Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're on a mooring or at anchor, a possible good choice is an Aladdin pressurized kerosene lamp. They put out a fair amount of heat and light. However, as a fossil fuel burning unvented lamp, you do need to watch out for Carbon Monoxide build up and have some ventilation for the cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Brrrr! Any ideas for heat on a small 22' boat? I am currently using a kerosene lantern with a pot on top, vented through aluminum flexible ducting out the companionway hatch. It doesn't provide much heat, though. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe one of those mantle kerosene lanterns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Getting chilly here in New Bern. I bought a larger ceramic heater, closed off the vee berth, and use my hatch boards instead of my handy companionway cover. Only thing that really bothers me is my fingers (been frostbitten and get cold easily). Goes below 25 an I'll probably plug in the little heater too.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-15-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I just made a great discovery about fueling these lanterns:

KEROSENE FUEL PRIMER

I know it is an off-label use of the product, but kerosene smells!
Old 01-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Raynaud's phenomenon sucks, so be careful John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Getting chilly here in New Bern. I bought a larger ceramic heater, closed off the vee berth, and use my hatch boards instead of my handy companionway cover. Only thing that really bothers me is my fingers (been frostbitten and get cold easily). Goes below 25 an I'll probably plug in the little heater too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-15-2009

DBboat is on a distinguished road
I use a combination of heaters. I have an oil filled electric that I keep on very low throughout the day. After work I turn it up as well as a little ceramic heater (instant heat). The best thing is the electric mattress warmer to take the edge off the cold bed. I'm hanging in there but still looking forward to summer.

I think the best way to keep warm would be a correction in latitude but I'm not quite there yet!
Old 01-15-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Eryka,
I'm still showing 42deg water temps just across Back Creek from you. When water temps drop to 38deg i'll shut the reverse pump off rather than make ice cubes. So far it is working very well but i wouldn't want to depend on it alone when outside temps drop below 32deg.
Given the falling temps tonight, it looks like i'll be turning the reverse pump off before bed time.
We are also having voltage problems with shore power. Dropping below 100V/AC at times. My reverse pump shuts off when that happens, but two of my neighbors have blow several elec/oil heaters in the last week.
Are you seeing voltage drops on you side? This may be an eastport thing.

Old 01-17-2009

gypsywomen is on a distinguished road
Our reverse heater was so far keeping up here in VA, but today has started to lose ground. Cant get the temp above 65 so we will be adding the electric heater also tonight. I give it up to all you liveaboards in the north.
Old 01-17-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
Eryka,
I'm still showing 42deg water temps just across Back Creek from you. When water temps drop to 38deg i'll shut the reverse pump off rather than make ice cubes. So far it is working very well but i wouldn't want to depend on it alone when outside temps drop below 32deg.
Given the falling temps tonight, it looks like i'll be turning the reverse pump off before bed time.
We are also having voltage problems with shore power. Dropping below 100V/AC at times. My reverse pump shuts off when that happens, but two of my neighbors have blow several elec/oil heaters in the last week.
Are you seeing voltage drops on you side? This may be an eastport thing.
Cy, they're in the process of rebuilding our dock, so we're not in our regular slip. The temporary slip we're in is in a quiet backwater (read, "iced-over"). Haven't noticed any electricity problems here, but we did at the old dock. So rather than an Eastport "thing" could it be dock-specific? The other thing we've noticed since we moved is that our sacrificial zincs are lasting a lot longer ... our old dock was electrically hot!

We pay a flat rate for power, so that may temper our decision, but we'd still rather put wear-and-tear on cheap electric heaters than on our reverse-cycle, which we shut off in November. They can't keep up with the recent cold snap though, we've been running the Webasto 24/7.
Old 01-24-2009

deryk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I just made a great discovery about fueling these lanterns:

KEROSENE FUEL PRIMER

I know it is an off-label use of the product, but kerosene smells!
heh Im here in New Jersey, and wasnt able to come up with the money for a proper heat source and will not pay the high costs for an electric heater. My last boat was a 27 Watkins, and I had a Dickinson NewPort propaine unit..and I was always cold, it just didnt put out enough heat for me. So this year on my Morgan 34 Im useing a 10kw kerosene heater and just leave 1 to 3 portholes open, a carbon monoxide sensor for safety, and a fan on my floor blowing upward to help circulate the heat. Yeah I agree there is a smell, but Ive been averging $15-20 dolars in kero a week and my last electric bill from 11/15 to 01/02 was $51 dollars and I am really warm aboard this year. I wish it was vented, but with the recession they are cutting back at my office so we learn to make do.
Old 01-24-2009

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
When it gets 15 below zero or so ...The cabin temp stays around forty or so !
just layer on the clothes ....and stay away from cotton ,,its just fine !