SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dogs living aboard

18K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  pbirocchi 
#1 ·
I'm currently looking for a boat to live aboard on, and was wondering how many of you out there have lived aboard with your dogs? Me and my boyfriend both are big dog fans but wanted to put in some research about which breed is the best, and how they fit into boating lifestyle. Any input that you can give me, good or bad would be great.
thank you,

#3 ·
One good choice might be a Portugese water dog. IIRC, these dogs don't shed fur, since they have hair instead of fur. They're also very, very comfortable around the water, having been bred for it for years. They're a medium sized dog.

#5 ·
Me and my boyfriend both are big dog fans but wanted to put in some research about which breed is the best,
Do you mean BIG dogs, or you're big fans? Because for obvious reasons, big dogs don't do too well living in confined quarters. Plus, their poo becomes more of an issue. :rolleyes:

We've had shi-tzus for 20 years as summer liveaboards on our last three boats. Both have made excellent boat dogs, due to their low center of gravity and, being hair dogs, the breed never sheds.

#6 ·
Don't forget, dogs need exercise. While they can be trained to do their business on a boat. They still need shoretime to get in some exercise to stay healthy. So you have to keep in mind getting them in and out of a dinghy (not to mention, up and down the companionway).

The vast majority of dogs I've seen while cruising are small to medium sized, with small the largest percentage. I've seen dogs as big as Rottwielers though as well.

Please remember, before bringing a pet aboard, to think about the pet's needs, ahead of your need to have them there.

#7 ·
Couple of other things I am remembering about the water dog. I have recently developed an allergy to some dogs, which is a major bummer for me, but because they have hair, the allergy is greatly reduced. They will shed a little. I do remember a friend that had one. Her's was a big food thief and a good watchdog too. Heres a link for you. PWDCA [Home]

#8 ·
A few good breeds for someone with dog allergies and who want to live on a boat with them are the Portugese Water Dog, the Golden Doodle (half golden retriever/half poodle), the Labradoodle (same thing but labrador retreiver instead of golden). These three dogs do well in the water, have good personalities and don't shed--since they have hair and not fur.

They do need haircuts on occassion. Also, try and get them in the smaller sizes, as the larger once can be very big. My friends have a Golden Doodle that is headed for 120+ lbs... at less than two years of age. :)

These dogs do need exercise, but can often get it by swimming, rather than running.

The other dogs that seem to do well aboard are the fairly small dogs, like Jack Russell Terriers, Chihuahuas and such...

#11 ·
A few good breeds for someone with dog allergies and who want to live on a boat with them are the Portugese Water Dog, the Golden Doodle (half golden retriever/half poodle), the Labradoodle (same thing but labrador retreiver instead of golden). These three dogs do well in the water, have good personalities and don't shed--since they have hair and not fur.

They do need haircuts on occassion. Also, try and get them in the smaller sizes, as the larger once can be very big. My friends have a Golden Doodle that is headed for 120+ lbs... at less than two years of age. :).
Ditto the advice from BF and SD on the Portuguese Water Dog. We've met several when out boating and the owners spoke highly of their adaptability. There are two "haircuts", one that makes them look like a poodle, the other that makes them look more like a retriever. We prefer the latter. However, we have met some (in our neighborhood) that were VERY high strung.

The nicest boat dog we ever met was an F1 Labradoodle. But she is fairly big (75-80 lbs). This past weekend we met a woman at our marina with an F1 mini-Labradoodle (Lab crossed with a toy or mini poodle -- I think via artificial insemination for those of you wondering). She was just like the Doodle we love, but half the size. Really nice dog and a good size for boating if you're inclined to bring them along...

#9 ·
Living aboard with Dogs

I have lived aboard with dogs. We had 2 miniature Schnauzers that had spent most of their lives on a boat.

The goods:

They are great companions. We love dogs and are def dog people. It was always fun watching them run the shore or take them out in the dink. Our dogs really took to it and loved dink rides. To this day Scooter, the only one still living and at age 14, still prefers to ride in the dink over the main boat!!! No lie. We pulled him down the ICW a few times in the dink (In protected weather and life jacket, of course). I guess they provide some level of protection. I guarantee you no one would get on that boat without Myra (our other dog) knowing about it. Not sure either one would be able to stop an intruder, but sure would not get far without us knowing it.

THat is probabyl the end of the positives.

