Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Visit Turkish Navy web page cooking ob board section (follow the link below and select "Route Taste English Version"...
"http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/turkce/Ro...t/ANASAYFA.htm"
Soups, main foods, sea foods, olive oil dishes, rice, pastiries, mezes, and deserts...
Hope you'll like them...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Rice & Beans

Here's a few of our rice & bean recipes. I use canned beans when they're available; if you use dry, 1 cup of dry beans will make 2 cups cooked. Brown rice can sub for white rice in any of these, it will take 20 minutes in the pressure cooker with 1-1/2 cups water for one cup rice.

Yellow Rice and Pigeon Peas

2 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp annatto seed
1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
½ cup finely diced mild chile pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup finely chopped onion
½ cup finely diced fresh or canned tomato
¼ cup chopped green pimiento-stuffed olives
½ tsp dried oregano
1 cup medium-grain rice
2 cups cooked pigeon peas or crowder peas
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add annatto seeds and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, until oil is orange-red and fragrant. Remove from heat. Use a spoon to scoop seeds from oil and discard them.

Add peppers, garlic, onion, tomato, olives, and oregano to oil in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes, until onion softens. Add rice and stir to coat. Stir in peas, water, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, tightly cover pan, and cook for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in cilantro and serve to 4.

Black Beans & Rice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) black beans, well drained
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
pinch of sugar

1 cup rice
1/4 tsp ground annatto (if not available, you can substitute 1/2 tsp. turmeric, which will give you the golden color but won't taste quite the same)

3/4 cup chopped red onion
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded, minced
3-1/2 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, thinly sliced

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add beans, 1 cup water and bay leaf. Simmer until thick soup consistency, 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add vinegar, pepper sauce and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, bring remaining 2 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Add rice, annatto or turmeric, and salt and stir. Cover and cook over low heat until all liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes for long-grain white rice; 45 minutes for brown rice, or 20 minutes in the pressure cooker for brown rice.

Mix chopped red onion and chilies in small bowl. Mound rice in center of platter. Spoon beans around rice. Arrange roasted pepper slices atop beans. Pass red onion relish separately.
Easy Black Beans
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp dried thyme (1 tsp fresh)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
3 cups cooked black beans (two 14-ounce cans)
1/2 cup orange juice
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Sauté the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften. Add the ginger, thyme, and allspice and sauté, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the onions are very soft, for about 5 more minutes. Stir in the beans and orange juice and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. Mash a few of the beans with the back of a spoon for a thicker consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Serves 4.
Red Beans and Rice

1 ½ cups dry red kidney beans
1 rib celery, including leaves, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
½ tsp Tabasco
½ tsp salt
2 cups cooked long-grain brown or white rice

Pick over and rinse beans. Place beans in a heavy pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and Tabasco.

Continue cooking until beans are tender, 2 to 3 hours depending on the age of the beans. Stir occasionally because they tend to stick to the bottom of the pan. Keep beans covered with water, adding hot water as necessary. When beans are cooked, season with salt and discard bay leaves.

To serve, spoon ½ cup rice in the center of each plate. Ladle beans and sauce over rice to 4.
Bean & Rice Salad
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1-1/2 cups corn kernels (11-oz "vacuum-pack"can)
1-1/2 cups cooked black beans (14-oz can)
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
2 Hungarian banana peppers, finely diced
½ cup chopped scallions
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped green pimiento-stuffed olives
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
about 1/4 cup commercial bottled Lemon-Pepper Vinaigrette dressing (if not available, use 3 Tbsp lime juice total and 2 Tbsp olive oil)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl, toss to mix. Combine olive oil, lime juice, and vinaigrette (if using), whisk thoroughly. Pour over salad, toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at once or refrigerate for a few hours, then bring to room temperature before serving. Garnish with tomato wedges (optional).
Old 04-20-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merttan View Post
Visit Turkish Navy web page cooking ob board section (follow the link below and select "Route Taste English Version"...
"http://www.dzkk.tsk.mil.tr/turkce/Ro...t/ANASAYFA.htm"
Soups, main foods, sea foods, olive oil dishes, rice, pastiries, mezes, and deserts...
Hope you'll like them...
Merttan, the presentations of some of these are gorgeous! (Does everyone in the Turkish Navy eat this well, or only the officers?) Someone worked pretty hard to translate this and did a nice job. But how much is a "glass" of olive oil? And what is dovme?
Old 04-21-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Merttan, the presentations of some of these are gorgeous! (Does everyone in the Turkish Navy eat this well, or only the officers?) Someone worked pretty hard to translate this and did a nice job. But how much is a "glass" of olive oil? And what is dovme?
On certain recipes, espcially in olive oil based ones, we do use lots of olive oil... So in this case it's a regular water glass, approximetly 7fl oz...

I didn't catch the "dovme"... Which recipe has it? I mean it has many translations meaning from "tattoo" to "beated."

