Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009

weedeater64 is on a distinguished road
Wondering

What's the typical difference in cost between mooring and low end slips along the east coast, chesapeake, gulf coast? Seriously thinking about this live aboard thing, small baot follow the weather main to gulf, work a bit here and there then move along. Sounds good. Can it be done?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
A mooring is always cheaper BUT not that cheep for short term stays ,up here it can be 2 bucks a foot per night

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2009

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdavis View Post
Southernwind,

Have you ever considered that your signature could be incredibly offensive to a great many Americans that have lost family members and loved ones to terrorism?
Is this typical of people on this forum?
Old 10-01-2009

I'm land locked now, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
A mooring is always cheaper BUT not that cheep for short term stays ,up here it can be 2 bucks a foot per night
been thinking about this for some time. Build or buy minimal, around 30' or less and cruise the circle following the weather. In laws in Norfolk, so Chesapeake in summer, gulf in the winter. I'm not financially independent so I'd have to work to keep it going. Maybe 4 months in the Chesapeake working and cruising and working further south in the winters. I like the Idea of living on a hook, but as I understand the state of affairs , we're limited as to how long we can anchor in the U.S. So is it doable?
Old 10-01-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
been thinking about this for some time. Build or buy minimal, around 30' or less and cruise the circle following the weather. In laws in Norfolk, so Chesapeake in summer, gulf in the winter. I'm not financially independent so I'd have to work to keep it going. Maybe 4 months in the Chesapeake working and cruising and working further south in the winters. I like the Idea of living on a hook, but as I understand the state of affairs , we're limited as to how long we can anchor in the U.S. So is it doable?
Median income for the world as a whole is between 850$us/year and 1700$us/year depending on who you get your numbers from. That means that half of the human beings on the earth, approximately 3 billion people, live on less than 5$us/day, and they manage to find water to drink, food to eat, clothing to wear, raise their children, and they live their lives just fine.

My point is, obviously, yes, it can be done, relatively easily in fact, but I doubt most Americans could do it.

Financial independence means having expenses that are lower than your return on investment, for an income of 1700$us/year (the high median for the world) at 3% interest that means you need approximately 57k$us, which happens to be approximately the median salary for someone in the United States for one year of work. Said another way - the amount of money the median person in America makes in a year or two would be enough to make the median person in the world financially independent for life.

Please support my
Old 10-01-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
The Dock is for the dreamers, the mooring balls are for the "vacationers" , the Hook is for the Sailors.
Water- Get a watermaker, or if confined to sailing in the US- I've never been denied water. Usually take it on when pumping out blackwater. (many pumpouts are free for the asking). If you need to "ferry" water to your anchorage or mooring you might consider getting a bladder tank and transfer pump. fill the bladder tank while it's in the dinghy then pump the water into the tanks on the mainship, no lugging cans.
Power- don't do it backwards. Figure out what your power requirements are , then size the appropriate solar/wind combination. Use the gas or diesel generator for eccessive power consumption situations,i.e. short term power tool use,vaccuuming,etc.
Landing dinghy- this varies depending on location and situation. If your living in one place and hold a day job you might need to make an arrangement w/ a marina or private dock for landing. However if your your driving to work, get a trailor for your dinghy and launch and retrieve it each day from a public launch.Leave the trailor on the tow vehicle as this will allow you to park the vehicle overnight in the launch lot, as it has a boat trailor attached it will not be questioned when parking overnight.
Personal hygene- If your staying aboard any length of time or permanently, consider a vessel with a shower or be prepared to shower in the cockpit in all weather conditions.
Heating/cooling- A/C hasn't been around long, people have.Acclimate yourself and you'll be happier over all.
Heat is easy to produce,I choose a wood stove for the easy and free wood aspect. but kero,diesel, alcohol,propane are other options.
Trash- find a trash can,they're all over the place,be discreet.

When I first started spending a considerable amount of time aboard these same issues presented themselves. With a little bit of ponderance, a bit of ingenuity, and much determination, I'm finding methods that work for my situation .If you decide to live aboard or be an extended cruiser , you too will develop your own ways to address your concerns.
Some (or many) of the ways of dealing w/ life aboard I've borrowed from other cruisers and adjusted them to my personal requirements.
I'm still learning new things daily ! I enjoy simplifying my life and becoming more autonimous continually.
Having a family and dogs abourd greatly increases the task load and difficulty. So , I find the better I can plan ahead and the further I can plan ahead, the more pleasant the experience becomes for everyone and minimizes the anxiety over provisioniong and making landfall in new or seldom visited locations.
One last thing, I extremely enjoy approaching other sailors/boaters that are anchored or moored. A great deal of information can be extracted about the present location and/or the next expected stop. Getting multiple responses and perspectives helps in determining what may work best for me. But just like the cruising guides and other information sources, the accuracy and reliability often varies depending on the source . power vessels and sailing craft have greatly different perspectives as do different types of crew aboard. So just like my opinion here, take it with a grain of salt.
The first time I traveled the Delaware Bay I met a gentleman who told me it could not be sailed and that if the conditions got poor there was no place to seek shelter. It worried me so much I stayed put for two more days concerned about the next leg of the journey. Fortunately I met other sailors who said just the opposite and offered their experiences and advice on where to duck in along the way. the weather did get nasty in the Delaware bay and I took shelter in Cohansey creek for 2-3 days. Then I Sailed on .
Old 10-14-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i reside on mooring in cali 24/7/365--when i am sail cruising i live on anchor--i prefer this way of living --is more peaceful and to me, safer than in marinas where anyone can come in and access my boat..i donot like that.....there are up to 30 kt winds in sandiego at times----and the fetch is 3-4 ft----so the storms and wind times are particular times to stay on voard in case of problems which can arise in such conditions...i enjoy the sail cruising life so being on a mooring is appropriate----make sure the lines are long weenough to not tug or jerk the boat --make sure it rides smoooth....prevent damage...

in gulf--anchor-i havent seen any mooring fields ...i saw one in ft myers, but is all.....gooodo luck

Last edited by zeehag; 10-14-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: boatkat isunt gud speeler and cannot typo
Old 10-23-2009

barrzell is on a distinguished road
My wife and I are in the process of selling everything, including the house and moving onto a 35 to 40 ft cat. My monthly income without working will be approx. $3300.00 The question is if the boat is completely paid for and we are planing on living on the hook, with a gen, solar panels and wind generator for power, is my monthly income enough to sail the caribbean. We also have medical insurance covered. We are a little frugal in lifestyle, but not completly.
Old 10-23-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
$3300 a month ! I would say it is more than enough.
Old 10-23-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
If you need to "ferry" water to your anchorage or mooring you might consider getting a bladder tank and transfer pump. fill the bladder tank while it's in the dinghy then pump the water into the tanks on the mainship, no lugging cans.
Good idea, I had not thought of this.

Having never used a bladder tank, how is it filled, by gravity like any other tank or would I also have to pump water into it ?

Thank you!

Please support my