Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
For us its the extras that we work from that we find the hardest to store.
As many know, we moved aboard 5 years ago and havent looked back, but to keep us on the water, we work, at least part time. we really dont have to but its something we injoy and it brings us in contact with others on the water and in the areas we visit.
So the start with, its our Photography, camaras, printer, and tower for edit and supplies to sell our wears at local markets and shows..
Next its the watermaker supplies as I'm a roving dealer for Spectra Watermakers where we sell and service the units, and I uasally carry enough to build or re-build a unit on-board..
Then we've got our canvas repair.. and the 4 sewing machines. which brings in enough that our savings is growing rappidly, but when ordering and we've got 4 to 5 boats ahead to work on, we're thinking about the cost of shipping and buying in bulk.. where you know where I'm going, as at the present, we have on-board three different rolls with over 40 yards of sunbrella on each, all to use over the next month..
And then our books as we both love to read so our library is growing by the month.....
We've turned the quarter berth into a pantry and storage, and the forward head is now storage, and my nav-station is a mess, and sometimes its overwhelming................
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
What I find is it isn't the room to put everything, it is the hassle of getting them out all the time. For example, for those storage areas like under the settee, I hate having to take out the cushions all the time to get to things put them back on and when I am done with said item do the process all over again.
Also no matter how many lists I make of where things are, I still cannot find things when I need them without tearing the boat apart nor remember what I really have on the boat especially small items for maintenance.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-06-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
What I find is it isn't the room to put everything, it is the hassle of getting them out all the time. For example, for those storage areas like under the settee, I hate having to take out the cushions all the time to get to things put them back on and when I am done with said item do the process all over again.
Also no matter how many lists I make of where things are, I still cannot find things when I need them without tearing the boat apart nor remember what I really have on the boat especially small items for maintenance.
I know what you mean, I don't live aboard but growing up I remember spending weeks at a time living on my Dad's 25' cabin cruiser and we constantly had to lift the cushions of the v-berth or the dinette to get to something. I think it's just a fact of life that storage on boats is a premium and in order to fit as much on board as possible you have to utilize what space you have. If it's not enough then I think you either have to cut down on stuff or upsize the boat.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-07-2008

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
My wife, myself and our two teenagers lived aboard for many years (I still do). If any of us wanted say a new pair of shoes we tossed out the pair we replaced whether they were worn or not. This unspoken rule applied to anything we brought on board. In this way we never became buried in stuff, were able to quickly stow what we had, and were always ready for sailing within 30 or 40 minutes. To encourage us to sail even more we often took sail covers off Friday evenings and left them off all weekend. That way, if the urge grabbed us to toss off the dock lines, we had less to get done.
Many livaboards never leave the dock because after looking at the two hours it would take to ready their boat for sailing they quickly talk themselves into doing something else for the day.

Our unspoken rule of replacing the old with the new saved much space but we did have a problem with storage of winter and summer clothes for four people. I wound up buying an old van that we left in the parking lot and used it as a closet. Secretly I always hoped it would be stolen.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

Old 10-15-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We raised two children aboard from infancy to adulthood. They were difficult to store, but we adapted. The biggest challenge has been my wife's three accordians. I talked her down to one favorite, but it still sits in it's case on our galley floor. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Lots of small cubby holes to stuff things in...that fit. But big things are a real problem, bigger than a breadbox is difficult.
Old 10-23-2008

ardoin is on a distinguished road
If you find that you are having to get to things behind the settee all the time, then find a drawer that you haven't opened in a few days and swap the contents. Chances are you put things where they made since to be stored without considering how often you would need them. Now you just have to adjust that to reduce the frustration of pulling the settee apart of digging into the bottom of a locker.

The biggest problem I have with storage, and one that slows me down in storing everything is, Finding it when needed! I have not manage to label all the storage areas in the aft half of the boat and I'm building an inventory of what is stored where, and when it was stored there (since some things don't last forever). I find this is beginning to work for me, but it has not been easy getting the inventory project off the ground.

Next biggest problem is storing large items (spare sails and dink). Will work on that once the inventory is complete and the storage shed emptied... but always looking for helpful suggestions.

Old 11-25-2008
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
the freaking dingy....I hung the outboard in a closet in the head....towed the dingy from Mass. to Cobb Island MD....no suitable room on deck....no place on the stern for davits....I considered pushing it , but towing it seemed to make better sense
Old 11-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Does this mean you'd consier a smaller boat? Didn't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
When we first moved aboard in November almost 6 years ago (2 people, 1 dog, 1 cat on a 33-foot monohull in the Chesapeake, we GROSSLY overestimated how much space we'd have. Biggest challenges were work clothing, books & papers, and winter clothes. We spent the first winter sleeping in the main salon because the V-berth was crammed with stuff that needed sorting.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-01-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
You mean, because we were able to do without the v-berth that first year? Nah. I will, however, consider giving up the job so as to no longer need to store the dress-up clothes