SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Liveaboard under attack by marina

23K views 74 replies 40 participants last post by  weoftheboatpeople 
#1 · (Edited)
Iv'e lived on my sailboat for 3.5 years straight this time and seen this marina change ownersship three years ago. New rules/ regs.
Now with new management I recieved a letter saying the marina no longer allows monthley rent payments and only quarterley, semi-annually or yearley.

This letter was received on 3-24-08 enclosed is a bill for the next three months with a due date of 4-1-08. One weeks notice to pay three months in advance ( its for slip rent and liveaboard fee) $774.00.

Ive been here for 10 years and what gives these people the right to jack me around like this.

I need to know what my options are. Im tired of being a doormat.

N 37 16'02".18 W 76 25'21"70

#2 ·
I don't know of a marina in my neck of the woods, that would even allow you to pay monthly. Many here require the full season to be paid in advance. Be thankful for what you had and still have.

#3 ·
I'll admit it does sound to be rather short notice. You might wish to examine your previous contract regarding terms and renewal.

Other than that it seems neither onerous nor unusual. What gives them the right? I think they own the marina. Did you think you'd somehow accrued ownership rights due to longevity? It's pay or move, same as the day you first moved in there. Or buy the marina and you can set the policy.

#4 ·
Just be thankful you can still live aboard ...my marina kicked every one off or out last year..

#7 ·
I don't see this being a problem with the Marina... although they could have been a bit more diplomatic about it.

As I see it—they own the place, and unless you've got a lease or contract that says you can pay monthly... they have every right to ask you to pay quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.

Most of us pay far more and have to pay per season (six months) or annually.

In many ways, you've been quite lucky, since they could have raised the rates or added a liveaboard "fee" or ejected the liveaboards completely.

#9 ·
Plumper-

The guy writes "Liveaboard under attack by Marina"... yet, I see no attack here.

I see someone whining about the marina wanting to go from a month-to-month policy to a quarterly, seasonal, or annual policy. And he's paying a good deal less than most of us are paying for his slip. Most marinas in the New England area are charging $100 per foot for the season. On a 30' boat, that works out to $3000 for six months or $500 per month for the six month season. That doesn't include electricity or liveaboard fees. He's paying $774 for THREE MONTHS... or less than half what most liveaboards in this area would be paying...

Sorry, but it is a bit hard to dig up any sympathy for this guy... after what I've been through, I don't really have any patience for whiners.

#12 ·
This letter was received on 3-24-08 enclosed is a bill for the next three months with a due date of 4-1-08. One weeks notice to pay three months in advance ( its for slip rent and liveaboard fee) $774.00.
Are you sure you didn't hear about it before you got the notice ?

Doesn't sound like the kind of thing a marina would do with so little notice. Most people know about changes like that months before they actually happen, I would think that'd even be more true if you were living in the marina.

Maybe you were on vacation and the dog ate the first notice ? :)

#13 ·
Even money says he tuned out at the first less than tepid response and won't bother checking in for any others. I could be wrong, but the post just strikes me as one, from a brand new member, as one of those where he's looking for the full wrath and power of the internet and aggrieved live-aboards everywhere to come down on his side. Resulting in what? "Oh we didn't realize it was you. That notice doesn't apply to you. In fact we're cutting your rent in half and you can pay it whenever you want." (g)

#14 ·
$774 for 3 months...... I'll trade ya.

I have to pay the entire season in one billing, and it's a lot more than what you're paying. A lot of members here pay much more than I do anyway.

I've got an idea. It seems that you have not paid yet, so use your market power and take your money elsewhere. Find a different marina that suits your needs. That'll show 'em for telling you when you can and cannot pay. Of course, once you get to the new marina you'll loose you're marina "seniority" and you'll have to start over building up your rank until you can start telling the new marina how they need to operate their own buisness. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Just goes to show ya can't keep em all happy :confused:

Berth fees are an annual contract here an they have just started allowing quarterly payments this year

Yearly fees for a 40' $7500 or quarterly @ $1875 an it is the cheapest marina on island.

So Count your blessings, cheap skate.:mad:

#18 ·
I need to know what my options are.
Pay up or move as I see it.
Chances are your not going to like the new place any better.
We like a lot of others have to pay for the 6 month season up front. $3500.00

I could be wrong, but the post just strikes me as one, from a brand new member, as one of those where he's looking for the full wrath and power of the internet and aggrieved live-aboards everywhere to come down on his side.
Or it could be another, I came here to hear what I want to hear.

