SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Liveaboard under attack by marina

23K views 74 replies 40 participants last post by  weoftheboatpeople 
#1 · (Edited)
Iv'e lived on my sailboat for 3.5 years straight this time and seen this marina change ownersship three years ago. New rules/ regs.
Now with new management I recieved a letter saying the marina no longer allows monthley rent payments and only quarterley, semi-annually or yearley.

This letter was received on 3-24-08 enclosed is a bill for the next three months with a due date of 4-1-08. One weeks notice to pay three months in advance ( its for slip rent and liveaboard fee) $774.00.

Ive been here for 10 years and what gives these people the right to jack me around like this.

I need to know what my options are. Im tired of being a doormat.

N 37 16'02".18 W 76 25'21"70

#65 ·
Some of the replies to this post appall me. I was hoping that this forum was free of the rampant 'e-thugs' that some less mature forums seem to be overrun with. Apparently not. This is my first post after many years of quietly reading posts, and I must say that my respect for some members has dropped significantly.

#67 ·
If more people started anchoring, I'll bet the capitolist system would start working it's magic !
Here in Central east coast florida there is a ballot init. to limit waterfront assessment to the actual use valuation instead of the Max use rating they currently use.
I doubt that will suddenly reduce any fees charged.
What is making marinas a bit more user friendly is the economy tanking. In the ponce inlet area Adventure Yacht Harbor changed ownership and policies concerning Liveaboards in initial anticipation of leveling the place and building and selling Megayacht slips.
Well, that plan changed when the building craze slowed here. So, now they are a "boat club" you join for a grand and use their collection of power boats for a monthly fee.
Initially the live aboards were rather upset and most scrambled to find another marina. A few sold there boats and moved ashore. And others still have there boats there but live ashore.
I cannot justify the expense of tying to a dock, as I also Maintain a house So, I anchor responsibly as do many others.
I check my boat daily and spend as much time aboard as life will allow.
I sailed the east coast all last year and loved it. I found many diverse situations for living aboard and as many different approaches and attitudes as well.
Like the rest of the world there seems to be alot of disdain and confusion when different approaches to life cross paths.
I was saddened to read the responses of many "Sailors" to the original Poster, but , unfortunately not suprised, the time I've spent here reading how many pre-judge others and make assumptions as to the motivations and lifestyles of their fellow sailors.
I find merrit in many of the views expressed, but don't necessrily agree with or favor them.
I see alot more available slips as the economy changes, and less ground breaking for waterfront construction. One old timer told me that's the way it goes, in cycles.
Incidently last year I spent the summer months in the fingerlakes area of NY and you could rent a slip for the season w/power and elect,etc. for $500 and $1100 would get you year round in or out ,quite a few year round live aboards .

#68 ·
Unfortunately, many communities are trying to limit the ability of boats to anchor out for extended periods of time. Just look at Florida... where mooring fields have filled in most of the decent anchorages, and laws have been passed in an attempt, currently failing, to limit the ability for people to anchor out elsewhere.

Prices for slips are going up because the number of available slips in many areas is falling due to the loss of marinas to waterfront development.

In many places a condo development in the place of a large marina is worth a lot more tax money to the local town/city government and there's a fair bit of money to be made by the developers doing so as well.

#70 ·
In many places a condo development in the place of a large marina is worth a lot more tax money to the local town/city government and there's a fair bit of money to be made by the developers doing so as well.
Sad but true. That's the same reason wooded areas are disappearing around where we live. Developers don't care a bit about preserving the local ecology. It's cheaper (and probably faster) to clear cut everything, build, then plant a few paltry saplings.

#72 ·
Well luckily there are a couple areas nearby where the city stepped in and passed ordinances disallowing clear cutting. My house was built on such land and the developers are only allowed to cut down enough trees to accomodate the house and modest front/back yards. Anything more and they are fined, HEAVILY!

#74 ·
A bit ironic given your signature... BTW, new owners ≠ higher fees if you have an existing contract. :rolleyes:

#75 ·
Over here in Australia most if not all marinas payments are either by the month, quarterly, half yearly or yearly. As an incentive the greater the prepaid period paid for the greater the discount. In other words the greater the prepaid period the greater the level of reduced rate. Personally I have no problems with extended prepaid periods of marina payments.

However what is beginning to happen is that marinas reduce the number of smaller berths. Thus 10 meter berths are becoming harder to come by. As a consequence boat owners are finding themselves having to place their smaller boat in bigger births, and of course at greater cost. Coupled with the local councils and the port authority are dictating the number of liver-a-aboard allocations making things even harder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.