Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009

hynes57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
What a ridiculous way to introduce yourself.
Hey "keldee" and "knothead", please try to obey the rules and keep your comments focused on the topic of the post only. Personal attacks are forbidden. I'll let it go this time, but any more attacks and I'll have to report you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hynes—

I don't see what Keldee and Knothead said as any kind of attack, merely commentary on your rather obnoxious first post, which was a comment on one of Keldee's posts. Just because what Keldee chose to do doesn't suit you, doesn't make it right for you to cop an attitude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-26-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Hynes,

I'm with SD, Keldee and Knothead on this one, YOU changed the topic with those ridiculous comments about dogs and women. I'm okay with irony and sarcasm, but that requires smileys.

Respectfully
JomsViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Hynesó

I don't see what Keldee and Knothead said as any kind of attack, merely commentary on your rather obnoxious first post, which was a comment on one of Keldee's posts. Just because what Keldee chose to do doesn't suit you, doesn't make it right for you to cop an attitude.
Old 05-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
To each their own, but that arrangement sounds like a nightmare to me.

The first thing I would toss would be the yappie "small dog". Those sort of rodents would never have evolved but for the intervention of man with Natural Selection. At the first sign of a dog "mess" on board, over he'd go. There's no way the Captain is going clean-up after little Poopsy on my boat.

The second thing to go would be the wife. "No shower and no refrigeration" pretty much eliminates both reasons for keeping a wife around in the first place: cooking during the day and companionship at night. Next port, she's gone, too.

Having paired things down to just me and the 27-footer, the situation would then seem livable to me.

Every person is allowed their own opinion, but I think I might have found a different way of presenting it. Sometimes it is not what you say, but how you say it. Mind your bearing.

ANd FYI, you would be absolutely amazed at what people live on and cruise on at the coast. They find a way to make it work. Could I? Nope, I couldn't. Probably my loss too - but I enjoyed amenities. We did keep two dogs on board which to be honest is a pain... but we loved them. To many people, their dogs are family and they simply put up with the resulting difficulties (and there are many). We also did it with an infant.

The bottom line is that I am a true believer in: It is not what you have on board that makes it work, but you attitude that makes it work.

Brian

PS A pic of our yougest (somewhere offf the coast of FL) watching a movie off the computer (did not have room for a TV too) and one of the dogs in the background.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-26-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I could live nicely on a 30 footer, and if alone, could be comfortable with a 22 footer. (But I've also lived out of a backpack for a months at a time.)
What you can live on depends entirely on what you consider indispensable equipment. My wife considers a television as indispensable, I may watch it two hours a month, (my record so far has been four hours one week on a mythbusters marathon) so for her I need to have room for a TV/dvd etc, and the required equipment to run it.

Make a list of what you NEED, determine what is needed to use what you need, and then figure out how much space is required for that and the required support equipment. (if you need a refrigerator, you need a power source large enough to run it, if you're happy with an icebox, you need one large enough to hold the food you need along with the ice required)
Another determining factor is how often you can re-supply, if you can restock every couple of days, you can get by with less storage space, if you can't re-supply for a week or two at a time, you need more room simply to store things.

So minimum size depends entirely on what you need.

Ken.
Old 05-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I would suggest looking at the Philosophies of Cruising thread. It is meant to be a review of many people's backgrounds that have (and have not) cruised and their thoughts about what they liked, what worked, and what did not.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-26-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
Hey "keldee" and "knothead", please try to obey the rules and keep your comments focused on the topic of the post only. Personal attacks are forbidden. I'll let it go this time, but any more attacks and I'll have to report you.
Ah me, some muvvas do 'ave 'em, don't they ?

There are certain standards we expect of Trolls in these here parts Mr (Mrs, Miss Ms ?) Hynes57. You'll need to up your game if you expect to be considered noteworthy.

Right now you are barely registering on the 'pratt' scale.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.