#19 ·
N 37 16'02.18" W 76 25'21.70"

Don't know the area, but using GE (needed to correct his co-ordinates), it seems like a very nice marina on the Perin River, VA - in the lower Chesapeake.

I would have guessed much more money for a 12 month liveaboard at that location. My marina charged $6,000 just for a 6-month season - in advance.

#21 ·
Iv'e lived on my sailboat for 3.5 years straight this time and seen this marina change ownersship three years ago. New rules/ regs.
Now with new management I recieved a letter saying the marina no longer allows monthley rent payments and only quarterley, semi-annually or yearley.

Ive been here for 10 years and what gives these people the right to jack me around like this.

I need to know what my options are. Im tired of being a doormat.

N 37 16'02".18 W 76 25'21"70
I have you answer! I have a 2 bedroom apartment for rent here in New York. $1,200 a month. First month and 1 month security down and rent is due on the first of the month. I think your right I wouldn't let them push you around like that.

#22 ·
Welcome

svsashanell Welcome to Sailnet. I see this is your first post and wish to welcome you to our community. Hopefully you've been lurking for a while and realize the value that this forum can provide. With the warm greetings you've been given I'm sure you'll return soon.:mad:

Jealousy can bring out the worst in some and it appears that you have received a very reasonable rate for your slip. I am jealous too. It is unfortunate that your marina has changed regarding payment in a way that you do not like. Have you tried to talk with the new owners and see if they might be willing to work with you on a payment plan that is agreeable to both of you? Other than moving that might be your only option.

#69 ·
Have you tried to talk with the new owners and see if they might be willing to work with you on a payment plan that is agreeable to both of you? Other than moving that might be your only option.
I know it can be daunting to suddenly be required to front a large sum up front when you're used to paying monthly. This happened to us the first time we refinanced our house but forgot to take the property taxes into account.

Perhaps you can work with them and come up with a payment schedule where you pay a bit extra each month until you're paying 3 months in advance. then just open a savings account and pay your monthly payments there and pay your payments into there. Then when the next payment is due, pay it out of that account.

#23 ·
I agree with Farcry...you had a plan and it was changed...they should at least have warned you in time...

Given the fact that they did not increase the rate, you will end up payig the same, right??

all this requires from you is a little effort in the begining and a good job at managing your money so you can have the money for the second trimester and following...

Open an account and every month you pay that account...then in 3 months you have the cash for that...as far as the first trimester, get a deal with them, maybe they let you pay it in 2 times...

I sympatize with your issue, and hope best luck to you...if its of any consolation to you...I pay $12.000 a year, in 4 easy installments of $3000 each....

see, when you think you're having a rainy day....in some one's yard, he's getting a flood....

#25 ·
I wish you were my banker Giulietta...... warn me in time....a little compassion...... a little common sense.........
Keep in mind, however.....this is the US......we want it all, and we want it now......Sad......but true.....
Live on what you can afford and pay as you go.....we'd be in a lot better shape......like in the REAL world......

#26 ·
Wow, arrogance, ignorance, stupidity, lack of compassion and a large dose of "look at how bad I have it"...all in response to one guy's question.

He did not ask anyone for a comparision of thier situation to his. He simply felt that HIS situation was unfairly caused by the marina.

To the few of you that felt you knew every motivation behind each word he said...please provide me your clairvoiance (sp) as it relates to the stock market.

Arrogance and ignorance is a double edged sword yeilded too often in response to a fair question.

I've read enough S*&t on this question I'm going outside to work on my new toilet. Should be a cleaner endeavor.

#30 ·
Wow, arrogance, ignorance, stupidity, lack of compassion and a large dose of "look at how bad I have it"...all in response to one guy's question.

He did not ask anyone for a comparision of thier situation to his. He simply felt that HIS situation was unfairly caused by the marina.

To the few of you that felt you knew every motivation behind each word he said...please provide me your clairvoiance (sp) as it relates to the stock market.

Arrogance and ignorance is a double edged sword yeilded too often in response to a fair question.

I've read enough S*&t on this question I'm going outside to work on my new toilet. Should be a cleaner endeavor.
Oh, hogwash!
The guy didn't come here looking for options, he came here to cry his tale of woe. He's so interested in constructive answers he hasn't even been back. And by anybody's math, the rate he's paying will get you a mooring about an hour over the horizon in most places in the US. He's got a slip in a rather nice area. The guy is cryin' poverty with a loaf of bread under his arm. If you get your toilet working maybe you can get your ****e together and see that fact. In any event, you win the Mr. Morally Superior contest of the day. Flush twice, there's more there than you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.