SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   No Liveaboard friendly Marinas? Where do you dock? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/50666-no-liveaboard-friendly-marinas-where-do-you-dock.html)

macfhearguis 01-19-2009 07:01 PM

No Liveaboard friendly Marinas? Where do you dock?

So, given this trend toward fewer and fewer liveaboard friendly marinas,
where could one moor/dock/drop anchor other than a marina?

I will assume that many sailors who live on their boats for any extended period of time (i.e. a couple of years+) and are not independently wealthy, do have a job on land somewhere.
Is this a fair assumption?
If not, I would sure love to hear about any viable source of income that can be maintained at sea.
But,
I'm going to continue to assume that most out there probably have held a land based job at some point while they are living on their boats.

So my question is; if there are no Liveaboard friendly marinas in the area of your land-based job (or they are all full, etc.), where do you anchor to sleep?
Where do you keep your boat during days at work?
For you folks with smaller boats that do not have a shower in the WC, where do you bathe?

I'm not particularly interested in hearing the stories of those who saved up for 10+ years for the money to cruise for 2-3 years.
Nor am I interested in hearing the about the monthly budgets of the extremely wealthy.

I'm interested in how regular people, with regular jobs are able to live on their sailboats for years upon end.

Let's hear it!

Thanks to all who respond.

CaptainForce 01-19-2009 08:06 PM

We are retired teachers (obviously moderate incomes) and have been living aboard since 1972. I would not agree that there has been a decrease in liveaboard opportunities, but I know that there have been difficulties in finding a long term liveaboard slip in some areas for decades. I will say that there are a greater number of marinas that have liveaboards, but post a notice that they do not allow liveaboards and will respond to phone inquiries that they do not allow liveaboards. Talk to dock managers in person , better yet present yourself at the dock with your boat in good condition and rent a slip. with the open declaration that you want to spend a lot of time on your boat. Ask if there are restrictions to the length of staying aboard. Walk the docks. Ask other boat owners about the policy and who to talk to. Present yourself as a respectable amiable person. Maybe suggest that you are interested in staying on your boat during the time of your employment. I stayed at one marina that didn't accept liveaboards, but allowed me to stay "during the time of my employment" for 21 years. Marina owners and management don't want to be confronted with "livingaboard" as a problematic issue, but they are likely to accept the payment and presence of responsible boaters who are not going to be a liability to their business. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

PBzeer 01-19-2009 08:22 PM

I've been in very few marina's that don't have some liveaboards in them. I would second the Cap'n's advice.

camaraderie 01-19-2009 08:34 PM

Captain Force is absolutely right. My marina has a number of liveaboards and we will tell ANYONE inquiring that we are not taking any liveaboards. Unless we know you, like you and are certain you will not be a problem and a detriment to the marina and the town...we would not tell you yes. You are better off coming in for a month or two as a transient and proving you are a good guy before asking for an extended stay. Too many druggies, deadbeats and misfits out alone on boats to take the risk. No exaggeration....take the Beez as an example! :D :D :D

sailingdog 01-19-2009 11:05 PM

Just to clarify, PBzeer is a misfit... not a deadbeat or druggie at least AFAIK:D ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by camaraderie (Post 434548)
Captain Force is absolutely right. My marina has a number of liveaboards and we will tell ANYONE inquiring that we are not taking any liveaboards. Unless we know you, like you and are certain you will not be a problem and a detriment to the marina and the town...we would not tell you yes. You are better off coming in for a month or two as a transient and proving you are a good guy before asking for an extended stay. Too many druggies, deadbeats and misfits out alone on boats to take the risk. No exaggeration....take the Beez as an example! :D :D :D

camaraderie 01-19-2009 11:57 PM

Damn Beez...here I was trying to enhance your street cred so the wimmen would be crawling all over the docks looking for the "bad boy" of sailnet and the Dawg goes and blows it.

sailingdog 01-20-2009 06:39 AM

LOL... well...more would be looking for a misfit than a deadbeat... so it may have upped his image a teeny bit. :)

macfhearguis 01-20-2009 11:10 AM

Great info

Thanks Captain.

So what I'm hearing from you guys is that the liveaboard regulations are a bit looser than they appear from the outside.

Camaraderie, do you suggest that transient docks can be used for months at a time? I guess that's all up to the harbor master.

CaptainForce, you mentioned living aboard in MA as if that were absolutely unheard of. Are there many states that have state mandates against liveaboards? If so, what state department would ask to find that out?
Or do you know off the top of your head a number of states that vehemently reject liveaboards?

Thanks all!

CaptainForce 01-20-2009 01:15 PM

"CaptainForce, you mentioned living aboard in MA as if that were absolutely unheard of."

I don't recall anything said about MA....Massachusetts? We know liveaboards in Boston, Provencetown, & Onset. Georiga is the only state I know of that seems to have direct statutes outlawing livingaboard, but, even there, some are managing to remain aboard by interpretations that are in their favor. After retiring in 2002 Nancie and I have been cruising from Maine to the Bahamas with the seasons and we have often "lived aboard" at transient docks for an open-ended stay. We never stayed more than a couple months, but knew we were welcome to extend iftit was our choice. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

macfhearguis 01-20-2009 02:21 PM

You sure didn't say anything about MA.
I had been reading the post from my email, and it seems the formatting separated the marina just after the 'ma'.
I just read through it too fast and came up with a new question based on misinterpretation.

Thanks for the answer, still!:D