Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Hey, another liveaboard Erica on this thread, how cool is that?

Shipps, a lot of bases will also have facilities for rec sailboats that are vastly cheaper than their civilian counterparts, check on that possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Without getting into your financial condition, a boat is a VERY poor investment that can only be made worse by having the boat financed. We're living in some rather harrowing times (as if we didn't know), and having a boat loan to pay off along with all of the expenses noted by others can be a real deal breaker. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-20-2008

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Investment

Ye gads that is the understatement of the century. a boat is a lousy investment. Remember the old joke of the boat owner who had sold his boat? He would take a bucketful of money and toss it into the water where the boat was once docked. Someone asked him what he was doing and he told them "some habits are hard to break". Okay I'm a poor joke teller but you get the drift.

Though I have been able to break even on most of my boats I know that I will never get out what I put in financially.

But... living aboard does not necessarily add to your financial burden. at least it has never for me. It is still only one mortgage (if you finance) and it is better than renting an apartment (zero investment there). And I get to live on a work of art. The movement as she bobbs in her slip, the woodwork, the shear, the tumblehome (spell?), even the creaking of the lines all add up to living in/on a work of art. It may not be a sound financial investment but it is a great sanity and happiness investment for me.

Thanks for letting get up on my soap box!
Erika
Old 09-20-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"When I went through with the broker, he told me just from looking at the boat it would be about 3k and I took that into account when we were negotiating the price.
And the lines do need to be replaced.
I plan on spending alot of money straght off the bat to get it the way I want it."

a) DO NOT USE THE BROKERS ESTIMATE FOR REPAIR DOLLARS
b) do not negotiate a final price UNTIL you have the survey done.
c) I don't know if its too late for this or not in your case, but make the contract based on a "buyers determination of satisfactory survey".
d) DO NOT tell the broker how much moola you've been approved for.

Have not had the survey done yet, they are waiting on the letter from the bank saying that I have been approved.

Spend a few bucks, get the survey done, from an "outside" surveyor. Do not use the brokers, call a couple of different marinas, ask the service dept guys who they'd recommend. THEN go to the bank with survey and final price in hand.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 09-20-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Living aboard can be easy, rewarding and inexpensive. My wife and I moved aboard our sailboat when we were 24 and we are now in our 60's and still living on a sailboat. When raised two children aboard; completed and retired from our careers aboard; and are now fulltime cruising aboard. All we own ashore is a bank account. There is a great freedom in non-ownership!
Old 09-22-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Ye gads that is the understatement of the century. a boat is a lousy investment. Remember the old joke of the boat owner who had sold his boat? He would take a bucketful of money and toss it into the water where the boat was once docked. Someone asked him what he was doing and he told them "some habits are hard to break". Okay I'm a poor joke teller but you get the drift.

Though I have been able to break even on most of my boats I know that I will never get out what I put in financially.

But... living aboard does not necessarily add to your financial burden. at least it has never for me. It is still only one mortgage (if you finance) and it is better than renting an apartment (zero investment there). And I get to live on a work of art. The movement as she bobbs in her slip, the woodwork, the shear, the tumblehome (spell?), even the creaking of the lines all add up to living in/on a work of art. It may not be a sound financial investment but it is a great sanity and happiness investment for me.

Thanks for letting get up on my soap box!
Erika
Nicely stated.

A vacation isn't a wise financial investment, either, but a life dictated solely by the dollar is bound to be a dreadfully boring one! Been living aboard full time for 6 years now. Wish we'd done it sooner.

Financially, it's been a plus for us because we would've had the boat anyway, can't imagine a life without it. So the only extra cost for us is the $80 liveaboard fee our marina charges - and you gotta pay for utilities somewhere! Because we live in a high cost-of-living area, it makes even more financial sense ... and we get to live every day as though we're on vacation.
Old 09-26-2008

sailavee is on a distinguished road
I dont get it

I dont understand. Slips here,(Lake Ontario), are never full. I have a Catalina 22 that I pay $550 a season to dock. I'm considering Bayfield29 to liveaboard. Most of the marinas I've been contacting quote 300-500 a month dockage fees, with many amenities. I realize boats have to be maintained, but where do you get figures of $2000 a month? Trying to scare people away?
Old 09-27-2008
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Owning a sailboppat as an investment is crazy! If you don't own a boat as a love affair with sailing find something else to own. Most people who own boats if you look at what the boat costs them over the life span of the boat it would have been way cheaper to charter. Me, I have no choice; sailing is in my blood and owning and sailing a boat is so easy to comprehend for just a few precious minutes sailing. It eases my spirit.

That said, an on-line friend sent this to me and somehow it seems relevant:

How to Practice Living Aboard Your Boat While Still At Home =============================================
1. Sleep on the shelf in your closet.
2. Replace the closet door with a curtain.
3. Four hours after you go to sleep, have your wife whip open the curtain, shine a flashlight in your eyes, and mumble: "Your watch!".
4. Put a wall across the middle of your bathtub and move the shower head down to chest level.
5. When taking showers, shut off the water while soaping.
6. Put lube oil in your humidifier instead of water and set it to high.
7. If your basement floods, during a sudden thaw, go down and start bailing.
8. Bring inside some type of gas motor (lawn mower, garden tiller, etc), start, and leave running while trying to listen to favorite CD, or having an in-depth conversation.
9. If the wind, outside, is howling, race around the house to make sure all windows and doors are secure. At night, everyone takes a turn on 'watch'.
10. Place all none edible garbage in small plastic bags, and store in other half of tub (edible garbage to be thrown out the window).
11. Wake up at midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread. Cold canned ravioli or soup, is optional.
12. Make up your family menu a week ahead of time without looking in the pantry, 'fridge, or freezer.'
13. Once a month, pick a major appliance, take it completely apart, and put it back together.
14. Use 18 scoops of coffee per pot, and allow it to sit for 5 to 6 hours before drinking.
15. Put a fluorescent light under the coffee table, and lay there to read a book.
16. Every so often, throw the cat in the tub (hot tub, large sink, etc.) and shout, "Man overboard!".
17. Run into the kitchen and sweep all the pots/pans/dishes off of the counter onto the floor, then yell at the wife for not having the place "stowed for sea."
18. With every major windshift, have your alarm go off so you can reset your address.
19. Periodically throw some sand about the house.
21. Cut two legs shorter on each chair.
22. During a squall, wake up - go to the front porch - throw a bucket of cold water in your face - go back to bed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mccary; 09-27-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I would echo George's comments about the marinas. We bought a boat in Honolulu and there was a time limit that you could stay in the transient area of Ala Wai, then we had to move. We got a place at Keehi (which means in Hawaiian "right at the end of the main airport runway"), and there were great people there and facilities, but how do you live with jets taking off 24/7 just barely over the top of the mast? It seemed like the marina situation is very tight throughout the islands so I would get something nailed down asap. Also, the cost to have the yards do anything in Hawaii is unbelievable, about double what it is here in WA, so plan on doing repairs and maint. yourself, which a good idea anyway so you know more about your boat. Living aboard in Hawaii seems like a good way to go, just work out the details so you don't have too many surprises. By the way, I can recommend a great surveyor, Dennis Smith in Honolulu, all the brokers hate him because he is too "nitpicky".

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-01-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

Here a slip MIN is $3300 in Greenport and $5000 in Northport (summer ONLY)and there NOT real happy with the live abourd deal

So it goes without saying prices vary a bit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.