What do you mean the funding question has been beaten to death? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008

SailorAmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailorAmy Send a message via Yahoo to SailorAmy Send a message via Skype™ to SailorAmy
Wink What do you mean the funding question has been beaten to death?

Actually I was wondering if anyone is or knows of cruisers finding odd jobs in the Caribbean to fund their sailing? I do bookkeeping, sandblasting, painting etc. (I'm very versatile!) and was thinking of taking a course in electronic repair.

My boyfriend is magical with engines, has a Mech Eng Tech background and can fix ANYTHING (well, 'cept for the lottery).

Could we seriously consider bumming around the southern seas picking up work here and there????

Amy
S/V Rafiki
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
We recently watched a Lin and Larry Pardie video and came away fans. I think it was "Get Ready to Cruise." They truly know how to live on a shoestring and are minimalists when it comes to sailing. I came away a fan. They aren't there to party or have the comforts of home; they are there to see the world and sail. They didn't even have an engine.

So, with his talents and others I think you can do it if you live the way the Pardeys suggest. Of course, I'm a wannabe as far as that goes

(note: The Pardeys may be filthy rich now with all the books and videos, but they deserve it if they are. )
Old 08-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can certainly pick up a little off the books work if you have good skills like your boyfriend but most islands make it quite difficult to do any work if you are a foreigner. One alternative is to find work in the US territories when you need to work...Puerto Rico & The US Virgin Islands are the best chance I think and you will need to live quite frugally.
Old 08-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

She might have problems in the USVI and Puerto Rico, since she isn't an American, and may have visa issues in the USA... she's probably Canadian, since she's posting from Ontario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-12-2008

SailorAmy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailorAmy Send a message via Yahoo to SailorAmy Send a message via Skype™ to SailorAmy
That's right! I'M A CANADIAN!

Which means I can eat more donuts and drink more beer than you Yankees!

Just can't do both at the same time!

As far as living in the lap of luxury, we are both X-backpackers and we fish....cook our own meals...and won't leave until we have all the (what we feel are) necessities. ie water maker and solar/wind power gen. etc. I hate marinas and yacht clubs ***no offense to anyone*** I can't stand being tied to a dock!

I love to live in a minimalist style, the ability to be self reliant (within reason). Back in the backpacking days I would be out for up to 2 weeks alone w/ the dog. No ice makers or air conditioning here! All I need is some good spirits and food in my belly!

Another reason why I would like to work at some cash jobs is to meet different people...hang-out with the locals...you know...the ones that aren't on the megayachts.

Amy
Old 08-12-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I don't understand.......
What's wrong with donuts and beer?
Old 08-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ooops missed that....you'll have to find work in the Canadian islands instead!
Old 08-12-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
can canucks work in the british colonies, like the BVI's?
Old 08-13-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorAmy View Post
Another reason why I would like to work at some cash jobs is to meet different people...hang-out with the locals...you know...the ones that aren't on the megayachts.
Actually my experience has been that the folks on megayachts are often really approachable and sometimes a lot of fun.

Also in my experience, skills are often easier traded than sold. I'll fix your engine if you'll stitch my genoa. I'll get your fridge working if you'll dive and give my hull a quick clean. If I can't fix your fridge, I'll get your beers cold in my fridge for some of those crayfish you caught . And so on.

Andre
Old 08-13-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Working in the caribbean

My experience is it's fairly easy for a Canadian to find employment in any English Protectorate. There are a lot of Canadian companies in Cuba that I know of as well. So as far as the Bahamas, Turks and Cacios Islands BVI, Granada and others you are lucky. Americans are welcome until the money runs out I'm afraid.