Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Ya know it gets 20+ below zero here in the winter. Brrrrrrrrr! Oh yea and the water freezes, that might be a problem. If you are just wanting to liveaboard during the sailing season Monroe Harbor is your best bet and most affordable, I know cans are available. You will be on a mooring can, but they have a good tender service pizza delivery A Binkys liquor store that will deliver to the marina. You will defiantly want a dinghy, so you don't have to depend on the tender service to get you ashore as well as a good battery charging system. If I didn't have 2 dogs I would liveaboard in the summer I work about 2 blocks away. Chicago Harbors - Westrec Marinas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
Thanks again everyone. The farther from the city the better It is nice to know there are year round liveaboard marinas there. I live by lake erie in PA right now. All boats have to be out of the water by October.
Old 08-28-2008
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
just our of curiosity, how much does it cost a month to moor on a can in chicago. Sounds like a really fun summer.
Old 08-28-2008

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Year Round Liveaboard?

Gypsy
in your last post, you specify "year round". None of the marinas I am aware of in IL are year-round. NorthPoint is April - Oct, sometimes Nov. City of Chicago I believe open May 1.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 06-23-2013

tejo is on a distinguished road
Re: Chicago liveaboards

Are you still based at Hammond? Just starting a similar search for liveaboard near Chicago!
Old 03-13-2014

luhtag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejo View Post
Are you still based at Hammond? Just starting a similar search for liveaboard near Chicago!
I lived aboard for a few years in various Great Lakes ports. My advice would be to pull the boat right before the freeze and live on the hard. Bubblers and stuff are great but with a lengthy cold snap they can be rendered useless. Not to mention if heat fails while you're at work you can obviously have problems. At a minus -10 degrees you'll have about an hour before water lines start bursting. I know from experience.

Marinas won't have a policy for living on stilts (or for allowing it) but if you charm a marina manager he/she will likely let it happen.

I'd winterize the boat. Shrink wrap it. And hang weighted tarps from the toe rails to minimize wind sheer against the hull. Makes it much easier to heat. Have your drinking water and stuff aboard but shower in the marina building. One year I got a YMCA membership just so I could shower and I ended up losing pounds since I started working out and swimming. Not bad for a few bucks a month.

Around Chicago there are lots of commercial yards that just might entertain your prospects. But if it's anywhere near where there is tug traffic you'll get crushed. Areas that haven't froze in 25 years got sealed over this year. Any commercial boats running in ice will have no concern for The plastic boat over in the corner. Ice compression is a concern.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2014

jzk is on a distinguished road

Chicago is very much into sailing. Check out 31st street and DuSable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
thanks for your replies,

My hushband may transfer jobs to Mundelein IL. Same company he works for now but new location. I think it is about 25 miles northwest of chicago. So any liveaboard marinas within driving distance to Mudelein would be good. Friendly is nice
To bad to hear chicago is not so into sailing as much as it is the city life. I was looking at north point marina in winthrop harbor. Not sure about the liveaboard cituation there.