Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
I don't think 30 feet is too small either. I currently have two boats, a Westerly Pageant; a 23 foot english pocket crusier. I've lived in it for going on two years. It is small, but it's plenty of room for me. I can cruise for a week with my girlfriend and daughter.
There are some pictures in here: Flickr: endeavor_64's Photostream
I just bought a 30 footer a few weeks ago, a yankee 30. I was looking for something a little bigger, the enclosed head is nice. But the main feature was speed. The Westerly is a little sluggish.
You can see the interior of the Yankee here: Winterhawk Restoration
I think there is a lot to the go small, go now. And the best part is small boats can be had for cheap, and systems/maintenence tend to cost less.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It really depends on what your priorities are. Strathgowan was a blog about a couple who lived aboard an Alberg 30 with their toddler son. IIRC, they've since moved up in size, since they've now got two or three children, but it was doable for them—because it was their priority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-06-2009

deberg351 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to deberg351
Like a lot of people have said, it depends almost entirely on a combination of your personality, where you are in life, and your ability to draw a distinction between the stuff you need and the stuff you want.

If you're able to part with the things most people insist on surrounded themselves with, you'll be golden (and, I suspect, life will be simpler).

I know a married couple who spent their honeymoon on a 24' (I believe it was a Bristol, I could be wrong), and liked it so much, they bought one and lived on it together for two years. They moved ashore after their second kid, but it was exactly right for them during that time in their life.
Old 03-08-2009

Keldee is on a distinguished road
Is a 30 footer too small? For what? for how many? What is your expectations ? what are you willing to give up? what do you hope to gain?
Not a simple question.
As far as I am concerned a 30 footer is not too small .I lived on a 27 footer for 2 years with my husband and a small dog spending that time in the Keys and the Bahamas and mainly at anchor and with no shower and no refridgeration and very little money.We have no horror stories to tell and had a great deal of fun.
What do you want?
Old 03-08-2009
M2 - 33.5 Hunter

jgaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jgaddis
I think 30 is big enough. I have a 34 and its to big for me, difficult to sail by my self (most of my passangers do not know how to sail).
Old 03-08-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
My Yankee 30 and a Catalina 30 (for example), are two very different boats. While a foot more beam in the Catalina doesn't seem like much on paper, the actual difference down below is startling. On the other hand, the difference in performance is equally noticeable. I know of a couple that live quite happily on a Yankee, though two people seems tight for me. Also "living aboard" while cruising is very different than doing it while working in the "real world". As already mentioned, a mild climate makes things a lot easier.

Last edited by L124C; 03-11-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
l thought so
A 30' beam should be fine

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-08-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2009
Author in Hawaii

OrioninHawaii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to OrioninHawaii
L124C has a great point- here in Hawaii it's much easier to live aboard a small boat as the weather usually gives you all that additional deck space to be on- my neighbors across the dock have 3 kids under the age of 6 and live aboard a 30 ft custom gaff rigged wooden sail boat-They're experienced sailors and feel they have plenty of room now (of course when those boys get to be teenagers all bets are off lol!)
When my husband and I were looking for our boat I was overly concerned with length and over the years came to realize that it has nothing really to do with whether the boat is a great liveaboard or not.
(I used to be like the guy in "Jaws"... "We need a bigger boat...")
Look in a range and don't rule out those 27 footers...
Old 03-08-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
30.2small

Twenty two was not too small. Just too slow and too swing-keel. I got a 24' and couldn't ask for more.

Let me give you a formula about boats.

Fun=a* 1/length

a is an arbitrary constant determined by the user.
Old 03-08-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
It depends on the couple and the number of children! My wife and I moved aboard a 30' sloop than we bought in 1971. By 1973 we moved to a 33' boat, but when our two chidren were 7 and 9 years old we went ot a 41' boat. We could go back to the 30' and do well, but we're spoiled by the 41'. Our kids have long since moved away and the aft cabin is largely empty. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew