Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I pay subject to whatever contract I've signed and thereby agreed to.
Monthly it is then....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Yeah, you know, I hear the arguments for and against but I reckon it's true to say that many people live aboard not because of the romance of it but because that's the way they get to fund their dream on a limited amount of income.

Not that I'm trying to cast aspersions on the OP but perhaps he lives on his boat because he has to. And when the rent is suddenly upped to quarterly or worse, perhaps he doesn't have the wherewithal to pay it.

So just because his costs are a fraction of those paid by the more affluent amongst us doesn't mean that it's fair to so radically move the goal-posts that he can't comply. It would, as Artbyjody says, be unheard of for this to happen in the real estate business and if it did there would be a raft of bunny-huggers standing by to take up the cudgels on behalf of the man.

But then again, maybe he is just whining, maybe he is just trying to place "internet" pressure on his landlords.

I know that if I didn't comply with the requirements of my marina owners, they would chuck me out in a heartbeat.

Andre
Old 03-27-2008

wfahey is on a distinguished road
I found this to be an educational thread. I thought our slip fees were high. But seeing what you folks are paying suddenly makes them quite reasonable. Plus we get to pay monthly and can charge items at the ship's store to our slip.
Old 03-27-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfahey View Post
I found this to be an educational thread. I thought our slip fees were high. But seeing what you folks are paying suddenly makes them quite reasonable. Plus we get to pay monthly and can charge items at the ship's store to our slip.
There is a thread dedicated to what you pay for your slip, and what comes with that (elec, water, pool, clubhouse, etc etc.). I forget where that thread is though. Like you say, I thought I had it bad until I saw some other peoples fees...wheeew$$$.
Old 03-27-2008
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I wonder how this entire thread would have evolved if there was no mention of the actual fees the OP is paying. Should that matter unless he was paying $10k/month or some other outrageous fee and the obvious answer would be to move?

Many good points have been raised. In making comparisons one should remember that this marina is providing a service, not a product. In comparing renting or leasing houses, cars... it is important to note that there will most likely be a security deposit, maybe even 1st and last months rent involved as with properties. Cars can be repo'd and leased ones usually require a down payment. In most cases the provider has cash in hand to help insure that should something happen they are not out too much. In the service type industries it is a bit different.

The additional info the OP provided was well covered by SD. Unforunately SD appears to be stuck on the $'s paid for rent and not what I percieve as the point of the original post which was more or less "My marina has changed policy and I don't think it is fair. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what recourse I may have?" It would appear that most agree the OP does not have many options. How it helps to tell someone who does not appear to be a spammer and has only posted a couple of times to STFU is beyond me. Still amazed the guy came back after the welcome he was given. How would each of you reacted with such a greeting when first posting here? Do you want this to be more like SA? I do not. I also know if I don't like it here I can leave, got it. Just used to be much more cordial. Cabin fever perhaps?
Old 03-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Any business has a right to sell on whatever terms it wants to. Any purchaser has a right to say "Fine" or "Goodbye". I'm sure the marina in this case will have no problem in filling any empty slips. It would have been nice to give more notice of the change in policy...but they havve no legal requirement to do so. Indeed...they could have said.."No more liveaboards" as many marinas have done.
Sashannel...my advice would be to pay you dock fees on whatever schedule is required and keep your head down as you have no case and squeaky wheels find themselves without a place to live aboard.
Old 03-27-2008

LakeEscape is on a distinguished road
Sliding scale

I love to read these threads in the morning. It's better than the local paper. We have a sliding scale at our marina. Pay by the month, quarter or annually. The annual payment will save you about 15% over the monthly and there is the peace of mind that comes with being at the top of the renewal list. In water slips are at a serious premium on Lake Norman, north of Charlotte, and that annual fee is great insurance. Besides, I have all year to stache away the fee.

As for our friend's problem, the sudden change sucks. It is thier marina and thier fine print. I'd go to the office, with hat in hand, and sit down and ask to go over said fine print on both the old and new contracts. See if there is not some wiggle room to tie me over for a few months. IMHO, for what it's worth.

Fair winds.
Old 03-27-2008
Wharf Rat

bob chaisson is an unknown quantity at this point
I could be wrong, but it seems to be a simple legal issue here. I don't care how much you pay, if the notice was short, if it's a bargain or how much anyone else pays. The bottom line is the contract. If they sent you a contract, you signed it and sent it back with a check and they cashed the check, it is an open and shut case. The contract is valid AND binding. The can sent anything they want after that and it is all toilet paper. They cannot change a contract they have entered into with you and must wait until the contract expires. BUT, placing a lit match in someone's shoe never wins any friends and if you go to the office waving your rights in their face, you may not like the look of the contract following this one. I would simply go to the office with the new notice (provided you haven't pee'd on it) and explain to them that the contract you had already entered into with them stated you could pay monthly. This new policy came with very short notice and has caught you short. Surely their must be a way we can transit from the existing contract to the new policy that's mutually beneficial. I really like it here and wish to continue to be a good customer.
Try that, you'll be surprised at how flexible people can be in a one on one situation. I personally pay $4400 in the spring and $1800 in the fall plus winter electric. Our marina was bought out three years ago as well. Policies changed and although billing broke summer fees into three winter payments and winter fees had to be paid up front, there were some long standing agreements with certain liveaboards and the management worked things out. Nobody usually wants to loose a customer and nobody usually wants to move. Don't take a form letter as a personal affront. They aren't personal, their form.
Good luck with diplomacy. Remember, if you shoot first and ask questions later, who you gonna ask?

Bob C s/v Valkyrie, Irwin Citation 35.5
Old 03-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
FarCry—

It might help if you actually read my entire last post. The OP doesn't say whether he has a written contract or not. He doesn't mention whether he's ever been late on a payment or not....and if he's forced to liveaboard due to limited finances, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he's been late on a payment once or twice, is it? The OP doesn't mention if there have been boats abandoned in the marina... which would be a reason for requesting pre-payment from their other clients—but doesn't speak too highly of the marina as a facility.

All the OP has said is that he had short notice. That's all. That doesn't really give enough information to say whether the change in payment arrangements is appropriate or not, whether they violate an existing contract or not... or much else at all.

As others have said... if it really bothers him that much, he should vote with his wallet and move his boat to a different marina. If he can't go to a different marina, then he shouldn't be bitching about it. I'm fairly surprised that this marina didn't jack up the slip fees or charge significant liveaboard fees, which seems to be very commonplace when new management take over existing marinas. Many marinas are eliminating liveaboard status entirely.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2008

svsashanell is on a distinguished road
Defered till July 1st

I spoke with the office manager and she said this wont go into effect till July 1st . They are drafting up a new contract.

Looks like I got another three months. cool

The previous notice was sent to all liveaboards.

By new management I mean: A new General Manager took over the first of the year, 2008.

I have a written contract on file right now, due to renew in May. I did send a new one a few days ago.

Oh well the heat is off for a while.

Thanks for all the insightful comments.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.