SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   center cockpits (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/4215-center-cockpits.html)

jiffy feet 05-28-2002 08:53 PM

center cockpits

Hi all,

I am looking for a center cockpit boat as a liveaboard. Can anyone point this total newbie to some boats I could search for? The only 2 I know are the Hunter 420 ($$$) and the Tayana 42 ($$$). I need to know what companies make these boats in order to search for a used one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff_H 05-29-2002 06:27 AM

center cockpits

My Dad bought a Brewer 12.8 cutter some years ago and that has proven to be a super cruiser and live aboard. There are quite a few available on SailNet BoatSearch in a wide price range (including Dad''s). His is the keel centerboard version which is a really nice set up. It allows very shallow draft for a boat this size and yet affords excellent upwind and offwind performance. The CB is also nice since you can use it to precisely balance the boat. The Brewer 12.8''s offer a better build quality than the other two that you mention as well.

Another favorite of mine in this general category if the Kelly Peterson 44''s. They offer a nice layout and good performance for a good liveaboard and offshore cruiser.

Morgan 43''s seem to be pretty readily available and seem to be nice boats for the money.

If you are looking for a lot of room cheaply, and performance and build quality is less important then I would suggest that you look at the Morgan Out Island 41. These boats apparently vary pretty widely in build quality from some pretty junky versions that I worked on to some higher quality versions owned by some participants in discussions on these boats. Still and all they represent one of the great bargains in cheap spacious live aboards.

Gotta Go,
Jeff

sailor582002 05-29-2002 08:28 AM

center cockpits

Pearson 424''s make nice live aboards and are very cruisable. No longer made, they are available on the used market in the $125K range.
Used Vagabonds (42 and 47 from $160K up), Endeavors (43 $140K), Halburg Rassy in various lengths, Bristol 43. There are many, many center cockpit boats available from as many manufacturers. Hit the internet at yachtworld.com for thousands of listings & pictures. If you have $500K, go for a new Amel 54'', great boat, world class cruiser.
Good luck, don''t be in a hurry!!!

MaryBeth 06-03-2002 11:30 PM

center cockpits

Sorry Jeff and Sailor,

But, don''t forget the Beneteau Oceanis CC series. Roomy, affordable for the $$, and so lovely to sail. I have singlehanded the 40 many times, across a few lakes and a few miles on the ICW and out for daysails.

Other than that, there is the Norseman 447 that seems to be a great liveaboard both room and set-up wise. They galley was a wonderful treat - storage, etc. Don''t even know if they make them anymore, though, or how many are available used. Brought one from St. Lucia to Little River, SC. Very easy singlehander for her size and sail. My only warning - she''s a bitch on a downhill run. Sails great and gets thru cells fast but there''s not a comfy place to sleep on the whole boat while downhill.

Again, sorry,

MaryBeth

mikedoyle 06-06-2002 12:39 PM

center cockpits

Something more on the low end of the price scale is the S2 9.2 center cockpit. I lived on mine in Charleston, SC for a spell, and here''s my $.02...

They are on the small side (around 31'' overall), but they are very affordable. Mine was a ''79 and cost well under $40k - I can''t remember the exact price. My experience was that she was extremely solid, a fair liveaboard for someone under 6''5", and she was half-way decent under sail.

On the down side, she was imho underpowered with only a 10hp Yanmar - something I didn''t appreciate with the currents in Charleston.

All in all, a very well-rounded affordable cruiser liveaboard...in fact, I bought her from a couple who lived on her for a couple of years - with cats! And now that I''m landlocked...I miss her every day!

kac 06-27-2002 10:52 AM

center cockpits

The Morgan 381, built on the Catalina 380 hull, has a good interior layout. Used ones seem to only date back to the early 90''s, which may mean it was first built then, and they go for about $130k. I don''t have any personal experience with them, though.

ABullard 08-06-2002 11:29 AM

center cockpits

After searching for 5 years we found the perfect CC cruising boat, the Mariner 39 sloop. It is very well built and sails like a dream. We bought the boat from the first owners who sailed it for 18 years to Alaska, Tahiti, and Peru. It a proven blue water boat.

These boats were built in Rochester, NH between 1978 and 1982. They have an excellent layout, definitely better than anything you will find on today''s new boats. Two cabins with private heads in each, lots of storage space, 180 gallons of water, 80 gals of fuel. Mine has a Perkins 4-108 deisel.

My boat was in immaculate condition and I bought it for $62,000. I have seen them also in the mid 40s.

There is a owner''s web site. Look it up on google under Mariner Yachts. Dont confuse this with the Mariner Yachts built in California.

Good luck.

WHOOSH 08-17-2002 05:28 AM

center cockpits

Several additions:

Pearson''s center-cockpit model in the 40'' range is the 422, built after they stopped making the 424 (which is a better choice, of course, but then you can guess what we sail <g>)

I think Jeff means the Morgan 46 vs. 43; big (huge!) and boxy but very roomy and somewhat of a cult favorite here on Florida''s west coast where shallow draft seems critical to some.

Time and again I''ve met owners of Mariner 39''s who were super pleased with their choice, both living aboard & cruising, just like ABullard. It has good build quality having been built when there were still New England ''old school'' craftsman in abundance but, regretably, not many were built.

One other boat not mentioned is the Allied Mistress, their 39'' CC model. A bit old now but they are inexpensive, basic/strong build quality, and roomy. Like many of the other boats mentioned in this thread, however, they aren''t noteworthy sailors.

Jack

KenD 08-26-2002 06:13 AM

center cockpits

something on the lower end of the spectrum.coronado 35 ft cc quite a bit of interior room and are priced from 27 to 40 thousand I have one on the chesepeake with shoal draft and rf rm new volvo 45 turbo and reglassed bottom.Nice day sailing sunday with 130 g at 4.6 knts of course any day on the boat is better than not being on the water.

kimberlite 08-29-2002 08:14 PM

center cockpits

there are a number of different models of amels that are all center cockpits.
you might look for a good used one.
fair winds,
eric