SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   30 footer too small? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/51141-30-footer-too-small.html)

raceman 02-03-2009 09:57 PM

30 footer too small?

l thought so

Giulietta 02-03-2009 10:06 PM

Good post..I agree fully..

Altough 30 is smaller than 80, it's bigger than 10..

That rolling Stones guy married a 20 year old girl..so now 68 goes into 20....I guess

Hillster 02-03-2009 10:30 PM

Depends on the 30 footer. Also depends on the personality of the person too. I would have no problem living on a nice Kirie 30 for example, but would find a 30 foot cape dory a bit small and cramped. I live on a 32' and have no wants. Anything more would simply be extra for me.

rireefguy 02-04-2009 02:03 PM

I think that even a 40 footer is "too small" lol... I am going to be moving on to my 31 Pearson for the summer to give it a try. I think it will be ok for just me, but I will let you know =)

padean 02-04-2009 02:38 PM

Size matters?

No, 30' is not too small, with the right kind of boat. If you are looking for a large aft double birth and two heads, forget it. If you are looking for comfortable accommodations, with small but appropriate amenities, there are several boats out there that will work. When I look at the people living on 30' or smaller boats, they are usually very happy, but have done what most of us will not do, which is to get rid of the extras that make life easier (and usually more complicated). This is getting way to philosophical, and I've not had enough beer for that....

I would be very happy on a 30' boat, unfortunately my wife is unlikely to be very happy on anything less than 40' (particularly after she saw the Hanse and Tartans at Strictly Sail in Chicago - really stupid mistake letting her on those boats). Be patient, find the "right" boat, and get rid of everything you don't need.

STTnBama 02-04-2009 04:52 PM

I lived on a Pearson 367 for 2 years and it was more than enough room for me and also my father who was with me. I'm on the hunt for a 30' footer to liveaboard stateside. Probably gonna end up with something along the lines of a Catalina 30 or Hunter 30. I don't intend it to be offshore and it's there also more boat for your money.

Dick Pluta 02-04-2009 07:08 PM

All depends on you and where you are. I lived on my Pearson 30 for about a year, including a Michigan winter. It was like camping. Alcohol stove. Foot pump water. Trudging through the snow to take a shower and then coming back wet wasn't nice. Same for going to the toilet in the middle of the night. Water from Jugs. Don't use the head at the dock. Not real nice. Sitting at the dock with a cold drink on a summer evening. Socializing with dock neighbors. Great! All in all, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I don't think I would want to do it now. If you need air conditioning, pressure water, a real kitchen, like my wife, out 41 footer is just about right, although in fairness, I must admit she survived a month down the ICW on the Pearson.

Dick Plta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas

southernwind 02-12-2009 05:11 PM

CSY 33 isnt too small if your alone and the motion rating is awesome

kjango 02-13-2009 07:09 AM

When I decided I was going to run away & live on a sailboat.....the first & most importent thing I did was lose the 4000 sq ft house & all possessions until everything I owned fit in my Ford Explorer . I don't even think about all that now & I don't have the words to express how happy I am . So my thought is that the size of the boat is secondary to what you're willing to pare down to .

southernwind 03-03-2009 12:42 PM

to me one thing i see is a major difference between land people and boat people is the way they shop. It affects you more than you think if you have a house you don't give much thought to it but on a boat it is major. and i do mean major even a magazine isn't much but what about 30 or a hundred. you have enough paper in a house to sink a lot of 30 footers. if you can plan your life that good then any size boat would work. Lynn and Larry Pardey have never lived on a boat bigger than 32' i think and they have over 350000 miles at sea. its all in how well you can plan your life.