The negatives:

You really take the dog out there more for you than them. Although our dogs love it, I think they would probably be more happy running in some back yard somewhere. The exercise issue has been brought up. I guess I am not really that worried about it since we would often go to shore and let them run - which is probably more than 90% of dog owners do that stay inside (where all of our dogs have ever stayed... no outside dogs for us). None of our dogs have gotten motion sickness except for our current dog (an English Bulldog). We found that by keeping her stomach with food in it, we would reduce/eliminate that problem. The motion sickness goes away for her within a day or so and she is back to normal. Scooter could care less.

If it is just you and your boyfriend/husband and your aspirations are US cruising and marina liveaboard (that accepts dogs... you better ask), I would say you will be moderately happy. If you plan on living on the hook, doing cruising outside the US, cruising places inside the US with difficult shores (to potty the dog), or in a marina that does not allow dogs, you will be miserable. Dogs crapping and peeing in the cockpit is a grosse reality of what to expect (and hope it is in the cockpit). I found most of the other cruisers around us that lived aboard did not get out much and do much exploring becuase of dog issues (they have to crap somewhere). They mostly hung around the marina. That was no us... but many did.

Also, you need to get a small dog, or one that can make it up the companionway steps on their own. Hauling their fat butt up the steps gets old, really quick - as well as on/off the boat. Getting a dog that does not get sea sick is a crap shoot with ANY breed... period. I would not beleive anyone that tells you different. If you get one that gets sea sick and cannot recover, you will have to get rid of the dog, the boat, or the cruising aspirations.

In essnse, though we love dogs, doubtful they will go with us this time - esp the bulldog. We have family members that are fighting over who would get to keep her (luckily). Scooter won't make it much longer, so he is not an issue (unfortunately). Make sure you have a backup plan.

I would probably discourage taking dogs unless you are REALLY mentally set for it, and meet the criteria I have listed above.

- CD

PS All that being said, there are many people that LOVE and will ALWAYS have dogs on board. Even with the many negatives I have listed, we bought another. Do not listen to closely to the Nay-sayers - especially that have not lived abord or cruised with a dog. Only you know yourselves and how much crap (hehe) you are willing to deal with for a companion.

#10 ·
My wife and I have always had a Schipperke. While we have not lived on the boat we have taken them aboard for as much as ten day trips. Never had a problem with them. A Schipperke is a belgian breed, bred as watch dogs and rat catchers on the canal barges in Belgium. They are fairly small, about 15-20 lbs, heavy black coat, fox-like face with pointed ears, no tail. Properly cropped, they don't even have a stub. A recent article in Boat U S magazine called them the perfect water dog. Our current pup is being trained to do his business in a litter box. If you look at the web site "Libertysails dot com" you can read about Rudy, a long haired Dachshund, owned by Suzanne Geismann, a retired navy commander and author. Rudy has always used a litter box when Suzanne and her husband are cruising. BTW, her book "Living the Dream" is a wonderful cruising story. Both Dachshunds and Schipperkes are good breeds for boats. They are small enough to get some excersize on deck, easy to carry when too old to climb the companionway, large enough that you won't step on them, very intelligent and easy to train, noisy watchdogs with a kind enough temperment they will not attack and get their owner in a lawsuit!

#12 ·
Maybe a toy or miniature poodle. They don't shed, are very smart and adapt to small quarters very nicely. I have an 8 year old toy that loves the boat. She's easy to move from the boat to the dingy when I go ashore and she doesn't eat much. :) Got her trained to use those pee pads. No muss, no fuss.

Andy

#13 ·
I get the funny feeling that my friend's golden doodle has some giant poodle genes in the mix... since he's pushing over 110 lbs. at less than 2 years old. :) You definitely want one of the ones that has toy or miniature poodle in their gene line, rather than giant poodle. :)

#14 · (Edited)
Dachshunds

Hi, like previously stated dachshunds make excellant boat dogs. I have two that i take on all my boats from a kayak to dinghy, sailboat and powerboat. They also ride together on my Harley and they haven't been a problem, are very adventurous and the worst i could say is they are loyal watchdogs and are very protective but like has been said won't get you in a lawsuit. My sailing buddy also has a Schipperke and it too is a great boating dog and very at home on his 30 foot C@C.

#15 ·
Hi, like previously stated dachshunds make excellant boat dogs. I have two that i take on all my boats from a kayak to dinghy, sailboat and powerboat. They also ride together on my Harley and they haven't been a problem, are very adventurous and the worst i could say is they are loyal watchdogs and are very protective but like has been said won't get you in a lawsuit. My sailing buddy also has a Schipperke and it too is a great boating dog and very at home on his 30 foot C@C.
I'd be careful of their backs. I have a little dachshund who is a bit too energetic for his own good and now has back problems.

#17 ·
There have been references on this post about a difference between "hair" and "fur". Let's put that myth to rest. There is no biological difference that identifies the product of some follicles as hair or fur. All hairs have a period of growth, a characteristc length, and a rate of loss or shedding. These times vary in organisms and different body areas, but nothing distinguishes hair from fur. No hair "requires" cutting and no hair is not "shed". Hair is not often the source of allergens, but allergic responses are likely due to saliva, skin secretions, oils & "dander", skin particles. There are many reasons to favor one pet over another and the rate of shedding or hair length may be a factor, but all mammals shed hair and none require hair cuts! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#18 ·
Dogs

We have a Labradoodle on our Tartan 38 and the dog and boat work well together. The dog does not shed and has the aft cabin to herself. She is able to go in and out of the companionway by herself. There is a transom shower, which is a big plus and she likes to sleep on deck during the daytime in the well for the life raft.

#20 ·
Live aboard dogs

I've lived aboard quite a bit during my adult life, and until a few years ago, I always had canine companions.

The first time was aboard a 29 foot sloop back in the early 1980's when a very ugly divorce left me no choice but to live aboard or give up the boat. Anyway, I had my two Shetland Sheepdogs and we did fine. Kelpie, the male, was about 25 pounds and Shannon, The Queen of all she purveyed, was about 18 or 19 pounds.

Kelpie had gone on his first sailing trip aboard my O'Day Day Sailor, a trip from Long Beach to Catalina when he was 10 weeks old, and it was obvious that I'd chosen an appropriate name. Kelpie was a sea dog to the bone. He loved it, and never in his life got seasick, no matter how rough it got. Shannon did okay most of the time, but suffered occasional mal de mer in rough weather. She 'joined the crew' after the O'Day, and learned sailing on a 29 footer.

Both dogs used the forward deck when we were anchored or it was really smooth. I put down an exceptionally aggressive non-skid on the deck, because I hated slipping and it gave the dogs good traction, too. I did, after Kelpie followed me in swimming, put on life nets from the bow rail to the stern rail.

I took that little 29 footer and did a single-handed crossing from Long Beach to Honolulu, and Kelpie ended up being the best crew I have ever sailed with. I'd do my sleeping during the day, waking up for a noon sextant shot, then napping again until just before dusk. While I was sleeping, my little canine crewman stayed on deck, lazing in the shade of the sails and watching the horizon. When a ship came into sight, he'd start barking, and get me up. On a couple of occasions, after a rough night with squalls, I was sleeping harder than normal, and if I didn't come on deck quick enough, he'd jump down and use his long nose to poke me until I was awake. On another occasion, a line on the self steering frayed through and broke. The little dog must have understood it meant trouble, because he absolutely started raising Caine until I came up on deck just in time to prevent an uncontrolled gybe.

Shannon kept me company at night. When the wind was right, she'd start fussing when she smelled the exhaust from a ship that was still over the horizon. Otherwise, she almost always spotted running lights before I could, and would start barking and wagging her tail.

Cleaning up after them was never a problem. A bucket of salt water took care of most problems. When it was rough and they couldn't go topside, they went in the fiberglass head. A little cleanup was all it took.

Many years later, I lived aboard my old Morgan 36T racer with another Sheltie, Skipper.

Like Shannon and Kelpie, he'd been raised sailing, so living aboard was fine with him. I'll say this now about Shelties: the are happy living just about anywhere. If they have acres to prowl, like Skipper did at a friend's place, he was okay with it. When we were waiting for the house to be built, we lived in a tiny efficiency apartment and he was okay with that, too. Living aboard was no big deal for him.

Skipper would 'say hello' to our liveaboard neighbors with a friendly bark and wag of the tail. He would also let strangers know they weren't welcome, and the barks were very distinctively different. The neighbors spoiled him rotten. When I was at work, he came and went below as he wanted to: I left the bottom drop boards out. He climbed the companionway ladder with no problem, and would jump onto the quarterberth to get down. The Marina rules said that all dogs had to be on a leash at all times. That wasn't a problem, either. He just carried his own leash was all. I rubber banded a 6' nylon 'show lead' into a bundle, and he carried it in his jaws. Knowing that the little guy was, if anything, too friendly, the Marina manager let us get away with it. The rule said he had to be on a leash. It didn't say who had to hold the leash, right?

