Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008

apkaplan is on a distinguished road
banging halyards

What's the protocol for dealing with noisy banging halyards when trying to sleep. Many people leave their halyards and others lines to flap in the wind. To be fair many are unaware of the noise.

Unauthorized bungee cord applications seems inappropriate, but then listening to a clanging halyard all night long kind of takes away from the tranquil lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A knife would be inappropriate too...

One morning, at a very quiet anchorage, we saw that one of the boats had been boarded and the boarders had taken the fenders which had been on the deck and cockpits and stuffed them between the halyards and the mast... stopped the noise... not sure why the people on the boat didn't wake up when they did this...I know I would have if someone came aboard my boat at night.

If you're anchored, out... nicely ask the people aboard the boat to do something. If you're at your home marina, leave a note or talk to the people who own the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Some will go and move other's halyards for them. I have problem with this, as I do not want anyone on my boat without explicit permission (of course, my halyards aren't banging). The best course is to mention it when you see them and show them how to run their halyards away from their masts. As an alternative, speak to the harbor master.

Old 05-27-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Although sorely tempted to cut their lines, I normally tresspass on the offender's boat, detach the halyards from the sail and attach it to the lifelines. Personally I care very little for protocol when I cannot sleep, but I do not intend to run out of bungee cords by leaving them on another boat! If it is the same boat frequently, he will learn sooner or later

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 05-27-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
slept on my boat for a couple of days 2 wks ago

it was blowing pretty hard those days(and nights).
try as i might, it is hard to get past the etiquette aspect alone. you secure your halyards for safety and to maintain calm in the marina. period. i think some is ignorance, yet, if the owner is an "all about me" type, it really doesn't matter.
not that i would ever suggest boarding another's vessel (and letting the shackle go to the masthead ), but mention it to the yard guys..ask them to secure the offensive halyards.
then at night, all you hear is the tranquility of the water.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII

Last edited by sanctuarysam; 05-28-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-27-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our last marina has a policy prohibiting noisy rigging. The marina manager gave anybody who may be annoyed by this, the rights to use any non-destructive methods necessary for stopping banging rigging noise.

I always kept a supply of cheap bungees onboard specifically for this purpose. It amazes me that some people choose to wrap their halyards under the sailcover, instead of clipping them to a rail or dorade guard, like most courteous boat owners.
Old 05-27-2008

eolon is on a distinguished road
Of course, this isn't a problem if your masts are made out of trees.

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Old 05-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB—

A bit OT...but if you get another boat, will you be able to get a slip at your marina for it, or are you waitlisted again??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I've been given cart-blanche by my friend, the marina manager, to have first refusal on any slip we may desire . . . within reason of course.

We had leased a slip there for almost 14 years, it's the least they can do when we decide to return. We're actually enjoying the sabbatical off from boat ownership - doing lots of things we ignored when the boat took precedence.
Old 05-27-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
I have a liveaboard in the slip beside my boat. I am pretty sure his boat is in an unsailable condition... yet he lets his halyard slap all the time. I wonder if he enjoys the sound it makes. He has not moved his boat in the year I have had mine there, so I am not sure why he has not moved his halyard from his mast.

If its a calm night, I leave my halyard attached when I am at anchor. If they halyard starts making a bunch of noise, then I know that the wind has picked up enough to go check on it. If its bad enough, I sleep in the cockpit, and move the halyard.

The sound of an occasional halyard slap to me though is a part of the sound of a marina... and I find it soothing... in a calm afternoon.