Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009

Kommy000 is on a distinguished road
yea I'm leaning towards the real sailboat. Just saw somebody post 27 Morgan in very good condition for about 7 grand on craigslist. Also local yacht brokers have some nice ones for about 9 grand. So there is plenty of real sailboats around.
Just need to research more on what to do during hurricane or when hurricane hits close to Tampa Bay. Seems like lots of people find safe cove and anchor there. Since I'm new to sailing need to find out the locations of those areas and how it works around tampabay and saint pete clearwater area. I do have full time job and will not have time to sail the boat thousands miles away every time there is a hurricane passing in around tampabay, but at the same time I do not want my boat destroyed in a slip because some other boat banged into it or just because water level went up 6 feet. So thats why trailable boat sounded like a good idea.
The way it looks though... I will be getting a full sailboat and screw the trailer.
So the research continues.
By the way ... if anybody knows where people anchor during those hurricanes passing by Tampa, please let me know.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Best plan is to have the boat hauled out before an approaching storm and secured. Set some $$ aside for this. If you get your insurance from BoatUS, I think they still pay for 1/2 the cost of a named storm haulout as their experience is that dry land is the best place for a boat in a 'cane.
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Very true... but you really need to check your insurance policy's named storm clause, since some will REQUIRE you to be hauled out, others, will require you to be within certain geographic limits during the season... etc. Better to know what is required and do it, than to find out your boat wasn't covered because you didn't read the fine print.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Best plan is to have the boat hauled out before an approaching storm and secured. Set some $$ aside for this. If you get your insurance from BoatUS, I think they still pay for 1/2 the cost of a named storm haulout as their experience is that dry land is the best place for a boat in a 'cane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Better keep checking for used boats. you can buy a 25-30 foot sailboat w/ a working engine for 2-5000 no problem. don't even waste your time w/ brokers unless you just like giving your money away/ they offer no real value they are , in my opinion, similiar to used car salesmen. with the market today you can get a sailboat for almost nothing. and it will cost you more to dock and berth it than you'll spend aquiring it. Unless you buy new your going to want to change things and add stuff anyway once you get aboard.
Just use common sense and don't get caught up in all the hype and mystery. People have been sailing the world in boats since before written history. it's not rocket science.
I fell for the BS for over a decade from people who never left the dock scaring me w/ assumptions about sailing the east coast. I finally just did it and found out it is NOT complicated or difficult . and I could have done it years earlier with boats I already had. It could be done in a sailfish if you pick your weather !
Old 01-15-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Better keep checking for used boats. you can buy a 25-30 foot sailboat w/ a working engine for 2-5000 no problem.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
..... don't even waste your time w/ brokers unless you just like giving your money away/ they offer no real value they are , in my opinion, similiar to used car salesmen.
While some may indeed be "used care salesmen", there's generally no real disadvantage or cost to using selling brokers to look for and check out boats, the seller pays the guy. It is possible that you'll get a better deal if the seller doesn't have to pay the broker - but that's not always the case, esp in today's market with desperate sellers. Going through brokerages will give you more exposure to more boats with less running around....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)