Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008

stacyk40 is on a distinguished road
Question Nov2008-May2009 bahamas cruising W/teen girl

Will be cruising the Bahamas next winter with 16yr old daughter. Looking for contacts for her and info on internet schooling and internet access. Is it feasible to on-line school in the Bahamas or is access too sketchy?
stacy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I can't answer your question, but I would like to make a comment.
You are a very brave individual.

At sixteen all my daughters can think about is being around other sixteen year olds, school, studying, and BOYS!

For me, this would not be a good time to take my daughter on an extended cruise.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-31-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Tj obviously had his hand's full with raging hormonal daughters . . . I can relate very well. But don't let that deter you. I suppose there are some 16 y/o girls who are level-headed and won't sneak off in the dinghy after the parents are asleep . . . an extreme rarity though. (g)
Old 03-31-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
My daughter is 17. Tell her she can invite a friend whenever she wants and she will be happy. The friends will be happy too - for the price of a plane ticket they can have an otherwise free week in the Bahamas
Old 03-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome Stacy...
Try here for high school distance learning curriculum.
Accredited Private School – Home Schooling Curriculum for Distance Learning

Wifi is READILY available throughout the Abacos and PARTS of the Exumas...but there is no good way to get internet access on many of the less traveled parts of the Bahamas. So...the practicality of home schooling while there is either excellent or non-existent depending on your cruising plans.
Old 04-01-2008

stacyk40 is on a distinguished road
Cruising with teens

Thanks for al the input! We will certainly tailor our cruising to fit schooling needs. We have a unique situation, husband retiring from a job in Sicily this year, so we would be returning to the states and to a school she hasn't been to--even though this is our hometown. Andei just isn't into the smalltown, get involved in the drama of it all atmosphere. She would like to study journalism, communication, language and culture. As a matter of fact, she would rather "go to Mexico so I can learn another language" than the Bahamas right now. We think a trial cruise a little closer to home (NC) is a good beginning. From what I've read Georgetown has more international kids than other areas and more to do. She is like other teens--enjoys being around other teens. Enjoys surfing, soccer, etc. We are flexible. It is possible that next year we will be in Mexico--or maybe the Bahamas again. We are all open to the possibilities that unfold before us. Again, thanks for your input and welcome any info. stacy
Old 05-22-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
At age 15 my daughter was mature enough to spend a year in Australia as a Rotary exchange student. (I took us 6 months to get her to speak proper English when she got home! LOL) So, not all girls that age will act like the stereotypical teenager.

I think a 6-month cruise through the Bahamas will be a great family bonding experience, perhaps the last one you may ever enjoy together. Georgetown would be a great place to spend the bulk of the winter season. With hundreds of boats congregated there each year, there are apt to be other boats with cruising teens for your daughter to meet and visit with.

If your daughter wishes to experience Mexican culture and learn to speak Spanish, include "Introductory Spanish" in her home-school curriculum. As she finishes one level, move her on to the next one. At the end of your cruise she should be fairly proficient. As was mentioned in another post, look into well-known home schooling curriculums. They are challenging and well respected by the educational community.

Rather than forcing your cruising agenda to meet your daughter's interests and learning needs, why not look into student exchange programs that focus on Spanish-speaking countries. You may find that she would be just as interested as experiencing life in Spain as she is in Mexico. For example, one boy who was an exchange student in my daughter's group, went to Bolivia and had a fantastic experience. BTW, exchange students to South and Central America, are usually placed in the homes of well-to-do, professional families. Your daughter may actually enjoy a higher standard of living with her host family (ies) than she does at home!

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

P.S. If your daughter is interested in journalism, encourage her to keep a daily journal and to take photos of interesting things she sees along the way. This may be something that will help her with college admissions in a few years.