SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Liveaboard under attack by marina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/41669-liveaboard-under-attack-marina.html)

svsashanell 03-25-2008 10:34 PM

Liveaboard under attack by marina

Iv'e lived on my sailboat for 3.5 years straight this time and seen this marina change ownersship three years ago. New rules/ regs.
Now with new management I recieved a letter saying the marina no longer allows monthley rent payments and only quarterley, semi-annually or yearley.

This letter was received on 3-24-08 enclosed is a bill for the next three months with a due date of 4-1-08. One weeks notice to pay three months in advance ( its for slip rent and liveaboard fee) $774.00.

Ive been here for 10 years and what gives these people the right to jack me around like this.

I need to know what my options are. Im tired of being a doormat.

N 37 16'02".18 W 76 25'21"70

Freesail99 03-25-2008 10:42 PM

I don't know of a marina in my neck of the woods, that would even allow you to pay monthly. Many here require the full season to be paid in advance. Be thankful for what you had and still have.

sailaway21 03-25-2008 10:57 PM

I'll admit it does sound to be rather short notice. You might wish to examine your previous contract regarding terms and renewal.

Other than that it seems neither onerous nor unusual. What gives them the right? I think they own the marina. Did you think you'd somehow accrued ownership rights due to longevity? It's pay or move, same as the day you first moved in there. Or buy the marina and you can set the policy.

Stillraining 03-25-2008 10:59 PM

Just be thankful you can still live aboard ...my marina kicked every one off or out last year..

JiffyLube 03-25-2008 11:03 PM

I wish I was paying what you pay, my rent is $650.00 per month.

Boasun 03-25-2008 11:21 PM

They want to be sure that they get their lucre whether you are there or not.

sailingdog 03-25-2008 11:38 PM

I don't see this being a problem with the Marina... although they could have been a bit more diplomatic about it.

As I see it—they own the place, and unless you've got a lease or contract that says you can pay monthly... they have every right to ask you to pay quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.

Most of us pay far more and have to pay per season (six months) or annually.

In many ways, you've been quite lucky, since they could have raised the rates or added a liveaboard "fee" or ejected the liveaboards completely.

Plumper 03-25-2008 11:46 PM

Not a lot of sympathy here!

sailingdog 03-26-2008 12:25 AM

Plumper—

The guy writes "Liveaboard under attack by Marina"... yet, I see no attack here.

I see someone whining about the marina wanting to go from a month-to-month policy to a quarterly, seasonal, or annual policy. And he's paying a good deal less than most of us are paying for his slip. Most marinas in the New England area are charging $100 per foot for the season. On a 30' boat, that works out to $3000 for six months or $500 per month for the six month season. That doesn't include electricity or liveaboard fees. He's paying $774 for THREE MONTHS... or less than half what most liveaboards in this area would be paying...

Sorry, but it is a bit hard to dig up any sympathy for this guy... after what I've been through, I don't really have any patience for whiners.

Plumper 03-26-2008 12:33 AM

I agree. No need to justify your comments.