Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2002

Charbonneau is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

Uri.

We''ve now sailed over 11,000 miles with our two Golden Retrievers, Max & Bailey, and couldn''t be happier about our decision to bring them along. We know it''s all been worthwhile when we see the pain in the eyes of other cruiser''s who''ve left their dogs behind as they stop by for their ''fur fix.''

If you''re contemplating a life of cruising with your dog, perhaps our experiences can help you. We''ve documented all our travels and experiences with our dogs on our website at http://www.SailCharbonneau.com. Whether preparing yourselves, your boat, or your pets, we hope this information will help. We also maintain a complete list of the pet-friendly anchorages we''ve found in our travels.

And, no -- we''re not trying to sell anything :-) We, like you, went looking for information on sailing with our dogs and found very little to work with. This is just our contribution to the cruising community -- especially those with dogs.

Enjoy your cruise -- and take Fido along for the ride.

Blaine, Janet, Max & Bailey Parks

http://www.SailCharbonneau.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2002

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dogs on boats.

My neighbor has a thirteen year old lab, who couldn''t even consider climbing five steps of the companionway ladder on their westsail 32. His solution was a set of three or four longer steps that clamp onto the existing ladder. Now the dog can come and go as she pleases and the steps can be removed, returning the boat to normal when necessary.
Old 07-24-2002

sroth is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

Thanks for the information...do you know what kind of wood and type of hardware he used?
Old 07-27-2002

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dogs on boats.

I believe it is made out of plywood (sealed somehow) and covered with carpet. A regular C-clamp holds the top step in place with it''s corresponding companionway step.
Old 07-31-2002

kwcrowe is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

We have an 80 lb Golden Retriever on board. I enlisted my father-in-law''s help to come up with a way for him to get below. We have a very steep 5 ft. companionway step. He constructed a lightweight ''step'' which slides onto the top step. It angles off towards our port setee. This step has two pegs. Next he took half a lightweight door, cut it in half length-wise and put carpeting on it, and drilled two matching holes that slid onto the pegs. The bottom of the door, ''ramp'' rests on the port settee, the top rests on the top step and Whoopie, Chaucer gets to walk/slide down to the settee, and easily climb back out to the cockpit. The door slide actually lives against the port settee behind our calves if we are sitting. No one even notices it is there. We stow the top step attachment under the nav station. We set this up when it''s time for Chaucer to come below, or to go back on deck, usually twice a day. But it is so easy and Chaucer loves to show it off.
Old 10-22-2002

DanAnn is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

This may sound odd, but consider a Bichon Frise.They are smallish(about a foot high, up to 18lbs.)Are companion dogs, love kids and other animals,are hypo-allergenic,and hardly shed at all dispite a curlyish double coat. We have 5! And our youngest kids are 9 and 11. The small size and fact they don''t drool or shed makes life MUCH easier! They can be hard to find, but we raise them so just send a request if you go with one of these.
Old 11-10-2002

svheartsdesire is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

We have two small breed dogs shitzu and
yorkie, they can swim but don''t like to.
We live on a 44 Cartwright. They were
senior citizens when we moved aboard. The
advantage of small dogs is that you can
throw a rug on the bow and teach them to do
their business there. I''ve watched a lot of
people having to take their dink to shore
with their big guys. Looks like no fun to me. Buy small. They are a joy.
Old 11-13-2002

Jade Sky is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

Hello,

We don''t "live aboard" but spend a great deal of time both at the dock and sailing. Our fur child "Jade" is a 70lb Bouvier. She''s been on our sailboat since we adopted her at 8 weeks now shes 4 1/2. Bouvier''s are amazing dogs in that they are very agile, good see legs, mellow or energetic depending on our moods. She snorkels behind us with her own doggie PFD. This PFD is critical also if she were to fall over. There is no way we could lift her from the water to the deck without the handles. Bouv''s sink like a stone otherwise because their hair absorbs like a sponge. Bouv''s don''t shed are also hypo-allergic if that''s the right word. I''m deathly allergic to most animals. However, THEY DO NEED TO BE GROOMED. If I were to choose another dog other than a Bouvier it would probably be a Portugese Water Dog. Very similar.

I have yet to teach her to "do her thing" on the boat. She still holds it til we get to shore.

I can''t imagine not taking her with us when we leave for our long term cruise. But, sometimes I worry that we will be too prohibited because we have her. Such as day trips where the mode of travel is not dog friendly. Those of you cruising with dogs have you found this to be an issue?

Once again, this is just another aspect of life aboard to find solutions to.

Have fun!

Pamela

Old 02-19-2003

Spunky247 is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

We have recently bought a Hunter 35.5 and will begin sailing early summer with our 12 year old Cocker Spaniel. She has no idea of what she is in for!! I know that a doggie PFD is a must; does anyone have a recommendation of type?
Also, please submit more info on potty breaks and training the dog to use a mat. At 12, is she too old to learn to use the mat or hold it for 12 hours?? Does the mat get tied down somehow so she can use it whenever she needs to? Do you again tie it down to drag it behind the boat to clean? How? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2003

Sailorwoman is on a distinguished road
Dogs on boats.

Would like to know about potty training? Where does the doggy go when you''re out to sea??? Can they be trained to "point it off the side"? Tongue-in-cheek, but this is a serious question from my dog!!