Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008

cpa2 is on a distinguished road
winter live aboard in Maine

Is it an option or is it just too cold? I have lived aboard (happily)for 4/5 years in RI. I'm transfering into a new school and would like to stay out of the dorms because i am 32.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Definitely possible. Many people live aboard their sailboats through the winter in the greater Portland area and I'm sure along the rest of the coast, too. Most people protect their boat with some kind of cover and don't seem to do any winter sailing, although their are some hearty souls I see out there occasionally.

There are Maine winter liveaboards that participate on this forum, I'll sure they'll chime in eventually. What school are you going to?

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 06-03-2008

kaholee is on a distinguished road
I'm sitting in Rockland on a mooring and it's not bad right now. I use my propane heater to take the chill off in the morning, but I'd suspect it would become an issue when it is really cold. If you were in a slip and could use an electric heater or have easy access to propane I would think it was do-able. Even though the season is really short compared to more southernly latitudes, Maine is a great place to cruise and I would think you would enjoy it greatly. Get a copy of A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast, it's a great resource for any boat owner in or contemplating a visit to Maine.
Triton #158
Old 06-13-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
hi, CPA2

Yes, it is doable! I lived through last Maine winter in Portland, Maine.
There are certain precautions to be considered, but I was comfortable enough.
Clear shrink wrap helps with condensation, keeps the boat warm during the day.
Diesel heater seems the way to go for most people, but I was able to survive with electric oil radiator. I live on a 30' boat.
The best part is the die hard neighbours...
Old 07-12-2008

svbillabong is on a distinguished road
I know this thread is about living aboard in Maine, but you mention you lived aboard in RI for 4/5 years ... was this year-round? Where in RI? Any pros/cons that you feel are worthy of mentioning? My situation is that my partner and I are closing in on the end of our cruise ... we departed from So Cal in 2003 and are currently in Turkey. We have put the boat on the market in the Med, but if she doesn't sell they we will sail her back to the States, returning to MA or RI area. We would like to live aboard, but I just assumed that it was too cold (I'm from AZ originally).

Re Maine, Chris' step-father lives in Peaks Island off of Portland Maine, and we've seen boats there that are living year round in Portland Harbor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris Myles + KT Roddick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by svbillabong; 07-12-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2011

sep2x is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone! I see that this thread is an old one but I wanted to bump it with a link to a new website I am starting, forums, Maine Liveaboards Home! Please check it out and if you have any suggestions for me, send 'em along! I have no idea how to build websites but I'm learning. I do know a lot about living aboard my boat, but also still learning on that front! I hope to post updates throughout the winter and give tips on things we found that worked well for us (about condensation, heating, groceries, pets aboard, etc etc). Hope you check it out!

~Sophi
Old 10-26-2011

sep2x is on a distinguished road
He is! He is living at the same marina I am. I have sent him a message with a link as well, and hopefully when I see him next in person I can bounce some ideas around with him. Thanks! (I think he's much better at web-design than I am, so I could use his help! haha)