Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Clanging halyards are marina music to me. I'm a heavy sleeper and few things bother me once I hit the sack, but I can understand how it would bother some people.
Usually the offending boats are the ones that are used the least, i.e., absentee owners.
Just shock cord 'em.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Although I always secure mine and always wonder why some others dont, the noise they make on a calm or normal night doesn't bother me too much but when the wind starts blowing and you get that - PANG PANG PANG PANG PANG about 4 times a second....well then it gets reallllll annoying.
Old 05-28-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
To me, it is more like:
PWANG PWANG PWANG PWANG PWANG PWANG!!!
Old 05-29-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
It all depends. Do you know the person? Would they take offense? Is it real bad? Are they never around? Will the marina staff get involved?
I am amused at the idea of letting it go to the top of the mast!!
Old 05-29-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Why waste a bungee cord - any piece of small stuff will do to pull his halyard over to a stay and tie it off (you are sailors, surely you have some small stuff on board for knot practice, odds and ends etc). Put a camel hitch on it so the owner KNOWS it is there next time he "tries" to raise his main .
Actually, a anon note stuck (or engraved) on his hatchboards is appropriate.

I lost a main sail when a good samartian lassoed a reef line on it to the stainless steel mid deck/underboom handrail on my Hunter31 because it 'looked untidy hanging out of my sail cover' - next time out I didn't notice it was tied and winched up the main. It got a little tight, then ripped the sail with a nice awarthship 5 foot tear (I'd had my wheaties that morning).

The Admiral has a hard time getting to sleep so we routinely tie ours off and even lower all the various burgees, fun flags and such so that nothing is flapping in the wind at all.
Me, I drop off to sleep 30 seconds after I put head down even inside a jet engine intake it wouldn't matter.
Old 05-29-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that there is a friendly feud going on between sailboats and powerboats. One of the biggest complaints powerboat owners have is the "wind-chime" effect of banging halyards. But, they (power-boaters) don't think twice when they speed through a marina and "test" every-one's dock lines. (This is obviously another annoyance...)

One marina I heard about charged a $5,000 fine if your boat made excessive noise due to halyards. That marina was completely silent, even on the windiest of days.

Not long after I bought my boat, I learned to get all the lines away from the mast and leave them slightly loose. My reason for doing so had nothing to do with the noise. Halyards, particularly if they are cable to line spliced, will destroy the finish on a mast and start the corrosion process. I know this because I'm almost complete with a mast refurbishment and P/O had lines attached to spinnaker ring (three jib halyards, one spinnaker halyard, and one topping lift...50-feet worth of wind-chime!). There are several boats near mine that show mast wear due to halyards...yep, right through the anodizing.

I'm not advocating boarding another boat at any time. However, if you are the type that would; one way to look at it is you're saving a boat from further damage.

I think the best thing to do is a little direction (in a friendly concerned way); not to eliminate the noise, but to save the owners of the noisy boats from having to replace their halyards and having their masts refinished.

Now, if I could figure out an angle on stopping the wakes from the power-boaters, I'd be set!

LOL
Old 05-29-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Nice post J36, rational and well balanced (among us sailboaters that is (g).

We were friendly with everyone on our dock, always offering a helping hand to whoever needed one - sailors and powerboaters alike, especially when docking. These gestures are typically contagious, resulting in a universally friendly attitude with most everyone.

Our neighbors who knew we spent most nights sleeping onboard and were aware of marina regs, invited us to go aboard to secure rigging if it proved to be noisy - typically thanking us upon returning the bungee cords afterwards.

There are always the loners though, who appear to isolate themselves from others, avoiding dock gatherings and rarely stopping for conversation. I've found that aside from transients and the occasional ill-secured halyard, these are typically the most frequent violators of clanging halyards. It's indicative of a lack of common courtesy to others as well as a blantant display of ignorance to spar damage.
Old 05-29-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
I guess I should have thrown some figures out. This is for a 50-foot aluminum mast...

Mast unstepping...$225.00
Corrosion treatment chemicals...$50.00
Paint...$700.00
Re-stepping mast...$225.00
Rigger to tune mast...$600.00
Boatyard space rental...$150.00

One jib halyard...$250.00

Total amount to correct the damage one halyard banging against the mast can do...$2,200.00 + over 80 hours worth of labor

A quiet marina...priceless!
Old 05-29-2008

BenthosCritter is on a distinguished road
I have no qualms about moving someones halyard off their mast. Instead of using a bungee, I whip the halyard out around the other side of the spreader to get it off the mast. The owner usually gets the idea after that.

Seriously, what is ruder? Leaving your halyard to slap so everyone is forced to listen to it or someone stepping on your boat to correct the rudeness?

Last edited by BenthosCritter; 05-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2008
Wharf Rat

bob chaisson is an unknown quantity at this point
At our marina the staff addresses noisy halyards if you fail to. The rate is $85 an hour, one hour minimum. Noise is rarely a problem.