In Navy they do serve high carb food, most of the list can be seen in a daily meals. However, the officers eat in regular plates with better presentation versus regulars eat from metal trays served from big pots and pans

Of course, most of our ships and subs stay in shoreline routes, so they can restock almost every 3 days, from different bases... The food can get somewhat less "attractive" by the end of the longer NATO games, as far as what I heard...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 04-22-2008

The pity soup...
Fill the pot with water, then add crackers, crotons, beefjerky, and whatever spices you may have on board... Cook it for 5 minutes and serve in cups...

That's something I had to invent on an evening of heavy fog, anchored and hungry... It ended up pretty good, but what doesn't when you are hungry
Since then, I started carrying pasta and rice with canned tomato paste on board on my small 22 footer... It's a daysailer but sometimes the day doesn't end when you want it to be...
I don't want to steal the thread so I'll be quiet now...

Old 04-22-2008
Banned

I find it interesting that here, we advise "no spicy or greasy foods" to help reduce seasickness. I guess it's all about what you're used to - I've never seen a section on "olive oils" in a recipe list before!
Old 04-22-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
It's all about substitution.
Underway buffalo wings = saltine crackers, a dab of butter and a couple shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce. Surprize yourself and try it.
Underway Pizza = Thomas's English Muffins, tomato sauce, spices and cheese, throw a salted herring on it for flavor and protein.
Stir-fry - Anything you can cut up small and throw in a pot with a little oil followed by practically anything you can dig up as a sauce. I've used everything from peanut butter to a-1, and yes - at the same time.

I suspect you mean real recipes. I don't work from cook books I work by feel and imagination; and do 75% of the cooking to a constantly appreciate crowd.
Old 04-22-2008
Banned

Quote:
On certain recipes, espcially in olive oil based ones, we do use lots of olive oil... So in this case it's a regular water glass, approximetly 7fl oz...
That makes sense, the recipe was the one for green beans in the "olive oils" section.
Quote:
I didn't catch the "dovme"... Which recipe has it? I mean it has many translations meaning from "tattoo" to "beated."
Hmmm...Spinach Soup...so I can't even guess. (And likely won't be able to find it here anyway...
Quote:
In Navy they do serve high carb food, most of the list can be seen in a daily meals. However, the officers eat in regular plates with better presentation versus regulars eat from metal trays served from big pots and pans ...
Yes, Dan also claims that his crews have figured out that it's in their best interest to keep him well-fed ... but their circumstances are spartan and "well-fed" is a relative term!
Quote:
Of course, most of our ships and subs stay in shoreline routes, so they can restock almost every 3 days, from different bases... The food can get somewhat less "attractive" by the end of the longer NATO games, as far as what I heard...
The former girlfriend of one of our cruiser friends claimed she could write a book on "cooking with rotten fruits and vegetables" after 6 months aboard in the Caribbean
Old 04-22-2008
Galley Goddess

sailhagg is on a distinguished road
Here's my favorite 'cabbage' dish. For some really weird reason this sits well on my tummy...if I'm queezy/I want something greezy.....

1 package of turkey kielbasa (I view this as more heart-smart) dice 1 C and then slice the rest in bite sized pieces

1 head green cabbage, about 1 ½ to 2 lbs. Quartered, cored and thick sliced.

1 C coarse chopped yellow onion

1 ½ to 2 lbs red potatoes, quartered and sliced

1 C chicken broth, I use bullion cube and water

2 Tab Dijon mustard or regular if you don’t have Dijon

Salt and pepper to taste

Get out your pressure cooker and don’t use the rack. Put the chicken broth in cooker; add onion, cabbage, diced kielbasa (save remaining for later), mustard, potatoes. Cabbage will cook down and shrink quickly so don’t worry if it takes up more than the 2/3’s. Just be sure you’re not packing it down with the lid. If you are, cook it a bit until it wilts down.

Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure (15 lbs.) cook at pressure for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and run cold water over lid to drop pressure (cold water from bucket thrown over side if you can). Or, once you can open the pot add the remaining kielbasa and heat uncovered until heated through. Serve with a really chewy dark bread and butter if you can. Serves 4
Old 04-23-2008

Dovme

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
And what is dovme?
Oh boy, that "dovme" is... well here it goes...
Beated grown wheat, which lasts a long time, is boiled and mixed with butter before using... That's how you make dovme at least...

Most of those recipes can be prepared in a simple galley but most are cooked in fully equiped ship kitchens. Olive oil don't go bad, at least that quick, so they do carry lots of olive oil on those ships and it's high calories will give you the being full feeling. And, I even heard that they'd use the olive oil for emergency machine oil replacement...

The guy who thought me the seamanship used to roll, salted and spiced, meat to preserve it as a dried meat under the sun, than cooked them in olive oil and sea water... Same with fish... He was 80 about 10 years ago... Old school guy... Made us row in the dingy with ropes to pull the boat when there was no winds, or swim then walk to the shore pulling the boat close to the shallows or my favorite swim with the rope to pull the boat... One bell for right, two for left... Good thing that I learned how to swim from a coast guard... It was lots of work to learn from that guy; carry the anchor to the shore... clean the decks everyday... climb the mast to clean it...
I think that Gulet was about 50 years old when I was on it and had the original Mercedes diesel engine (installed from a truck) from 1940s...

Last edited by merttan; 04-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.