Anyway, Skipper and I lived aboard for nearly five years, and even went cruising in the Bahamas. Like with Shannon and Kelpie before him, he shed heavily twice a year, so he got extra brushings and the vacuum got a workout.

Was it worth it? You bet. Would I do it again? Yes. Any suggestions? Sure. Here they are: Buy your little friend the best life jacket that you can buy, and make them wear it when the boat is underway. Dogs are good swimmers, but they are not strong swimmers. They get tired quickly, because they are basically running the water. Buy some of that incredibly expensive SOLAS reflective tape and sew it onto their life jackets, and buy a strobe light that is salt-water activated and attach it to their life jackets.

Keep their toenails trimmed close, because walking on a fiberglass deck is horribly hard on their feet. (That's from a DVM who was a liveaboard friend!)

Keep them brushed and clean. They're going to get wet, and we all know what wet, dirty dogs smell like.

Keep them on a steady diet of good food. It will keep their stools solid and easy to clean up. Skipper was being spoiled rotten by our neighbors and part of that was he was getting 'nibbles' from everyone. One guy, who said he'd never liked dogs before, even bought Skipper a box of doggy treats and would feed him one every day. It was cute, and fun, but Skipper's tummy didn't necessarily like it much. Loose or runny stools on a rainy day with everyone trapped below is not pleasant. I finally made a sign that said, "Please don't feed me any treats. The Captain says I'm getting fat!" Skipper 'signed' it with a little paw print and I hung it on the bow rail. Most people laughed and cooperated, but I think that the 'dog hater' cheated occasionally.

Take them for walks every day and let them burn off their excess energy. Play ball with them, take them swimming, whatever, but keep them active. They'll be happier and live longer.

Keeping an eye on the boat for you is fine. That's what a watch dog is for, but it has to be reasonable. Having a dog barking and raising H*** for ten minutes just because someone walked past is unacceptable, and that's living aboard or living ashore. Prolonged barking should be a 'shout for help' when there is a real problem, like some teenaged jerks untying your docklines, such as happened to me down in Fort Lauderdale's city marina on the New River. I was lucky. Skipper raised so much of a racket he chased them off even before I could get on deck, .45 in hand. A big 'booze cruise', three deck boat a hundred feet from me hadn't been so lucky, and ricocheted down stream for a mile before the Lauderdale Marine Patrol, Sea Tow and TowBoat US could get her under control. I heard at Lauderdale Marine Center that the big boat had caused about 3 million in damages, and drove the owners broke because their insurance didn't want to pay off. They never caught the kids, naturally. (There's another lesson in this. When I'm in the city marina now, I put a 'waist' chain with locks at both ends.)

Remember that dogs are hard-wired to please you. Remember that you have to be their 'Alpha' to make them behave. I know it sounds silly, but if you're going to be living aboard, watch 'the Dog Whisperer' on Nat-Geo. That guy is an absolute wizard at teaching you how to be the Big Dog.

Some people have recommended big dogs. I absolutely disagree with that. Your canine buddy will, sooner or later, go overboard. Maybe, like Kelpie, he just wanted to follow me in for a swim, or because he thought I was in trouble. A good dog will always do what he thinks he has to to help his Big Dog. Kelpie probably thought I'd fallen overboard and followed me in to 'save' me. What actually happened was I had forty pounds of soggy fur and dog that I had to get aboard without any help on deck. That was tough for me, and tougher for him because I ended up picking him up by the scruff and basically throwing him aboard. Now imagine if that had been a big Golden or some other 70 pound dog. Even worse, imagine a 110 pound Rottie! How would you get them aboard? That's like picking up a small human, and a dog will start panicking before very long when he realizes he can't get out of the water, which makes it worse. You can handle a panicked human. I defy you to try and hang on to 100 pounds of frightened dog.

So pass on the big dog breeds. Goldens are great, but they just don't belong on a boat, IMHO.

Good luck, and enjoy living aboard. And don't forget to take your canine buddy with you.

:D

Cap'n Gary
S/V Island Breeze

#21 ·
Why hi there. Oh look a hefelump in the room and know one seems to have noticed.

de dum de dum.

I'm reminded of summfink.

Let me do a quick search.

Wow , look what I found.

Oh people, a mine of information to be had.

I'm surprised that you havn't mentioned it SD !!

Here you go.

This post is dedicated to the memory of Bulldoggus Geniarsis Brickus and there loving owner Thickasa.

Enjoy.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/29867-cruising-bull-dogs.html

Bwah hah hah.....

Those were the days my friends we thought they'd never end we'd sing and dance and .....oh sorry. I'll just get my coat then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.