Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Good idea, I had not thought of this.

Having never used a bladder tank, how is it filled, by gravity like any other tank or would I also have to pump water into it ?

Thank you!
Thinking more about this, I think what I would rather do is just use my regular water containers and have a water pump so I wouldn't have to lift them out of the dinghy. Anybody have a suggestion for a 12vdc water pump, is there a place around that sells that ? Maybe a small bilge pump is what I am looking for, something that wouldn't put oil into the water ...

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Thinking more about this, I think what I would rather do is just use my regular water containers and have a water pump so I wouldn't have to lift them out of the dinghy. Anybody have a suggestion for a 12vdc water pump, is there a place around that sells that ? Maybe a small bilge pump is what I am looking for, something that wouldn't put oil into the water ...
Do you have pressure water on your boat? Buy a spare of exactly that pump and use it to pump from jerry jugs or any container, and you'll also be able to swap out directly if your pressure pump fails.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing320 View Post
If I am traveling, what is the easiest way to find mooring locations?
The Updated Cruising Guide for the area your in.
Old 10-24-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Filling a bladder tank in the dinghy to transfer to your onboard tank is easy. You fillit the same way you fill the jerry cans (usually from a water spigot or hose). The advantage is, the bladder tank rolls up small when empty. And can carry quite alot of water when full. It also will/can lie in the bottom of the dinghy easier than the jerry can balancing act (sliding around etc.
Getting the same type of pump as you already have aboard is a good idea, however your pressure water system pump probably is prety costly and not durable enough to be kncked about in a dinghy and possibly inclimate weather conditions.
Harbor freight sells a 12 volt stainless pump body model for about $30 with standard hose fittings it can be attached easily to the bladder tank.
I guess if you didn't have a bladder tank you could still fill the jerry cans then pump into the main tank, untill you convinced yourself that this method is worthy . Then I would guess you would tire of lugging the cans and just get the bladder tank.
ALso to the sailor asking about mooring locations. why not just anchor ? it's free ! and you never have to wonder what your actually tied to when the weather kicks up, as you will have lowered the ground tackle yourself.
Steady Hand likes this.
Old 10-24-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
to the sailor asking about mooring locations. why not just anchor ? it's free ! and you never have to wonder what your actually tied to when the weather kicks up, as you will have lowered the ground tackle yourself.
as joe says---your tackle is better than a mooring unknown...there is always a place to anchor---there may not always be a place to moor----mooring requires using someone else's tackle--not your own--and there are steps to hassle as re: finding one without a long waiting list, much less one in the area you wish to use.....there may not be a field ion the area you seek a mooring in....etc.......in many places there is the ability to anchor near a mooring field--not in redhook, st thomas, usvi, however------but many other areas that is a possibility--and moorings cost money---anchoring, most places, does not.......

Last edited by zeehag; 10-24-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: boatkat isunt a gud speeler and fergits stuff......is killing burdeeez....
Old 10-25-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Getting the same type of pump as you already have aboard is a good idea, however your pressure water system pump probably is prety costly and not durable enough to be kncked about in a dinghy and possibly inclimate weather conditions.
A lot of people carry a spare pressure pump anyway, so using it for water transfer is a cost savings over an additional transfer pump.

I don't carry mine in the dinghy. Only when I get full water jugs back to the boat do I pull out the spare pressure pump (and incidentally General Ecology pre-filter) and transfer water.

I similarly use my X-Changer oil change pump to move fuel from diesel jugs to the boat tanks.

I have a very bad back and work hard to avoid putting any kind of strain on it. Using pumps I carry anyway to transfer liquids helps a lot.
Steady Hand likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-25-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
The Updated Cruising Guide for the area your in.
check out noonsite--they have almost everything needed for cruising

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.