gasoline to produce my electrical power by a generator. The solar cells and the windmill do not produce enough to keep my PC, refrigerator, TV, water pumps etc. going. Besides, living in a mooring means that all kind of power tools must get their power from homemade electricity.

Owning a car is impossible, so I walk or row to any destination.

Old 05-19-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
tjaldur,

Mighty fine looking ship! My neighbours in Portland, Maine, USA. live on a similar boat, North Sea trawler, they call it. Built in Scotland, 1965.
They stay in a marina, mostly, but have traveled around Newfoundland and lived in Greenland, for a few years. You will never see them below Cape Cod, though. That is their southern range....
Sounds like you have the living on the mooring part figured out.... I am just getting ready.

Nice boat!
Old 06-07-2008

deryk is on a distinguished road
For the last 3 years I have lived aboard in a marina because Im still in the working world. Ive been invited to join another yacht club and they have moorings. Been told they have several people who liveaboard there and work still. Im debating on it but thoughts of wind turbines and a generator come to mind. Ive already considered satelite internet and want to equip the new boat for cruising but I need to generate enough energy for my 12 volt converted icebox. I can install a gimbled 2 burner stove with oven so cooking isnt an issue.

I think my biggest concern is the first day I wake up to pouring rain will I really want to row back to the dock to go to work lol.
Old 02-28-2009

Sailingdiver is on a distinguished road
Some people love/hate living on a mooring some love/hate the marina. Try both, see what you like.
Old 03-01-2009
Sailboat adick

BUSHORE is on a distinguished road
I'm curious...

What is the rate for a mooring to compare the rate for boat slip at MD?

Average for 41'

J.P.
Old 03-03-2009

southernwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to southernwind
I spent a summer on the hook in Barnegate Light and the only complaints are the speedy fishing boats that run through the anchorage, the other is when a really large vessel would head to the marina it would kick up a large wake that would wake you up and toss you around a bit when the wind was just the wrong direction. i have a wind generator and a solar pannel and just motor to the dock to fill the water and pump out at the same time. I would rather be on a ball or the hook. I don't like the claustrophobic feeling of some marinas or hearing my neighbors TV.

oh yea my cat might run away as well and my wife would kill me then so its a safety thing

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt