Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
We could live on our Catalina 30. It has everything we have at home, except the yardwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2009
to smart for mensa

findthejake is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to findthejake
I live on my Lancer 30' just fine!!
Old 03-10-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
A 30' beam should be fine
Yeah, very livable, but the berth would be expensive, and tough to find!
Old 03-10-2009

SVVita is on a distinguished road
I've not lived on a boat before, but it is in the plans. I will be retiring in the next few years and am looking forward to cruising. My dream yacht is an Alberg 30, however I am not sure that I will be able to fit everything my wife and I psychologically believe we need on board. We were aboard a friends Bayfield 32C and found that it was far too large for us. We felt like we were in an auditorium. I guess there has to be some middle ground. Perhaps I am too simple, but I can't see how a couple could possibly live in a 40 footer, they're positively huge. Along the same lines, how does a couple justify a 3000 sq ft house? If I can squeeze a shower and stove with oven into an Alberg 30, thats where we'll be. Cozy beside our little wood burning stove. Too much?
Old 03-11-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
I raced a Heritage One Ton (38 ft)for many years with a mixed crew of 6 to 8. It was a croud. We often talked about cruising that boat but with the IOR nipped in stern and long narrow bow it would have been like camping. there was a 41 footer near us with a hard chine and about 6" of cabin height. The hard chine stretched the flat part of the cabin floor a lot. the transom was broad and the inside of the boat was a palace. I am really impressed with the volume and comfortable space in the modern smaller boats with the wide transoms and beamy interiors. Some of the recent 30's hold way more space than a lot of the older 40's. There are many people cruising boats smaller than 30. There are many options here and what you intend to do with the boat makes a great difference. Will you day-sail? coast-wise cruise? island hop? circumnavigate? How much fuel and water will you need to carry? How much pantry and refrigerated space is enough?

We intend to cruise extensively off shore so we went for space and mass. Our Camper is 58 feet and displaces 55,000. It has a full keel with swing centerboard and skeg mounted rudder. It is packed with amenities but it was fitted out to be crewed by one or two. We plan to have our kids and grandchildren join us part of the time. When we decided to retire it was either a large place in Naples or this reltively tiny little boat.
Old 03-16-2009

jeffls is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jeffls
I have no idea if 30' is big enough buy that isn't stopping me from buying a 31' sloop and moving aboard. I have already sold my harley and the volvo is next, then goes the piano and the guitars minus my fav. I fig I spent two of the last 3 years in iraq so no matter how small a sailboat it will be an improvement over sand!!!! The sloop has an icebox, propane stovetop, porti potty toilet, and no shower so it will be roughing it so to speak but def worth it for the traveling. Once I get used to living on it I'll come back and let you know if its too small for me!!!
Old 03-16-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I managed well on my 30ft. boat. Did some cruising on it too. Lived on the boat for years alone. It was more like camping with no Fridge, or freezer, but it wasn't hardship. That was at 40 yrs of age.

The only way I could do that again at 58 is if I lost everything, and had to massively downsize. If needed I would do that in a heartbeat. It would be a whole lot better than living on dirt......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2009
SouthernComfort

Hillster is on a distinguished road
jeffls,

You'll do fine. in a while you will add a refridge system for the icebox, get a real marine head put in and you will be living large.

A porta potti and icebox will due just fine also. Even though I have a shower on board, I use the marina showers 99% of the time (keeps mine clean )
Old 03-18-2009

deryk is on a distinguished road
Wink

Yeah a boat can be fixed up to be nice with a little bit of time, money, and effort. My old gal (1969 Morgan 34) is being renovated, hopeing in the next few months to ditch the 120 volt fridge and install a 12 volt icebox, gimbaled propane stove (still debating between a stove oven combo in propane, or just a 2 burned propane stove and build in a cabinet for a 120 volt convection oven/microwave since Im still in the working world) Counter space is always an issue if your gonna cook, Ive added a teak foldup leaf about 3ft by 1.5ft so I can actually lay out what Im working on... still havent installed a proper salon table yet... but hey she is a work in progress
Old 03-24-2009

kekkul is on a distinguished road
I am looking for 30 feet boat, for take a great trip around caribbean sea, i want buy in the United States.

Last edited by kekkul; 03-24-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.