Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Southern California Marina

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of a good marina in Southern Cal for a 40ft sail boat for 2-3 months at a time. I looked at thelog dot com and quite a few are listed with availability but we would like some specific opinions.

In addition we are looking for something quiet without being filled with weekend partyers...more family or liveaboard oriented, close to major center (airport within reasonable taxi ride). We would like a marina that has a small park or area to walk pets/children, clean washroom with an reasonable priced restaurant pub and of course wireless. TV connection and phone would be an asset.

We are hoping for 10-12 a foot but would consider higher depending on offerings (ie value)

We looked at Chula Vista but they dont post rates and it sounds like this may be out of our range plus something a little smaller may be preferred....

ANY suggestions would be helpful good or bad to help with our search....

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008

fordke is on a distinguished road
Sab30

Check with Channel Islands Marina at Channel Islands Harbor.* They have recently put in a large number of new large slips that are sitting vacant.* You may be able to work a deal with them.* Channel Islands Harbor is in the city of Oxnard, in Ventura County, about 180 miles north of the Chula Vista area that you mentioned. There is a small regional airport nearby that you can use to get flights out of LAX. Here is a link to the Channel Islands Harbor Marinas channelislandsharbor.org/Dry.cfm]Ken
Old 09-29-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
California Yacht Marina - Chula Vista
https://secure.thelog.com/special/sp...iew.asp?c=7005
I don't know if these webpages are helpful or not. The best way to find out about the marinas there is to go and ask boat owners. I know this sounds obvious, but things change quickly. For a short-term lease, you'll pay more of course.
There is a marina right downtown behind the convention center that would be ideal, but I can imagine it costs a small fortune.

Last edited by thesnort; 09-29-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnort View Post
California Yacht Marina - Chula Vista
https://secure.thelog.com/special/sp...iew.asp?c=7005
I don't know if these webpages are helpful or not. The best way to find out about the marinas there is to go and ask boat owners. I know this sounds obvious, but things change quickly. For a short-term lease, you'll pay more of course.
There is a marina right downtown behind the convention center that would be ideal, but I can imagine it costs a small fortune.

I agree that makes more sense but we live roughly 2000 miles away so we are trying to narrow it down to about 5 recommeneded marinas that have availability and meet our parameters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 09-29-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Check out Dana Point Marina. It's kinda quaint but they can accommodate boats that size. Not sure about transient slips though. My dad had his boat moored there for years. Really nice place.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 09-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgreenman View Post
Check out Dana Point Marina. It's kinda quaint but they can accommodate boats that size. Not sure about transient slips though. My dad had his boat moored there for years. Really nice place.
Thanks CK,

I did check that as well as Channel Island (previous poster) both VERY nice but I think both are a little larger than we wanted....and at $20+ a foot/month (if my math is correct) is a little over our budget. We will probably have to find something a little further away from the urban centres or with a few less amenities

cheers

Sab30
Old 09-29-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Oops sorry I missed the initial cost per foot figure you posted. Yes they are a bit pricey but I have a feeling you're gonna find that in most So Cal Marinas. I CAN attest to the facilities though. They are clean, and well equipped. There are service buildings for every 2 to 3 docks. It is (or was when I was there) very quiet and calm.

Hope this helps.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 09-29-2008

cabron99 is on a distinguished road
Check out Ventura Isle Marina. We pay about ten bucks a foot. Doesn't have ultra facilities, but very clean, quiet, and easy in and out.
Old 09-30-2008
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Ventura has three marinas in its harbor, We stayed in the in the one on the south side of the harbor for the winter a few years ago. Believe it's run by "Almar Marinas".. thinking back, it was a pretty resonable price.....
Something else you might check out.. The BaHa-Ha-Ha is due to take off at the end of the month "October" and many slips will be empty for the winter months. If you can sub-lease one in the Ventura Area, It would put you down there to do some searching for yourselves. Santa Barbara is another great marina if you can get in........
Old 09-30-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
SoCal marinas

If you thought Channel Islands Marina was too big and too close to urban areas, I'm afraid you're not going to have much luck. I don't mean to be rude in any way, but Southern California doesn't have many natural harbors, and even the man made marinas are all near urban or suburban areas. They are all pretty big, too. Even in a place like Newport Beach, which has many smaller private marinas, rather than a large municipal one, has a total of something like 10,000 boats. Long Beach has municipal marinas that are reasonably priced, but it is also a major commercial harbor. Keep looking online and asking around, though, and actually visit some locations if you get the chance. SoCal is a big place, San Diego is a long way from, and quite a bit different than Ventura, for example. It is all great year 'round sailing though!