Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Space - the final frontier?

I just can't help myself - I'm tired of seeing "never" on the list of posts for this great subforum! So I guess I'll just have to start a thread to get the ball rolling...

What category of item has been your biggest challenge in finding space to store? Tools? Books? Spare parts? Beer? It would also help to tell us what size boat you're on and where you sail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2008
Banned

When we first moved aboard in November almost 6 years ago (2 people, 1 dog, 1 cat on a 33-foot monohull in the Chesapeake, we GROSSLY overestimated how much space we'd have. Biggest challenges were work clothing, books & papers, and winter clothes. We spent the first winter sleeping in the main salon because the V-berth was crammed with stuff that needed sorting.
Old 08-23-2008

EBdreamn is on a distinguished road
Go bigger or go without

I am sifting through the data on a half dozen boats that represent an acceptable compromise between blue water capability, below deck living space and the fact that I will be single handing. Camraderie suggested a few boats to me and I really liked the Passport 40.....Still considering the Valiant 40 and the Tartan 37. Being that it will be berthed in Erie PA most summers, I will have to be able to be below deck quite a bit given the rain that falls here. I look forward to the less is more lifestyle on board...I just hope I won't miss the big screen TV and the Kegerator.
Old 08-24-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I would keep the Kegerator, imoho
Old 08-24-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A lot depends on whether you're actively cruising or not. Things like food, spares, and for me, linens, become the things that need the most space.
I'm fortunate in only having one person on board. I use the V-berth for storage, utilizing large plastic containers, for clothes, food susceptible to moisture, and electronic gadgets.

As a coastal cruiser, it isn't really that necessary to have a lot of spares or food on board. But, I do have room, should I head out to where resupply is not as easy or is more costly.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Three teenage girls make-up...
Old 08-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Dishware, pots and pans etc. We don't live on board, but rather than keep lugging everything to the boat every other weekend we keep it fully stocked up with everything we need for a 3-4 day weekend (including canned and vacuum packed food).

What takes up the most room though is the water toys, 2 kayaks, two floats, 4 folding chairs, a folding table for the cockpit etc.. Absolutely fills the starboard aft cabin. Port aft I load up with food and beverages at the beginning of the season and let it slowly empty itself out.
Old 08-26-2008
Banned

John - re linens - we roll the blankets and other spares for guests into a bolster covered with our same upholstery fabric as the rest of the cushions and use it as an extra cushion in the main salon. When company comes it gets put on the bed and the cover folds down to nothing. I've read of people doing the same thing with their winter coats off season - turn 'em into pillows.

Chuckles - I think it was CruisingDad who convinced me to buy a set of nesting pots at the boat show last year, they are MAGIC for storage! Our particular set contains 4 pots, lids, removable handles, and plastic covers so the pots double as storage/mixing bowls. and a skillet. The whole set coincidentally fits inside our pressure cooker and has a total footprint of about 1 square foot in the locker. Not cheap but paid for itself with compactness.
Old 08-26-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Oh, I've got room for 'em, just not enough of 'em

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-09-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Like we can actually read that.