Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008
moonshadow

wesjustice is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb wind generator

I am purchasing a kiss wind generator and need to know what else I will be needing. charge controller,m fuse swich, stop, switch . can anyone recomend a certain type or brand to use?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on the size. For fuses up to 80 amps, I like the maxi fuses. For higher loads, you're probably going to want a Mega Fuse fixture, which is good up to 300 amps.

The Maxi-Fuse looks like a large ATC/ATO fuse.

The Mega Fuse holder looks like this:

As for the charge controller, it depends on the size of the wind generator. Some installations I've seen use the FlexCharge NC25a, which is good up to 25 amps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-29-2008
Charter Captain

Location: Buffalo, NY (warm months), Liveaboard in Caribbean (cold months)
harryrezz is on a distinguished road
I assume you're buying the KISS new.
I've had mine since '04 and I love it. It comes supplied with everything you'll really need. They supply a control box with the stop switch. It simply reverses the polarity and will stop the blades in up to about 25 kt winds. Over that just use your boat hook and CAREFULLY catch the control cord at the rear of the unit (clearly explained in the directions) and turn it around 'till it stops, then tie it down with the loop which you'll have in place (also in the directions). Mine is directly hooked to my bank of 4, 6-volt house batteries. I simply monitor the charge level, and it it is in danger of going too high I shut down the KISS - simple! No need fo a controller at all. In fact, they do NOT recommend one! I'm in the southern Caribbean, and during the winter months the wind is almost always at 20 kt+ and I've never had an overcharging problem ... and that's with two 80 watt solar panels hooked in, too (they ARE on a controller).
You will love the KISS - provided you are in an area with enough wind.
BTW, make sure the mounting pole is VERY strong and well braced, and put a thick rubber pad between it and the deck to dampen noise.

Located Southern Caribbean
Old 09-29-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Capt. Harry is spot on.......

Doug Billings (the designer) strongly advises against using a controller. I used my KISS for 5 years and it performed as advertised. I loved it. Unless Doug has redone his manual (three or four photocopied pages) it can be a little confusing, read it over again and it eventually makes sense. Great product.

Old 09-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think you will be fine with wet cells and a KISS...I would not be so sure about AGM's. I'm not convinced with his argument...particularly if you are going to be hooking up solar panels as well. If it is sunny and the wind is blowing, you could surely cook some battery juice!

BTW...I think the KISS is a good choice...lots of folks happy with them that I know.
Old 10-02-2008

Splashme is on a distinguished road
You might want to talk to John at Hotwire Enterprises. They are the importer for the Kiss, he knows his stuff will give you the straight poop. Weather you need a controller depends on a lot of variables, like the size of batteries, power usage, amount of wind, and additional PV sources.

I've had my KISS for ten years. Very good machine.
Old 01-03-2009
whatoo

whatoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to whatoo
if the motor/generator burns up, can you get the replacement at an auto parts store, also berings.. I've been told, all parts,less the blades and housing, can be purchased at the auto parts store? Is this accurate? Thank you.

Last edited by whatoo; 01-03-2009 at 03:15 AM.