Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009

Harryeod is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Part of living aboard for me is the social aspect/support of the boat community, you'll miss that experience living behind someones house. But its still way better than living on land! Congrats!
Ditto for me. Unlike on land where you can live years next to a neighbor and never talk to them, most of the liveaboards in the marina came and introduced themselves. Now it is not unusual to find us having a few beers together a couple of times a week. Another added beneifit is that I travel a lot for work and the gang is always keeping an eye on my boat.

The only drawback is when I return and the girlfriend is over "visiting me" and there is a nice and loud "Ahoy" from the pier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My son, the Marine!

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
John Adams
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I've spent some time living aboard at a private dock in Lauderdale. Where are you, Nurmi Ilses off Los Olas or up the New River? If you're in Lauderdale you have pump out at the slip and you're still in a boating community with boating neighbors. As to the $1200/mo being justified; it's not justified by what the marina provides, but by what the market allows on the ICW. Better rates are always available off the tourist track, private docks & up the New River. Ft. Lauderdale is my home town and much is available as it's one of the "boating capitols", but the downside is that for sailing you have the ocean or nothing. No available inland protected bays or lagoons for an afternoon out for a short sail. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I actually live in Fort Lauderdale too. Have a house in Lauderdale Isles. We've been here about 2 years, should have waited to buy our house now and saved 25%

Just a question. Technically, living aboard behind someones house in Fort Lauderdale is illegal, right? I think even renting a slip behind a private residence for boat storage is a gray area, although enforcement tends to be rare unless the boat is a derelict and the neighbors call the city.
Old 01-19-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Although I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale I haven't lived there in a house in decades. I am familiar with many private docks that rent slips quite legally to people living on boats, especially Hendricks Isle, Karen Isle... all those Nurmi Isles off Las Olas. The requirement for living at such a dock is that the boat be permanently hooked to a pump out facility while at the dock. Private docks without such a facility or those in areas with covenants & restrictions would not be available for renting to liveaboards. Google "Fort Lauderdale dock rental" and you'll see many opportunities. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 01-19-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling